DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Fuzz on the INSIDE of my lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/115653-fuzz-inside-my-lens.html)

Andrew Wilson February 24th, 2008 01:15 PM

Fuzz on the INSIDE of my lens

This morning I was looking at footage I shot yesterday and saw a black thing floating toward the bottom of the frame.

When I checked my camera, there was a little piece of white fuzz on the inside of the lens - on the bottom of the main glass!

I had to unscrew the inside threaded ring that keeps the lens in place, pull out the glass and blow the fuzz out. Have no idea how that would get in there... I also have a UV filter on the front of my glass.

Steven Thomas February 24th, 2008 01:29 PM

Wow...
I'm trying to picture what you did.
Did you take pictures of this process?

Piotr Wozniacki February 24th, 2008 01:49 PM

Looks like you're not the only one:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=126432

Andrew Wilson February 24th, 2008 01:53 PM

heh. no pictures. I got two very small eyeglasses screwdrivers and used the holes in the ring to twist out the ring. After that, it was just a matter of picking out the lens by an outside rim using the same screwdrivers.

It was all pretty easy but taking pictures was the last thing on my mind.

Brad Vaughan February 24th, 2008 06:36 PM

Very weird and frustrating!

I hope we can figure out where that opening is so we can seal it up.

Nothing like something getting on the inside of the lens only to see it on the footage later!

Andrew Wilson February 24th, 2008 08:30 PM

There's also no reason to believe that the fuzz wasn't always in there and some bolt of static electricity brought it forward and stuck it to the backside of the lens.

That piece of glass in the lens comes out pretty easily. Makes me wonder if the placement of that piece of glass had anything to do with the vignetting issue.

David Hadden February 25th, 2008 12:36 AM

Nothing like a story like that to scare the poop out of ya when you're looking to buy :)

Thanks for the heads up on this being a potential issue to watch for.

Dave

Paul Joy February 25th, 2008 03:13 AM

Sounds scary, but it's good to know that swapping out the front element is possible without major disassembly of the lens if it gets damaged.

Mind you, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get hold of a replacement.

Andrew Wilson February 25th, 2008 06:24 AM

Be careful of what you wish for

Impossible to handhold...

reusable (digital) magazines...

Having to "check the gate" after every take...

We wanted a more film-like experience, we're the only ones to blame. ;)

Alexander Kubalsky February 25th, 2008 08:28 AM

kubalsky from Dvx here..

Andrew, seems we had the same problem at the same time. Are the holes you mean the four on front of the lens of the Ex? By putting two awls in two of the holes and turning you could unscrew the front lens? When I looked close at this piece I noticed a small residue of one side of something like a sealant/glue that may have sealed this piece on permanently. Not the case? I don't want to risk turning this only to hear the crack of glued plastic shattering along with my limited warranty.

Andrew Wilson February 25th, 2008 09:13 AM

Yes, there was about 1/4 inch of little blue-tinted sealant along the edge of the ring with the 4 holes. I just ran an exacto knife around the edge. It was pretty hard to get started but once it started urning, it came of pretty easily and went back on just as easily.

After the ring was off, I just rubbed off any flaking sealant.

George Kroonder February 25th, 2008 09:27 AM

The sealent may also have been there to prevent water/damp/codensation from entering the lens.

Andrew, I think you're a brave man for taking a wrench to the lens! Just make sure you're not getting into more trouble...

George/

Alexander Kubalsky February 25th, 2008 09:50 AM

Open heart surgery...

I was thinking that too. Maybe the sealant is important. But does it run the whole circumference or is it just run for a token section to hold the lens in place? Im going to ask at a few repair shops in Akihabara on saturday about this and also whether a tool is available that is designed to open it. I imagine sony has a spherical device with four small posts that lock in so you can twist it off easily.

Im whimping out of breaking the seal on this thing at the moment.

Awesome that you did it though.

Andrew Wilson February 25th, 2008 05:36 PM

The seal was very tiny. Definitely did not go all the way around the ring. Probably as wide as my little finger.

Brave?? not so much. I needed to use the camera and sending it in for something I could fix in 10 minutes wasn't an option. It was pretty clear I could do it myself. It was a substantial piece of fuzz.

Chris Aaron March 22nd, 2008 04:53 PM

annoyed at manufacturing defects

I just found shavings inside my lens...very irresponsible of them...

Will Sony pay for shipping? They better...booooo on Sony...