Red problem ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Hmmm.

I'm not having this problem. I also certianly don't rely on pushing a button and hoping white balance is perfect every time.
My HD100 always auto balanced on the cool side.

Did you try a manual white balance adjustment?

Also, although Bill did a great job at optimizing his camera with his TC presets, it's possible there are slight differences in our camera's color balance.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

And what CA reducing in EX, dont do this colour problem? Maybe sony can do soft on/off for this function.
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I do some another light test, used camlight SONY HVL-20DW2 and Fluorescent light.
Cam light produce light like tungsten light so many many places in lowlight has this light. For test if WB is ok i put white paper.

I posted some another still from EX1 and from HC3, becouse HC3 has CMOS too, but i dont see any problem with black like from EX1 so cmos isnt reason why do that.

Result for me is, EX1 has maybe IR contamination in tungsten light and i dont know if HOT MIRROR filter help or help minimal or change another colour. I read about IR contamination and find informaton this is not reduce by any color profile, this is HW problem, so i dont think so if FW correct this.
All this is for me not acceptable and i contact my dealer about refund, becouse this is not feature is issue :(
Attached Thumbnails
Red problem !-ex1_camlight_hvl-20dw2.jpg   Red problem !-ex1_fluorescent_light.jpg  

Red problem !-hc3_camlight_hvl-20dw2.jpg   Red problem !-hc3_fluorescent_light.jpg  

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Just to explain the problem better. My Ex1 has this problem (sometimes) at indoor shootings (no sun light) with my 3x650W Sachtler light-kit and also Outdoor (a very bright day in the mountains, lot of snow).

So maybe too much light cause this problem? I’m confused about that, because some other black areas in the picture are still black. Others are completely brown. This happened in full automatic, automatic white balance, or all setting manual. But it never happend when I filmed something like a black car or similar. So it's really possible that textile of clothes cause this problems. Also I have seen this when there was a black piece of foam in the picture.

So sometimes the Ex1 performs like a dream but this is not possible at all situations. I need a cam with a repeatable picture look and not one day it shows brown, the next day black. Hope the problem can be fixed with a firmware update.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Black fabric/textile not being really black (brownish tint) was the first thing I noticed in my EX1 picture. With similar lighting conditions, deep navy blue looks more like magenta, etc...

The first explanation that crossed my mind was "hey, they have put so many picture tweaking controls in this cam, their default colour matrix is just not properly adjusted).
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,

if its realy IR contamination, this cant be adjusted with any colour profile. I try many profiles, but in tungsten light Black fabric/textile not being really black only on EX1, all another cams i tryed dont has this issue.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenes Petrusin View Post
Hi Piotr,

if its realy IR contamination, this cant be adjusted with any colour profile. I try many profiles, but in tungsten light Black fabric/textile not being really black only on EX1, all another cams i tryed dont has this issue.
Absolutely, Zenes - I'm not saying it can be adjusted. I've given up trying:-)
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yes i tested too, only one help to get realy black, white AWB shift -15, black is black, but other colour is realy out :-)

I do only little funny for this horrible situation, sorry
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #24
Major Player

I am coming back with some links about a similar issue experienced by CMOS based Leica M8 digital stills camera:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...M8_review.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-magenta.shtml

Re-profling the cameras (during the RAW > RGB conversion) can correct part of the problem, but it will not go away.

Leica has offered a special screw-on type UV/IR filter to cut the excessive IR.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm thinking more and more that this is an A/D glitch. The F23 had a similar issue with one specific tone. If this were an IR issue that was bad enough to affect subjects indoors, we'd probably see it elsewhere. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so I can't test this, but if you set the ND filter to 1/64 (ideally add some glass ND in front as well), and photograph a black subject outside on a sunny day you should see IR contamination.

Here's a REDUser thread about this issue:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9412

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #26
Trustee

Look at this guys shirt,when i was filming i noticed the colour of it on the camera's lcd was showing as red but to my eye at the time it was definatley black. Now i realise there is a red light shining on him from the left of the shot,as you can see on the backdrop, but why didn't his jeans show up as red ?
Attached Thumbnails
Red problem !-phil-beer-red.jpg  
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Was it possibly a reflective material? It definitely is picking up the red light more than other black subjects in the frame (the neck of the guitar, etc.) and I think this is the same processing issue. The red light is enough to get the black shirt to a point where the processing gets fooled by it. The other example we've seen so far has been indoors under tungsten light, which could easily result in the same tone (the bag is a semi-reflective nylon). I'd be interested to see if this happens in daylight (maybe the opposite, a bluish tone) or if this only happens with warm lighting on black subjects. As I said before, this happened with the F23 when it first came out, and eventually was fixed once Sony admitted it was a processing issue.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #28
Trustee

Nope,the shirt wasn't reflective.
I remember thinking to myself "what going on here then",i was looking at the lcd,then the subject,then the lcd,then the subject,his shirt was definately black,same as his jeans.
It never happened to any other subject,must've been around 20 i filmed that weekend,so it must've been a combination of that shirt/material and the cam,like i said,my eyes were seeing black.
I forgot all about it until i saw this thread.

Paul.
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #29
Regular Crew

This is first what i see from EX1, this is my bad :(
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Just noticed the same thing while editing a recent shoot....two people with black jackets on, but one of them looked brown to the camera. I think different materials have different IR reflectivity. From my other camera (CANON XH-A1) both jackets looked black.

Anyway, has anyone called SONY about this problem?
Is this something that SONY can fix via firmware update?
Will an IR filter fix the problem?
Will an IR filter cause any other problems?

Here is a IR filter at B&H:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=235343&is=REG

Can I just put this filter on the EX1 all the time, or should it just be used when the issue presents itself?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds