Do I need a card reader - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
... the "PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Drive Read-Writer Front" device ... is the device hot-swappable with Sony SxS cards:
I think I could probably live with that. I much prefer the idea of it being inside the computer to being another peice of USB hardware sitting on the desk like the Sony one.

And it's substantially cheaper.

My only question Piotr about what you said is do you have to have the SxS card in the drive during start-up for it to be recognised? Or can you insert it whenever?
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

One of these might be worth trying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=Add-On+Cards

I don't have an EX1, but I believe those card readers should work with SxS cards. Should be full speed too.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I think I could probably live with that. I much prefer the idea of it being inside the computer to being another peice of USB hardware sitting on the desk like the Sony one.

And it's substantially cheaper.

My only question Piotr about what you said is do you have to have the SxS card in the drive during start-up for it to be recognised? Or can you insert it whenever?
Yep, I can live with it, John. And no, it's not necessary to boot with the card in - just insert it any time and use Device Manager to scan for hw changes.
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

After another thought, I tend to think the need for hardware scanning is not related to the Synchrotech device, but the Sony SxS driver implemenation. The reader is visible to the system all the time; the problem is that with an SxS card removal, Windows doesn't "refresh" the device which "thinks" it's still holding the card - therefore, when you re-insert even the same card (or another one - no difference), Windows gets lost and suggest formatting it before use... Only removing the device as a whole, and scanning for it again with the new card inserted, will make it accessible to Windows.

So, I guess this is another point on the update wishlist... But then again, with the laptop ExpressCard reader there is no such problem at all - you can "safely remove" an SxS card, and on iserting another it's properly visible to the system.
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM   #20
Inner Circle

FWIW,

After installing SP1 over my Vista x64, the SxS driver causes system crashes and cannot be used at all. Has anyone managed to harness it?

Edit: I managed to solve the problem - not quite sure why, but downloading the same driver version (!!!) and re-installing it helped.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM   #21
New Boot

SxS card reader

Maybe I'm just being too simple here, but I just installed the card reader software on my (fairly old) office PC running Windows XP and I've not had any real difficulty swapping cards. The system seems to treat a card as any other disk in a removable-disk drive - if I change cards, all I have to do is "refresh" the card reader, and the files on the new card appear and are ready for use.
Bob Pascucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pascucci View Post
Maybe I'm just being too simple here, but I just installed the card reader software on my (fairly old) office PC running Windows XP and I've not had any real difficulty swapping cards. The system seems to treat a card as any other disk in a removable-disk drive - if I change cards, all I have to do is "refresh" the card reader, and the files on the new card appear and are ready for use.
Bob, are you talking SxS cards? Or some other ExpressCards (presumably using USB)?
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM   #23
New Boot

card reader

I'm talking SxS cards - the Sony card reader is connected via USB. Clips show up in the "source" panel of the card reader software (I'm using the version that came with the camera - I have not gone to the web to update it). Once I've finished transferring files from one card, I simply swap cards, click on the drive icon to be sure that's the active drive (just like you would in Windows Explorer) and then click "refresh" in the View menu. The clips on the new card appear and are ready for use.
Bob Pascucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Oh, you mean the Sony reader - yes, this one is hot-swappable, but only offers USB2.0 speed. The discussion here is about the PCIe->ExpressCard adapter/readers, that use much (several times) faster PCIe connectivity.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Surely you either have or you need a current laptop for collecting fields data so use the built in express card reader.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #26

surely?
ohhh, puhleeeze!!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
surely?
ohhh, puhleeeze!!
Bill: Stop calling me Shirly.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds