Laptop with sxs/34 card slot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Laptop with sxs/34 card slot

What laptop's with sxs/express 34 card slots are EX1 users using ?
And what are your experiences with these laptops,eg good or not so good ?
I'm in the market for one soon and want one with a slot so i don't have to carry the card reader around.
What sort of transfer speeds are you getting ?
I'm after pc not mac because i want to install vegas on it.
And will i need to install the sxs driver ?

Thanks,Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; February 29th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: forgot info
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have just placed an order for an Asus laptop, for just the reasons you mention. It has not arrived yet, so I cannot answer your speed question, but you will have to install the SxS driver.

I tested this on my wife's Dell. Without the driver, the OS just doesn't know the card is there. Install the driver and the OS sees the card.

I am really curious how the transfer speed using a laptop expresscard slot compares to the USB connection to the camera.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #3
New Boot

I'm using an Hp Dv6000 series. A Dv6780se to be exact. I don't know exact speeds of the express card downloads, but they are extremely quick and this tapeless work flow thing is just mind bogglingly cool.

If your still looking, one thing that you might consider is an HDMI output. My notebook has one that I connect to my home LCD.

Also, I just ordered an Express card 34 eSATA card for just under a hundred bucks. I'm going to hook that up to some eSATA external hard drives in a RAID 0
array. This will allow sustained data transfer speeds about three times as fast as the same external hard drives hooked up by USB 2.0 or Firewire. This should really help with getting around the small slow laptop drive limitation for video editing.
Michael Canion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Fujitsu Siemans do a number of models (Pi Amilo) that have Express 34 & 54 card slots. The only problem seems to be that Dabs and BT are the main stockists in the UK and their service is not a good experience.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I'm after pc not mac because i want to install vegas on it.
l.
Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Vegas (and for that matter PC) to Mac and FCP? Now Macs can run Windows natively....so you can get both worlds if you get a Mac, while pc will remain a pc...
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Also, I just ordered an Express card 34 eSATA card for just under a hundred bucks. I'm going to hook that up to some eSATA external hard drives in a RAID 0
array. This will allow sustained data transfer speeds about three times as fast as the same external hard drives hooked up by USB 2.0 or Firewire. This should really help with getting around the small slow laptop drive limitation for video editing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies guys.

Exprees to esata,i've just had loads of problems with esata cards and drives,read my other thread on nle editing on pc section. I've gone back to fautless firewire.

Zsolt,i'm getting used to vegas now,that's wht i want to stay with pc,i can alo install vegas on another pc if if want,so that's going on a laptop when i get one.
Paul.
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Oops... My other business is in computers and as a Fujitsu Siemens partner in The Netherlands I'd advise you to get a Service Pack upgrade with your notebook to extend the 1 year warranty for a nominal fee. Support is provided by the Fujitsu Siemens Service Center (telephone, repairs, etc.) so you're not dependant on any particular reseller.

However, AMILO's are full featured consumer notebooks (even with built in eSATA), but therefore all warranty is "Collect and Return", which means you will be out of a laptop a good week or so if it breaks on that rare occasion. This is on par with other A-brand service levels.

The 'professional' series notebooks (Esprimo, Lifebook) offer longer warranty and next business day onsite repair options, but may actually lack some of the multimedia-type features.

Just so you know ;-)

George.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for that info. I have a Fujitsu laptop bought nearly a year ago that is great and by luck has an express card slot. My comment on the suppliers is based on the fact that communication with them is only by email and some stupid chat line on the web. Life is too short to deal with such organisations.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well I have a Toshiba G45 and it has a Express card and a PCMCIA, firewire and USB2.0.

It will download a full SXS card (7.9GB) in less than 4 Minutes.

ciao
Charles Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds