SDI Out Plugs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SDI Out Plugs

It finally happened the other night while out filming in a dark street.The moment we all dread....at some the SDI plug fell off without me noticing.
Has anyone successfully ordered a new plug or just left it open? Is there any other plugs out there that dont come off this camera when someone sneezes? Sony should have these things sitting around in trays at there service centres like complimentary beer nuts. Grab a handfull everytime you go in....
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

How long did you make it? Mine was gone within the first hour or so of opening the box...
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carlson View Post
How long did you make it? Mine was gone within the first hour or so of opening the box...
104 days. Must be some kind of world record.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I got a hot glue gun and increased the purchase by putting a thin layer of hot glue all around the outside of the plug. I stayed on about 37 minuets and I threw it away.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm pretty sure mine was on the camera when I sent it to Sony for repair, and it was missing when they returned it.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

the trauma we have all been through to keep this precious plug. I dont use that port but will at some point. Are the cables that plug into it expensive? I might just buy one, plug it in and snip it off at the base. that should stay in tighter and not stick out too much.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tion_Plug.html

I think this is the best bet.

This is a special order from B&H but similar ones can be found in stock elsewhere.
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #8
New Boot

I sent my camera in for repair. They decided they needed to replace the camera. The SDI cover on the replacement camera is much better, you really have to pry it out. Way better then than the first one which didn't stay in at all.

Maybe if you order a replacement, you'll get this new version? You won't need to mod it.
Dave Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric, Thanks Dave, Ill look into both these options. Thats good to know the new plugs are better. Is it a different design or material or still rubber? or still the same but better fit?
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My second camera has a much improved cover over the first, with a longer rubber sleeve that encases the entire barrel. Removing it takes effort (like the FW/USB cover, although it has loosened up over time).

Don't know if it would be a good idea to place a terminator or connector there as protection, though. Seems it would poke out too much, making the camera BNC vulnerable to damage, no?

Maybe Sony will have candy bowls full of the new ones at NAB and those attending can grab few for those whose nipple lost its way.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #11
New Boot

The new design is rubber like the old one, but long enough to go all the way to the back of the socket and it tapers out in thickness so it stays in really well.
Dave Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

The new design plug sounds like the answer. Thanks. ill start hassling my local store to order me one in. Ill post the price and availability here when I find out.
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

They replaced my camera too when I sent it in. New plug MUCH better.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post

Don't know if it would be a good idea to place a terminator or connector there as protection, though. Seems it would poke out too much, making the camera BNC vulnerable to damage, no?
Good point, Bill.

At least that part of the camera is made of a cast alloy, rather than plastic. But it could translate a hard knock into a more expensive repair.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
Good point, Bill.

At least that part of the camera is made of a cast alloy, rather than plastic. But it could translate a hard knock into a more expensive repair.
Right, Ill go for the rubber replacement.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds