DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   How do I connect my EX-1 to my HD television? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115611-how-do-i-connect-my-ex-1-my-hd-television.html)

Michael Javorka February 23rd, 2008 06:47 PM

How do I connect my EX-1 to my HD television?

I have shot a fair amount of material on my new Ex-1, including last night's Barack Obama rally here in Austin. The guide that came with the camera shows 3 options for connecting the camera to a TV/monitor. Two of these only result in analog in to the TV, including the one I've opted for in these past weeks: the component out to red, green, blue input cords. The footage looks pretty "non-HD". So today I went all over town and also searched the Web for the digital version: coming out of the SDI port of the camera and into the TV. The closest I came was using BNC out of the camera and then coaxial into the Sharp Aquos 1080p set via the "cable/antenna" input on the TV. It didn't work... the TV found the connection as "analog" and I'm stumped. Note: there isn't an "SDI in" port on the TV, as is suggested there might be in the camera's manual.

Help! I bought the TV so I could actually view my high def content critically on a large screen. I know this can be done... what cables and which port do I need to view my material in true digital HD?

Michael Javorka, Austin

Tyler Franco February 23rd, 2008 07:56 PM

SDI inputs are normally only found on high end broadcast monitors and are a completely different animal than RF or antenna inputs as you found out.

You want to use the component cables provided with the camera. Make sure you have the camera set to output HD material via the component output from within the camera's menu. You may have the SD downconversion on which would have made your video not look very HD. Also try to match your TV's resolution to what your video is. If you shot in 1080p, be sure to set your TV to 1080p. 720p would be set to 720p. Some TV's only have one native resolution and all signals are converted to that when input, so your TV may vary.

Greg Boston February 23rd, 2008 08:45 PM

Michael, HDSDI is a high speed serial data stream and no, your TV set won't know what to do with it on the antenna input.

You will have to buy an HDSDI to component converter, except your camera already has component HD output capability so as Tyler says, use that option.

-gb-

George Sickler February 23rd, 2008 09:26 PM

Would an HD SDI to HDMI convertor work?

Michael Javorka February 23rd, 2008 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info here. I was indeed wondering if I needed some kind of aftermarket converter box. Following the last suggestion, I searched under "HD SDI to HDMI converter". What appears as an option, albeit a $700 option, is this: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/

I assume that after my editors work with this, they can return to me fully HD quality DVD's for my review... or would that take a Blu-Ray? I have an upconverting DVD player. Essentially, what do people like myself do when they shoot material like I see in luscious HD on Discovery... that's the material I'm producing, but when and how do I get to see it in all it's glory? When I download the MP4 clips to my Mac, Quicktime Pro can't open them at all.

Seems like I have further investment in a converter box in order to view my imagery in HD cinematic quality. Yes?

Valeriu Campan February 23rd, 2008 09:48 PM

Michael,
You can try this, for about $400:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...DTV_Video.html

Rob Collins February 23rd, 2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Javorka (Post 831738)
When I download the MP4 clips to my Mac, Quicktime Pro can't open them at all.

You need to convert the MP4 files to .mov using XDCAM Transfer app. Add the Blackmagic Intensity card for $300 and you can see via HDMI on a HDTV.

Standard DVD's are not HD. For Blu-ray on a Mac, you need the drive plus Adobe Encore at the moment.

Michael Javorka February 23rd, 2008 10:11 PM

Continued thanks for the tips herein. The XDCAM software I have for Mac is only the ClipBrowser. The other is labeled SXS Device Driver. The prompt I get is that these apps are not supported on my computer's architecture. I'm running Leopard OS X on a 3 year old Powerbook G4. I wonder what "architecture" I need to run this.

See gentlemen, I shoot "stock" for Getty. I don't edit it, I don't even record audio. I just shoot compelling footage and deliver it for placement with end users. But geeze... I'd love to be able to at least open the silly clips on my computer... and yep... watch them on my TV/monitor. Perhaps I need to cultivate a friendship with a post house here in Austin who will just let me sit for 15 minutes now and then and view my files in true HD on their monitors via their converter box. At least until I buy the Blackmagic.

Addition thoughts are more than appreciated. By the way... it's only going to get sillier when my 4K Red arrives this summer! Wow... I moved from 35mm cinematography to video and the technical learning curve has been daunting but exciting.

Michael H. Stevens February 23rd, 2008 11:12 PM

Michael: I don't think you need to be buying more hardware which is quickly being replaced. Clip-Browser is not the software you need. Get the right software. I just shot some great wild flowers (high altitude moderately bright sun and straight CINE1), popped the SxS in the laptop, converted to .mxf (you will likely use .mov) quick CC and render to m2t, plug in the HDMI cable and play on the HD LSD TV. It's as easy as getting pissed in a brewery. You just got the wrong software. Well, that's what I think.

Craig Seeman February 24th, 2008 12:39 AM

Sony's XDCAM Transfer Tool will work on PPC Mac.

VLC will play the MP4 files directly on a PPC Mac.

MPEGStreamclip will apparently convert the .MOV files created by Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool to other formats too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Javorka (Post 831751)
Continued thanks for the tips herein. The XDCAM software I have for Mac is only the ClipBrowser. The other is labeled SXS Device Driver. The prompt I get is that these apps are not supported on my computer's architecture. I'm running Leopard OS X on a 3 year old Powerbook G4. I wonder what "architecture" I need to run this.

See gentlemen, I shoot "stock" for Getty. I don't edit it, I don't even record audio. I just shoot compelling footage and deliver it for placement with end users. But geeze... I'd love to be able to at least open the silly clips on my computer... and yep... watch them on my TV/monitor. Perhaps I need to cultivate a friendship with a post house here in Austin who will just let me sit for 15 minutes now and then and view my files in true HD on their monitors via their converter box. At least until I buy the Blackmagic.

Addition thoughts are more than appreciated. By the way... it's only going to get sillier when my 4K Red arrives this summer! Wow... I moved from 35mm cinematography to video and the technical learning curve has been daunting but exciting.

Zsolt Gordos February 24th, 2008 05:44 AM

Michael, if I get it right you have 2 issues:
1) connecting your cam to your TV and
2) produce material with Mac based system that will play back HD

For No1, you have found what you need, the Blackmagic converter. I would also look around in http://www.convergent-design.com/ for second option.

As for the material you can produce (No2) and show your clients or view for your own fun, I suggest you to get a PS3 (now prices are down) and in your Final Cut Studio output your final work as an .m2t file, burn it on a dual layer DVD.
It will play back HD in your PS3. I assume your TV has HDMI, so connecting PS3 wont be an issue. PS3 however wont play back .mov files.
While dual layer has limitation in terms of file size (you cannot burn a full length feature movie on it), it is a cool workaround to avoid burning Blu Ray.

You cannot make menus with this - but at least your movie will be presentable.

Sean Donnelly February 24th, 2008 03:11 PM

Michael, you don't need the HDLink pro, the standard HDLink ($419) will more than cover what you need and includes a DVI to HDMI adapter. It will also allow you to apply a LUT and switch to blue only which will allow you to adjust for the shortcomings of using a consumer TV for monitoring. The pro model adds 3D LUT's and an SDI loop-through, neither of which it sounds like you need at this point.

-Sean

Keith Rollinson February 24th, 2008 04:43 PM

Michael, the Aja Hi5 is what you want to go from HD/SD-SDI to HDMI, to display at the best quality on your television:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Rob Collins February 24th, 2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 831908)
As for the material you can produce (No2) and show your clients or view for your own fun, I suggest you to get a PS3 (now prices are down) and in your Final Cut Studio output your final work as an .m2t file, burn it on a dual layer DVD.
It will play back HD in your PS3. I assume your TV has HDMI, so connecting PS3 wont be an issue. PS3 however wont play back .mov files.
While dual layer has limitation in terms of file size (you cannot burn a full length feature movie on it), it is a cool workaround to avoid burning Blu Ray.

You cannot make menus with this - but at least your movie will be presentable.

How exactly do you burn the .m2t to DVD? Just as data? Also, how do you create the .m2t file? Does this also work with set-top Blu-ray players (that accept BD-R)? Thanks.

Tyler Franco February 24th, 2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Collins (Post 832218)
How exactly do you burn the .m2t to DVD? Just as data? Also, how do you create the .m2t file? Does this also work with set-top Blu-ray players (that accept BD-R)? Thanks.

Will not work on set tops, just the PS3. I know of no way to export .m2t files on a mac (maybe MPEGStreamclip does this), but maybe someone else will. It would be as data though. I still don't think you need to spend $500 to convert the hd sdi to hdmi, just use the component connection... it looks great!