Portabrace camera body armor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Portabrace camera body armor

Have just had delivery of the CBA-EX1 portabrace body armor for the EX1

It didn't fit properly. Access to the lens grip on the right was not possible.
And proper access to the left side was difficult. I called Portabrace in the states and they agreed that their design had problems.

Has anybody bought the Rain Slicker for the EX1? Does that fit properly and full access left and right of the camera? Or are there any suggestions for alternatives? Ideally to protect the camera as well as provide a cover for rain.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Major Player

I have the rain slicker and I didn't find any problems with it appart from it being a little tight around my hand when I reach for the focus ring. No big deal though. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it. Search for it.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, that doesn't sound good, any chance of posting some pictures of the issues you see? I have an order in for one and will probably cancel it now.

thanks for letting us know.

paul.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I also received my CBA-EX1 while in Fl and could not use it. It also does not fit well and the rain cover is not a rain cover at all it would let water in a few spots due to poor design and fit.

Paul I would cancel until they fix the pattern.

I am contacting them today to discuss the matter.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Paul, it's canceled.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Major Player

I wouldn't cancel the raincover only based on what I wrote. Like I said - no biggie. Have not used it in rain yet but it seems to be very water proof. What problems did you see with the design of the rain cover Paul?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ola the body armor and rain cover did not fit properly. Both were too small. The mic opening in the cover is a problem if you do not have a external mic to seal the opening plus it did not seal well at all on the lens. Also when having a rain cover for me it needs to be lower then the camera to prevent splashes coming up from underneath.

I will go back to a Kata Rain cover I have been using for the last few years simple but very effective.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
I wouldn't cancel the raincover only based on what I wrote. Like I said - no biggie. Have not used it in rain yet but it seems to be very water proof. What problems did you see with the design of the rain cover Paul?
The rain slicker is a different product though, the whole point of the body armour is that it stays on the camera all the time protecting it from bumps and scratches. If this makes using the camera difficult then it's probably not worth it.

I'm trying to choose between the PB rain slicker and the Kata cover, and I have to say that even though the Kata cover looks very simple, it looks like it's the easiest to use.
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Has the PB Body Armor design been fixed since this thread began?

I've read the threads on rain covers for the EX1 but they're all from back in 2008. I need protection for an EX1R and prefer to not view the LCD through plastic as in the Kata and Petrol designs.

The Body Armor idea sounds fine but I'm confused by the photos on the PB site. One photo shows just the blue armor but the LHS is tightly covered by plastic. Another shows the quickslick rain cover added to it so there's now two layers of plastic over the LHS. Then there's a bottom view that shows the classic PB Rain Cover hood for flip out LCD screens. This photo looks more like the full Rain cover and not the Body Armor...not sure.

Can anyone provide an update on the PB Body Armor good and bad? TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Les.

I've been very happy with the Kata Rain-Cover. Sorry I've not followed the alternative products since 2008 when this thread was created so I can't really help.

Good luck with your search.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Page 142 of the EX3 operating manual:

"Do not cover the unit while operating
Putting a cloth, for example, over the unit can cause excessive internal heat build-up."
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Epilog:
I noticed the part number on B&H now shows a Porta Brace CBA-EX1R model for the body armor so I ordered one. It took 4 minutes to install.

There's good access to the LHS and the nylon strap that supports the big LHS opening is surprisingly not in the way. The White Balance button requires a little navigating of the strap as does Assign 4 and Shutter..

The cover fits with the Westside AV plate (I have only the base plate).

As you would expect, the SWIT 8U62 or any other large battery prevents the cover from fully closing on the back. But it does cover across the top to provide effective dust/sun/wind protection.

The top buttons are covered by a flap and frequent access would be a pain as the flap is velcro'd down. However in usual Porta Brace fashion, that flap neatly rolls and velcros open.

The 3 LHS assign buttons are the hardest to get to but the rest of the left hand side is quite usable (IMHO).

I don't care for the rain slicker being permanently attached with a strap. It makes for a bulky storage pocket and I intend to cut if off to store elsewhere.

Oh, I don't know why but the B&H site shows the body armor as black. That's wrong. It's classic PB blue. In retrospect, i think the B&H picture is a black and white photo.

CORRECTION: The nylon strap supporting the large LHS opening actually covers the iris ring. I didn't notice initially because it was, well, ummm covered. Fortunately, the iris ring is still accessible to operate but not to read directly off the ring. I recall this problem on the XH-A1 cover and after putting up with it, I ended up removing the strap. Frankly I don't understand it's purpose anyway. YMMV

Last edited by Les Wilson; January 22nd, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Major Player

My PortaBrace CBA-EX1 coverfit OK.
It is a very tight fit and took awhile to figure out hoe to put it on.
Worked well in the rain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds