Bottleneck with Clip Browser Export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bottleneck with Clip Browser Export

I am curious to find out if anybody else is experiencing this situation:

A: Time taken to EXPORT from 1 x almost full 16 GB card via CLIP BROWSER to the PC : 45 minutes approx

B: Time taken to COPY 1 x almost full 16 GB card via WINDOWS EXPLORER to the PC : 13 minutes approx

C: Time taken to EXPORT from the COPIED CARD CONTENTS ON MY HD to another folder on the HD using CLIP BROWSER to the PC : 15 minutes approx

There are 295 clips involved.

Adding the time results from B + C together, I would expect it to come to the time it took for A above but it is way off.

I have also tried it on another PC here and the exact same result.

Both PCs are reasonably high spec and both running XP.

I'm exporting the clips via the latest version of the clip browser.

I have heard that it for EXPORTING from the EX1 to the computer is supposed to be roughly 4x real time where a full 16 gig card should take approximately 15 mins.

Anybody have any possible explanations for this?

I would really like to be able to export directly from the cards at a realtime rate of 4 just like everybody else!
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know what your specific issue is but I would strongly suggest always coping the card first to a hard disk and then importing to your NLE from there. Then you have an original copy of your material . That was standard safe protocol with P2. Not doing that is risking losing material.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You have to copy the files from P2 cards before you can edit the footage because the P2 transfer speed isn't really high enough for direct editing.

The Sony Browser copies one clip at a time, updating the XML files for each clip as it goes so should you abort or have a problem the copied folder still has a valid file structure. This would explain some of the reason why the browser is slower than simply copying the contents of the card.
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I don't know what your specific issue is but I would strongly suggest always coping the card first to a hard disk and then importing to your NLE from there.
The specific issue is relating to SxS cards. Supposedly, most people can export a full 16 Gig card in about 15 minutes whereas it takes 45 mins on 2 of my PCs. This is the issue. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This could be related to a number of things. How ever I would try transferring using the "XDCAM Transfer" program vs. the clip browser. I have found it to be a more robust program.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1166605189820
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Chirs, XDCAM Transfer is Mac only. The link you've used is to the old version BTW. Current version is 2.5.1.

On my 8 Core Intel Mac I get via USB 3.5x from SxS to hard drive using Clip Browser. Once on hard drive I get 7.2x going from hard drive through XDCAM Transfer to MOV for Final Cut Pro.

If I'm getting 3.5x from USB I can imagine I'd get double that (or more) on a MacBookPro with Express port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbes View Post
This could be related to a number of things. How ever I would try transferring using the "XDCAM Transfer" program vs. the clip browser. I have found it to be a more robust program.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1166605189820
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post

On my 8 Core Intel Mac I get via USB 3.5x from SxS to hard drive using Clip Browser. Once on hard drive I get 7.2x going from hard drive through XDCAM Transfer to MOV for Final Cut Pro.
This I think is my preferred method. From Card to Harddrive then transcode.
Takes more space but gives you more options.

Sorry about the whole PC thing. But . . . um Coughgetamaccough Just kidding (no flame wars)
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds