Audio pops from .mxf in Vegas Video 8.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Tourist

Audio pops from .mxf in Vegas Video 8.0

Camera - PMW-EX1, NLE - Vegas Video 8.0

I created my .mxf files through the latest clip browsing utility from Sony and when I imported the files into Vegas I now receive a "popping" and "clicking" noise over the audio track. The video looks great and the only way I can get rid of the pops is to bring the video into Adobe Audition and run the filter. I have tried many different things to get this resolved and I am at whits end. Any suggestions?

48hz, 16 bit audio is what the properties of the file say, I have matched up my settings in the project properties as well.

Thank you!
Bob Knauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Is this the first or only clip this has happened on?

- Ray
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Tourist

I probably have about 40 clips from my project I shot and all 40 .mxf files have the same issue. As I mentioned, in the clip browser, they sound great.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Knauf View Post

I created my .mxf files through the latest clip browsing utility from Sony and when I imported the files into Vegas I now receive a "popping" and "clicking" noise over the audio track. The video looks great and the only way I can get rid of the pops is to bring the video into Adobe Audition and run the filter. I have tried many different things to get this resolved and I am at whits end. Any suggestions?

48hz, 16 bit audio is what the properties of the file say, I have matched up my settings in the project properties as well.

Thank you!

I Have had the same problem audio is fine when played with the clip browsing software but in Vegas you here the popping
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Brian and and Bob, have you tried to render from Vegas 8? Probably the popping is completely gone in the rendered file. I myself have experienced this quite often with HDV-audio as well.
Anyway: I'd like to know the cause of these popping/clicking audio artifacts, too.
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Tourist

I have tried to render the file and the popping is still there.
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Sorry guys,
I just tried and cannot repo this. I have some more clips elsewhere with some reasonable audio on them that I played out a few days ago and it sounded remarkably good, certainly no clicks.

The most common cause of what you're hearing is sample rate errors although Vegas will normally do a sample rate conversion without causing any clicks. Are your project properties set to 16/48K? If so try changing Resample to Best in the Audio tab of the project properties.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I second that - no clicks here.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Bob Knauf, if possible please mail me a short clip, I'd like to reproduce it.
mann.michael@online.de
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Knauf View Post

Thank you!
Bob did figure out what the problem was. I getting same noise plays ok in clip broswer when I convert to .mxf popping sound on most clips in Vegas Pro 8. I did A shoot this weekend for a friend I can hear the noise in every clip on the DVD. I going to try bringing the clips in with Cineform to see if the noise is still there.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Bob did figure out what the problem was. I getting the same noise plays ok in clip broswer when I convert to .mxf popping sound on most clips in Vegas Pro 8. I did A shoot this weekend for a friend I can hear the noise in every clip on the DVD. I going to try bringing the clips in with Cineform to see if the noise is still there.
The noise is not there when I use Cineform

Sample MXF file with noise
http://www.dvdaction.net/dvdaction_048.htm
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have quite similiar probelm. When I preview a clip on Vegas 8.0 I can hear popping sound but when I drop that clip into vegas timeline, it is not there.

Also after render it is not there too.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I really wish that Sony would add native EX1 MP4 file support to Vegas Video. I really don't want to keep large repositories of MP4 files around and then go through the process of making MXF files. Clip browser has its value in stiching together large clips or cutting them, but the Vegas timeline would be faster. VLC media player is faster for previewing MP4 clips, although the audio is not understood. (Weird, because the audio is uncompressed).
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I really wish that Sony would add native EX1 MP4 file support to Vegas Video. I really don't want to keep large repositories of MP4 files around and then go through the process of making MXF files. Clip browser has its value in stiching together large clips or cutting them, but the Vegas timeline would be faster. VLC media player is faster for previewing MP4 clips, although the audio is not understood. (Weird, because the audio is uncompressed).

The next update for vegas will allow using files from EX1. July i think.

Paul.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
The next update for vegas will allow using files from EX1. July i think.

Paul.
Is based on reliable information?

Rgds,

Eva
Eva Sturm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds