ex1 disaster scenario, any options? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #31
Major Player

cheap trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
How about a few 16GB USB memory sticks (or even 32GB) which can be USB powered and can hold a duplicate copy of the data until you get a chance to do a permanent backup.
You're right Mike...16GB memory stick...$74.95...Just get 2-16's and 2 8's to go with the 2 16 Sonys and 2 8 Sonys. That's a terrific idea!

Back up first to the drive then to the USB...this way it's in two places.
I need to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #32
Major Player

Craig,

I have been doing exactly this for 2 months. It works a treat. You can just put your USB sticks in your pocket - so if something happens to the laptop (theft) you still have a backup copy.
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM   #33
Major Player

If your back-upping to a good USB-stick I think you are pretty much safe. If you use the SxS cards only you also have risk of it failing but it is very small. So I guess SxS to USB-stick through laptop is a pretty solid workflow. Like someone mentioned before... if you want to avoid all risks you need at least two camera's, two laptops and basically two operators as something can happen to you as well. But USB-sticks are very affordable.

It would be nice when you camera could record straight to a USB-stick. Those things are cheap, reliable (have 5 and not a single issue) and universal.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #34
Tourist

In my opinion best(and cheap) option to USB sticks would be 2,5'' external hard drives. Much cheaper Gb/$ ratio compared to USB sticks... What do you think?
Eldar Lanvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM   #35
Major Player

Eldar,

I do that too. Back up to USB sticks, and also to 2.5inch HDD. The USB sticks live in my pocket and are safe. THe HDD lives with the laptop and is the data backup for the laptop. At a later stage just burn the USB stick to DVD for archiving.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #36
Major Player

Eldar, why do you want to drag a 2,5" HD with you? Harddisks are mechanical and have a higher fail ration. They also require external power.

I would say:

- Record to SxS
- Copy to notebook harddisk
- Copy to USB-stick
- Erase SxS and continue recording

And I wouldn't feel very bad about skipping the copy to notebook. You just need to check if everything copied properly. Does the transfer tool have a tool to verify the data you copied with the data on the SxS card?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #37
Trustee

I'm also using the 2.5" HDDs isntead of USB sticks.It power itself from the USB port actually so no external power needed, has more capacity, costs less for GB. I back up to my laptop HDD and to the external HDD. Then at home to DVD.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #38
Major Player

8 GB and 16GB USB sticks - - what a fantastic idea!!!
Would anyone recommend a good manufacturer... these things really need to be trustworthy...
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #39
Tourist

Corsair Flash Voyager GT 8GB USB2.0 High-Speed Flash Drive is the best option, IMHO!
Eldar Lanvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #40
Major Player

I would say Corsair or Sandisk. I have a Crusair Voyager and it is very decent and is completely covered in rubber which I think is very durable.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds