Red problem ! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Great news Paul, I expected that it would work well.

On another note - do you ever intercut your HV20 footage with the EX1? Just wondering as I also have both of these, and haven't done it just yet. If you have I was wondering how the HV20 held up. I have been to busy to try it, but have been thinking they might look OK together in good light

Graeme, here is a comparison between EX1 (TC2, and my preset) and a HV20.
http://rapidshare.com/files/93376520..._HV20.mp4.html

Dennis
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #62
Regular Crew

IR Filter in action!!

Here you go....a before and after shot using the IR 486 Filter.
Top is with no filter...bottom is with the 486 IR Filter.

Here is the link to the filter that I bought: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...=805&KBID=1062
Attached Thumbnails
Red problem !-irfilter-b-.jpg  
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM   #63
Inner Circle

So Paul, is this a kind of filter that you can leave on the camera permanently, and put the stock lens hood over it?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM   #64
Regular Crew

YES....the lens hood fits over it just fine.
I plan on just leaving it on all the time.
I haven't noticed any problems with it so far.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Good... I've just shot some indoor scenes where my daughter was wearing a dark-blue shirt; on the monitor it's magenta!

One thing still worries me, though: when using a 35mm adapter with different lenses, can it stay on the camera? Or will its reflecting IR rather than absorbing it be a problem?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 23rd, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM   #66
Major Player

@Zene:

Surely you're not relying on auto white balance?
And you're not using a ND filter indoors in low light?
And you're using enough light to eliminate the color noise?

I'm pretty sure it's a white balance problem because the color tint on the box corresponds to the color tint of the floor in each photo. There's a reason why pro cameras you allow you to set white balance manually, sir.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM   #67
Trustee

Anyone know where we can get these filters in the UK ?

Thanks,Paul.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun Osewa View Post
@Zene:

Surely you're not relying on auto white balance?
And you're not using a ND filter indoors in low light?
And you're using enough light to eliminate the color noise?

I'm pretty sure it's a white balance problem because the color tint on the box corresponds to the color tint of the floor in each photo. There's a reason why pro cameras you allow you to set white balance manually, sir.
Of course, all no, is IR contamination problem not wrong WB and not ND of course. Paul presented this can be resolve my problem with IR cut-off filter. HC3 is not pro and can change WB manually too :)
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #69
Regular Crew

Definitely IR, has nothing to do with WB, or any PP settings. Interestingly enough, this happens on two other CMOS cameras I've worked with recently which cost MUCH more (RED and VR Phantom HD). Haven't noticed it with the Arri D-20, but I'll be at CSC on Tuesday and I'll look at it for fun. According to RED, they use as strong of an IR filter as is appropriate, partly an engineering problem. 3-chip designs require a LOT of optical engineering, so it makes sense for sony to use as light of a filter as possible behind the lens.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM   #70
Regular Crew

A few quick tests with the 486...

First, I did point it at my remote and could see the IR light blinking. Then with the filter on, it removed it.

Second, I was shooting out my deck at 5600K at a pine tree. Adding the filter, quickly removed the warmth (from extra IR). You still had good reds and the rest of the colors, but there was absolutely extra red from IR. It was similar to the slight greenish look of Rayband sunglasses. NOTE - it also cuts UV too.

I did not see any increase in sharpness per say, but it did seem a tiny bit cleaner. I'm still waiting for a sunset and will give a before and after shots.

I will have my new laptop late next week, so I can finally offload and post footage and stills. Lastly the 486 comes with a nice lense cap too.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #71
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal View Post
Here you go....a before and after shot using the IR 486 Filter.
Top is with no filter...bottom is with the 486 IR Filter.

Here is the link to the filter that I bought: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...=805&KBID=1062
Thanks Paul.

Granted this is one shot and resized for the web, are you seeing a difference?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Thanks Paul.

Granted this is one shot and resized for the web, are you seeing a difference?
YES....so far, it seams to solve the IR contamination problem without creating other problems in the process.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #73
Trustee

Thanks Paul.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #74
Major Player

Hi

Im using a Cokin ND P154 (ND8 - 0.9) in front of my Canon FD lens and Letus EX. I can see a weird brown/magenta tint on the picture.

First pic is with the Cokin ND and the 2nd is without. Notice the color of my portabrace bag in the third pic. It looks magenta/pink instead of dark blue that it is. And the little camera bag besides the portabrace is supposed to look pink.

I dont see any change in colour when I put the Cokin ND it in front of my eye. Is this the same IR problem discussed in this thread?

Sami
Attached Thumbnails
Red problem !-ndon.jpg   Red problem !-ndoff.jpg  

Red problem !-ndon_portabrace.jpg  
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #75
Major Player

Anyone have an opinion?

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds