EX1 & Vegas project preferences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Trustee

EX1 & Vegas project preferences

What project preferences are people using in Vegas with EX1 footage.
With 720/50p i've made a template and the preview is smooth,on pans etc,also when i put basic effects on,rolling credits on etc,it's smooth, on the preview window and when i'm using the 2nd monitor.

1080/50i,now that's a different story,ok with just the preview window but if i put any effects on or use the 2nd monitor it's really choppy.
VLC plays 1080/50i mxf fine after deinterlacing so i know my monitor can play the footage.
I know i'm supposed to use the same project preferences as my footage but here's the strange thing,if i've got no footage on the timeline and put just a rolling credit on,even that is choppy,it's like vegas doesn't want to display interlaced.
I tried right clicking on the clips,>switches>deinterlace,that made it worse.
Anything rendered out is ok,wether i've rendered it as WMV,AAC,MPEG,or mp4,there's no chopiness.

So if anyone out there is using EX1 1080/50i,with vegas pro 8, (i'm thinking maybe Piotr shoots in 1080/50i) can you let me know what your preview is like,especially if your using a 2nd monitor, and what project preference template you're using.

Thanks,Paul.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Paul,

Yes I am using Vegas, but frankly never shoot interalced with the EX1 (BTW I don't think it matters in how the timeline is previewed). My HQ 1080/25p clips play just fine (full 25fps) in the preview window, but add some effect and they will slow down. Not to mention that in 32bit mode, they never play full speed - even raw clips don't, and I have the QX6700 quad CPU at 3.4 GHz!

So, in order to make it easier for Vegas, I am forced to set the preview window quality as Draft (Full) instead of Best (Full). Then even in 32bit mode I'm getting 25fps blayback. While Draft looks OK in a small preview window (I'm using the size of 640x360), it's useless fullscreen...

I think that Vegas Pro 8 needs some more optimization in how it plays back from timeline (the same clips play much smoother from the Project Media bin).

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 6th, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Ok Piotr,thanks for the reply.
It looks like one of vegas's shortcomings then. I just wish i could get it to perform like it does with 720/50p,smooth on both screens and with basic effects. Hopefully the 1080/50i issue will get fixed in an update.
I just like the smoothness of 50/p and 50i. I feel like the odd one out,it seems like everyone else likes the 25p's.

Thanks for replying,Paul.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Trustee

It's not something that can or will be fixed. More CPU processing power would get you smoother playback, so would hardware acceleration. Unfortunately it's been made very clear that the later will never be implemented.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
It's not something that can or will be fixed. More CPU processing power would get you smoother playback, so would hardware acceleration. Unfortunately it's been made very clear that the later will never be implemented.
Don't quite agree, Bob - if the lousy playback were using 100% of the CPU resources, you might be right. But watching the preview struggling with just some 20-30% max of CPU enaged, I'm sure it can be optimized - even without using GPU hardware acceleration. Technically speaking, of course - whether SCS will actually do it is another matter...
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Trustee

CPU power,,, iv'e got a quad core with 4gb ram and a graphics card with 1g ram,so it's hardly underpowered.
No unneccesary processes are running on my pc. When my pc is just sat here idling,the task manager performance shows between 0 and 1%.
With vegas just sat there open and running it's at 0-2%,with footage in the timeline and playing,it's at 47%.
Si i'm sure my pc is coping ok.It's gotta be vegas.

Thanks for replying guys.
Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds