Red problem ! - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #181
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
A lot said about the 486 but screenshot comparisons so here is desert landscape taken on a moderatly hot day with and without the 486. Camera setting of course were exactly the same for both shots. The "greener" snapshot is with the 496.
Mike

What Picture Profile are you using for those shots?
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #182
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Sean (or anyone else for that matter) , does your B+W filter produce the green vignetting at wideangle under tungstun that Piotr showed?

I'm still trying to get a clear answer from people's experience as to how bad this is, and whether it is endemic to all of these filters.

Sure would like to see a few shots of a relatively flat grey scene, under tungstun, iris wide open (usually shows more problems) that shows how bad this is at full wide and when the problem disappears.

Mike,
Do you see a radical difference between the desert shots? Aside from the minor color balance issue, to me the 486 has more contrast but nothing I couldn't fix with a minor tweak in post. Am I missing something?

Lenny Levy
Lenny:

From the two shots I posted you can see how the greens clean up. I did one panorama from a hill to over-looking a desert on a very hot day and all the green bushed were really brown and it was beyond what post could do. That's why i got the filter. If you are not in a very hot environment you wont see much difference. In fact, when it is not radiating great heat from the ground I take the filter of and use a UV/Haze.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #183
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
Mike

What Picture Profile are you using for those shots?
George:

I'm not 100% sure but I am 95% sure it was Cine1 with the cinema matrix and the master black level set to about -25.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #184
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Check this out. We gave some of these in 4x5.65 size to Art Adams and he did some interesting tests.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.p..._filter_tests/

This indeed confirms the use of the new True-Cut IR filter (486 less the UV filtration) as a good use for RED cameras only when extra ND is applied as well as regular HDV cameras with no filtration at all.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Yes Michael - I know you said it, but a couple of persons using the 486 said it was also working OK, and Ryan of Schneider even mentioned the 486 is "a better choice for this application"... :)

Thanks in advance!
Again, sorry about that comment. I neglected to look at your application carefully. The 486 is the proper filter if its the first optical element in the chain. If not, then use the 489.

The double threaded version exists for non-optical applications like lenshades. Our Industrial Optics division might have another application but I am not aware of it.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #186
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Again, sorry about that comment. I neglected to look at your application carefully. The 486 is the proper filter if its the first optical element in the chain. If not, then use the 489.

The double threaded version exists for non-optical applications like lenshades. Our Industrial Optics division might have another application but I am not aware of it.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
OK: This is my set-up with ND before and aft. Starting from the CDC I have:-

1. Internal ND
2. Camera Lens
3. 486
4. ND in Matte Box
5. Graduated Filter.

Is my 486 the right choice?
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #187
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan,

Nevermind, everything is not lost yet :)

Tell me please one thing: does the 489 filter model create the green cast near the corners/edges due to the IR angle of incidence like the 486, or is this effect weaker, or stronger?
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #188
Inner Circle

Since Ryan is not answering, I'd like to ask the 489 filter users for posting some grabs of their shooting in tungsten / incandescent light, and at the full wide EX1's zoom. Does it also produce the green cast near the edges, like the 486 does? I can still replace my new 486 filter (the double-threaded version this time, which indeed fits under the stock lens hood, and can accept the Letus without detaching) with its 489 version, but - before I go for it, and loose money again - I'd like to be certain it's worth it this time :)

BTW, my new 486 works exactly the same with and without the Letus over it - i.e. the adverse affects are there with Letus but only under conditions they would be there without it, as well. At least so far, I didn't notice any additional contamination resulting from closing the filter between my EX1's lens and the Letus' achromat...
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #189
Regular Crew

which one to get

I have just the camera... no matt boxes
I would just put this on the lens...
486 or 489?
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #190
Inner Circle

486 will be enough.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #191
Regular Crew

Piotr
If yours fits under the stock shade do you want to sell yours I read your post about buying the other one...
if so email me
ramvideo!optonline.net
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #192
Trustee

Ryan, Is there any reason not to just go with a 489 as general purpose in front of other elements or in the middle?

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #193
Trustee

Ryan, Is there any reason not to just go with a 489 as general purpose in front of other elements or in the middle?

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post

- Lenny Levy
Lenny,

The 489 was designed for industrial optical applications where it would be placed in between optical elements; preferably nearest the sensor. The 486 has more coatings and is more efficient at blocking IR light. As a side benefit, the 486 also blocks UV light. The downside, as discussed, is that it should not be used in between elements due to the remote chance that the filter can reflect light in certain light angles and cause issues inside the lens. Hence we recommend that you place it on the first element of the lens so that reflections do not harm the image.

Use the 486 unless you are placing it between elements but keep in mind that using the 486 in between elements may not have an adverse effect on your image because of the remote chance of the reflection issue occurring.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #195
Inner Circle

Ryan,

Good to see you here again :)

Tell me please one thing: does the 489 filter model create the green cast near the corners/edges due to the IR angle of incidence like the 486, or is this effect weaker, or stronger?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds