Red problem ! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Sami,

While black fabrics do have the tendency to show brownish (just like the blue ones often show magenta), I guess in those particular grabs the main factor is WB being way too warm.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #77
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Sami,

While black fabrics do have the tendency to show brownish (just like the blue ones often show magenta), I guess in those particular grabs the main factor is WB being way too warm.
But my WB was the same in both shots, with and without the Cokin ND. Do you mean I should redo WB after putting the ND on?
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #78
Trustee

I would... Yes, I know ideally the concept of the ND filter is not to affect wavelength.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #79
Major Player

yes you're right, if I redo the WB with the ND on it chances the reading by 200-300 kelvins.

So this means there is no way I can use my Cokin grad filter cause the lower half would need different WB.

Is this because the Cokin ND's are quite cheap or would this be the same with any ND with the EX1?
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
yes you're right, if I redo the WB with the ND on it chances the reading by 200-300 kelvins.

So this means there is no way I can use my Cokin grad filter cause the lower half would need different WB.

Is this because the Cokin ND's are quite cheap or would this be the same with any ND with the EX1?
Now that's a good question.
I'm not sure who has deep enough pockets to find that one out. ;)
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #81
Inner Circle

I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper, Sami. To my eye, your left grabs are too warm by some 1500K at least. Something else must have happened to your WB settings in this shooting...
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #82
Trustee

Quote:
I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper,
Good point. That small would probably not be noticeable.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
I'd say that a 200-300K difference should not be a show stopper, Sami. To my eye, your left grabs are too warm by some 1500K at least. Something else must have happened to your WB settings in this shooting...
I'm testing it now. Without cokin ND Auto WB gives 9100K (Sun is setting here), with Cokin ND Auto WB gives 8800. After setting AWB both look fine. But with 9100K and ND in front of the lens it looks as magenta as the screen crabs I posted. Ill get back to this later, should I start a new thread? I feel like Im overtaking the original one...
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:41 PM   #84
Major Player

I have this problem bad. I shoot in the desert where the temperature of the desert floor can go to 150F. All my green shrubbery has gone brown and the sand colored desert a redish hue.

Does anyone know what I can do for this? Is there a IR filter for this extreme situation?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM   #85
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
I have this problem bad. I shoot in the desert where the temperature of the desert floor can go to 150F. All my green shrubbery has gone brown and the sand colored desert a redish hue.

Does anyone know what I can do for this? Is there a IR filter for this extreme situation?
We've ordered 3 off 486 filters but B&W must be experiencing heavy demand as they're on back order. Once we get them I can tell you how well they work although others here say they seem to fix the problem nicely. Our plan is to leave them on the camera as well as anything that goes into a MB.
This is a very common problem though. The Redone is having the same problem, I've read of people having it with the DVX100 as well.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
We've ordered 3 off 486 filters but B&W must be experiencing heavy demand as they're on back order. Once we get them I can tell you how well they work although others here say they seem to fix the problem nicely. Our plan is to leave them on the camera as well as anything that goes into a MB.
This is a very common problem though. The Redone is having the same problem, I've read of people having it with the DVX100 as well.
Bob:
I just ordered one in size 77mm for about $200 and they said it was in stock. They have the slim-line that will work with the Sony sun shade and with the adapter for my matte box. I'll see if it works. The EX1 needs a protector there anyway and I can sell the 77mm B+W UV I have still new in the box. Anyone want it?
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Just found out an interesting piece of information, when the F23 was first released, some cameras experienced black reflective fabrics reading as magenta or sometimes blue. Sound familiar? Turns out, it was a bad batch of IR filters which were replaced, solving the problem. I'm thinking about Sony and trying to initiate the conversation...

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Just found out an interesting piece of information, when the F23 was first released, some cameras experienced black reflective fabrics reading as magenta or sometimes blue. Sound familiar? Turns out, it was a bad batch of IR filters which were replaced, solving the problem. I'm thinking about Sony and trying to initiate the conversation...

-Sean
Yes let's find out. We have a problem here in that we discuss an issue and think it is not a camera problem and spend money doing a home fix when really with a loud shout to Sony they might come clean and cough-up.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #89
Regular Crew

I contacted Sony today an officially registered a complaint. They said it was the first they had heard about it but would look into it and get back to me. I referred them to this thread and the fact that the same thing happened with the F23 when it was first released. Perhaps if we all do this they will at least compensate us for the filters we have to buy to make the camera work properly.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #90
Trustee

In Adam Wilt's test he saw this on both the F-23 and the Ex-1.

Can I put the 486 over my Ex-1 lens then add a 35mm adapter over it, or do I always want the 486 to be on the front?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds