DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Shot Transition not so soft (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116307-shot-transition-not-so-soft.html)

Simon Frances March 4th, 2008 02:22 PM

Shot Transition not so soft

Is there a way to make the transition smoother?

For instance when either zooming in or out, I have the Transition Curve set to Soft Trans, Time/Speed set to Time, the Trans Time set to 6, Speed set to 10.

The zoom starts out slow, gets to a certain point and then there is an abrupt acceleration, gets to another point, then an abrupt deceleration.

It doesn’t seem to matter what speed/time is set. I was wondering whether the transition curve could be changed, unless you guys know of anything else.

Regards,
Simon

Keith Malone March 5th, 2008 06:01 AM

Have you tried slowing down the zoom settings in the main camera menu for both Low and High?

Mark OConnell March 5th, 2008 03:57 PM

I noticed this too. There seem to be sweet spots for shot transition. Some combinations of speed and zoom are very smooth, others are clunky.

Michael Mann March 5th, 2008 04:04 PM

I never noticed this with the FX1.

Paul Cronin March 5th, 2008 04:16 PM

I also notice this and have not found a smooth one yet,

Oyvind Stokkan March 23rd, 2008 08:26 AM

Same thing happened with me. Only I tried a focus transition. Choppy as ever. This really sucks

Greg Voevodsky March 23rd, 2008 03:09 PM

I agree - completely worthless - not smooth at all especially the zoom.

Steve Sykes March 25th, 2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky (Post 847202)
I agree - completely worthless - not smooth at all especially the zoom.

I also agree, the zoom is significantly more noticeable whether set to speed or time. Another firmware recommendation!

Rainer Mann March 27th, 2008 03:04 AM

With my EX shot transition with zooming is ok - not perfect but ok. But the "transition" with focus works much too fast: not even a part of a second and it's done (just 2-3 frames). Is this normal? I thought I could get smooth focus transitions?

Steve Sykes March 27th, 2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Mann (Post 849208)
With my EX shot transition with zooming is ok - not perfect but ok. But the "transition" with focus works much too fast: not even a part of a second and it's done (just 2-3 frames). Is this normal? I thought I could get smooth focus transitions?

Have you set the transition to 'time' not 'speed'? 'Speed' is designed for the transitions using the zoom and 'time' is mainly designed for focus transitions.

If this is not the reason then it seems that there may be a varying number of problems with this setting for different cameras again, hopefully not!

Rainer Mann March 28th, 2008 03:53 AM

Thank you, Steve!
Problem solved :-)