DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   fragile USB socket... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116444-fragile-usb-socket.html)

Piotr Wozniacki March 6th, 2008 12:28 PM

fragile USB socket...

Today I tried to connect the USB cable to my EX1 with the grip handle fully rotated forward (90 deg), and only after several attempts I realized it can't be done... I'd like to warn the fellow users against trying to connect it with the handle in this position. There is just not enough space between the socket and the handle for the USB plug!

Now, when I look closely at this tiny socket, it seems like the connectors inside are not in line - with the front two of them slightly recessed and their metal parts sort of visible outside the plastic more than the rest of them...

Of course I never exert too much force with my equipment, so I hope I didn't break it after all (it still works OK both directions), but for the peace of mind - could you inspect yours, and tell me if they also look like I tried to describe it above?

Daniel Alexander March 6th, 2008 12:43 PM

i just checked mine, they seem to be inline however i have had alot of experience with usb devices in the past and i can tell you that they do eventually get a lil wear and tear and misalign but unless the connectors ever come into contact with each other you dont really have to worry.

Piotr Wozniacki March 6th, 2008 01:02 PM

Thanks Daniel... Did you use some maginifying glass, or just your naked eye to check this (I'm 53 and my eyes are not that good any more)...

Anyway, I can see the two connectors on the camera's front side are a bit -well... different?

Daniel Alexander March 6th, 2008 01:22 PM

i used my naked eye, but its real easy for me to see they are all in alignment. I was very shocked aswell at how tricky it was to use the usb socket with the handle turned, i thought i broke my mine at one point but luckily it still works fine. The only thing to worry about with the usb is that if the connectors ever do make contact they will short out the board its connected to and often overrite the cameras power and not function at all until it's fixed.

Steven Thomas March 6th, 2008 01:31 PM

Yes, it is a pain to plug in. You always need to rotate the handle.
I'm not sure what Sony was thinking about putting common connections in a bad location. They are almost impossible to get to when mounted on my tripod... The more I think about it, maybe they are impossile..LOL

Daniel Alexander March 6th, 2008 01:41 PM

Another one of those weird little things that Sony does for one reason or the other, however i have to keep reminding myself that these small niggles are minor in comparison to what this little machine is capable of. I remember i was so scared before buying this camera because out of all the threads on this board it was the sony ex1 thread that had the most problems and complaints (virtually every other post was a complaint), it was only til i really looked that i found out that most of the things people had a problem with were things that you'd get used to and never look back after a few months of use and nothing users of bigger cameras didnt have to deal with also.

Nearly forgot what i was originally talking about now...oh yeh, usb, crap positioning. Come on Sony.

Bruce Rawlings March 6th, 2008 02:02 PM

I used the component socket the other day. The plastic hinged door is a bit flimsy - be careful I don't think it will take much use before breaking.

Bob Grant March 6th, 2008 05:19 PM

Cameras are made to shoot footage onto tape or whatever. VCRs and card readers are made to play it back. The only truly usefull and useable port on the EX1 is the SDI port. The reduction is sell price that would have come about from removing all the other ports might have been enough for Sony to throw in a card reader although I guess they needed one port for firmware upgrades.

Piotr Wozniacki March 7th, 2008 03:26 AM

It looks like I am after a fast Sxs reader for my desktop, as well (so far have one with my laptop, but with desktop I used the silly on-camera USB port).

I have found this:

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...-drive_03.html

- has anybody tried it with the SxS cards?

Piotr Wozniacki March 7th, 2008 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys - in daylight, I was able to take a photo with my phone camera (sorry for quality). This is how it looks now (after trying to plug in the cable, with the grip handle in a "wrong" position); the first 3 contacts (not 2 as I could see last night with my 53 years old eyes;) are naked, i.e. without the horizontal plastic bar as present over the other 3. It doesn't look right to me, but at the same time it looks as it was designed that way (no irregular cracking in the plastic).

Please tell me if yours are all under the plastic, and I broke mine - or is it supposed to be like this?

NB, I'm going to switch to a PCI-E SxS card reader, anyway - faster, and less hassle.

Bob Grant March 7th, 2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 838668)
It looks like I am after a fast Sxs reader for my desktop, as well (so far have one with my laptop, but with desktop I used the silly on-camera USB port).

I have found this:

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...-drive_03.html

- has anybody tried it with the SxS cards?

No, but there is a comment on the support page from someone saying they'd tried it with the Sony drivers and it worked. Sounds encouraging.

Piotr Wozniacki March 7th, 2008 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 838693)
No, but there is a comment on the support page from someone saying they'd tried it with the Sony drivers and it worked. Sounds encouraging.

Yes it does, Bob - what holds me is they stress the importance of the cable between the adapter and the front 3.5" bay... They say it's shielded, but will it provide the full speed of a direct solution like this (much cheaper, much less comfortable to use with the PC tower under the desktop)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Internal-PCIe-...hippingPayment

As you can see, it's just GBP 10 - shipping included!

Paul Kellett March 7th, 2008 05:32 AM

Guys,i'm waiting for this reader to arrive,it says "coming soon", look at the price.
I'll let youknow as soon as i get one,you have to plug th card in round the back .
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...221477&doy=7m3

Piotr Wozniacki March 7th, 2008 05:50 AM

Could anyone please inspect his USB socket, and tell me for sure I have broken mine, please?

Piotr Wozniacki March 8th, 2008 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Please take a look into your camera's USB socket, and confirm whether all the contacts should be under plastic, like the 3 RH-side ones in my picture. As I said, it doesn't look right but on the other hand, I never used excesive force, or feel/heard anything crack...

TIA!