DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Bright Cool Light: It's CINE1 CINE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116634-bright-cool-light-its-cine1-cine.html)

Michael H. Stevens March 9th, 2008 07:11 PM

Bright Cool Light: It's CINE1 CINE

There has been a lot of great discussion about the paint settings but hardly any recommended settings for particular settings. Here this after noon in southern cal there has been a cloudless day with bright cold light and I've put the profiles through their paces and for me aiming to get that elusive film look without any post I came up with gamma CINE1 set to the cine matrix and exposed up to the 100% zebra. I found this setting gave more detail than underexposing or going to the top of the histogram. So there is something specific for trial and comment

Randy Strome March 10th, 2008 08:24 AM

Hi Michael,

Cine 1 has become my mainstay. For bright outdoor shooting with wide dynamic range scenes, it is a great option. I use 3 and 4 for overcast days only.

I have 3 versions of Cine 1 set up for changing bright conditions all using Bill's Color tweaks, but with the blacks set at -4,-6 and -8 respectively. These were the black tweaks I was making every time in post.

It seems that we have all ended up at the same spot in terms of exposure. Nothing at or above 100. With Zebra 2, I would expose until it zebra'ed and then back off until gone.

The best accessory I have purchased for this camera (by far) is the TV Logic 7" monitor. It has a live and beautiful waveform (and vectorscope) that is almost as large as the entire EX 1 LCD. That has taken all of the "I just can't see it" guesswork out of on the fly meterless exposure. Additionally, the pixel to pixel function allows for perfect focus without guesswork.

Michael H. Stevens March 10th, 2008 09:25 AM

Randy: It's a good monitor but at about $2500 over my budget. You can try to sell me on it if you like. In addition to the scopes, what does it give you over the camera monitor - can you accurately judge shadow detail etc with it?

Bill Ravens March 10th, 2008 09:44 AM

Mike..

Try this experiment...
Set both of your zebra settings to 100%. They should give you identical readings, right? In fact, what I've found, is that sometimes I can see two distinct zebra patters in various parts of the image. Either this is the result of inaccuracies in the way the EX1 calculates zebra, or Zebra 1(fixed at 100%) really is measuring something over 100% and zebra 2 is measuring something less than zebra 1.....making for a pretty fine exposure method.

Randy Strome March 10th, 2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens (Post 840044)
Randy: It's a good monitor but at about $2500 over my budget. You can try to sell me on it if you like. In addition to the scopes, what does it give you over the camera monitor - can you accurately judge shadow detail etc with it?

Hi Michael,

Pixel to pixel is a 100% crop of the center of the full image. This allows the same level of "shadow judgment" that you would get on your computer monitor if you were to view your image at full resolution and resize your preview monitor to 800 x 480. You can clearly see a distinct change in a alteration of -1 when adjusting blacks (for instance). Additionally, you can accuratley tell when you are introducing noise. Unacceptable noise that is invisible on the EX1 LCD shows as clearly unacceptable. Same is true of critical focus. While my initial impression of the EX1 LCD is that it is incredible (and for the size...it is) I was still missing critcal focus at times, simply because I could not see it.

I have been shooting surfing the last few days at a distance, and using the pixel to pixel crop feature. As I am always at max zoom (until the 1.6 TC comes out) this allows me to close focus on the surfer. The EX 1 LCD stays open and provides a reference of the full frame being recorded. I am using Vegas to crop the image from 1920 to 1280 so TVlogic is providing about a 50% center crop of my final 720x1280 image.

Michael H. Stevens March 10th, 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 840058)
Mike..

Try this experiment...
Set both of your zebra settings to 100%. They should give you identical readings, right? In fact, what I've found, is that sometimes I can see two distinct zebra patters in various parts of the image. Either this is the result of inaccuracies in the way the EX1 calculates zebra, or Zebra 1(fixed at 100%) really is measuring something over 100% and zebra 2 is measuring something less than zebra 1.....making for a pretty fine exposure method.

NO Bill. Z1 and Z2 are different. Z2 is a cut-off at 100% as you say but Z1 when set to 100% is 95-105. I've written before about how can a cut-off point which a Zebra is be a spread - but there it isa.

Bill Ravens March 10th, 2008 11:24 AM

"NO Bill."
yep...guess you don't need to do the xperment. Seems a rather good way to use zebra...it works quite well for me anyway.
Good lord, Michael, why so irritable? There's really no need to shout. besides, it's rude.