DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   What do your clients want to see after the shoot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117112-what-do-your-clients-want-see-after-shoot.html)

Jac Chesson March 16th, 2008 11:30 AM

What do your clients want to see after the shoot?

I'm getting ready for my first real shoot w/ the EX-1. The client won't be there, but he'd like to see what I shot.

In SD shoots w/ my DSR-450WS, I just normally deliver a TC Burn on DVD.
How does this work now w/ the EX-1? What are my options? I'm sure the client will want to see time code.

Since the analog and SDI out on the EX-1 have been described as less than optimal, how does this work? I don't have any devices that accept SDI or HDSDI in house so preserving time code is an issue. The only thing I can think of is going to a post house and playing out the contents from the camera to HDCAM and then doing a TC Burn of that.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

(I have 2 AVIDs and FCS2 for post. All are MAC based)

Eric Pascarelli March 16th, 2008 11:38 AM

You can lay all of your clips in a sequence FCP and add a time code reader filter and burn a DVD from that. I do it all the time.

The only issue is render time - it pays to have a fast Mac.

If you can get an analog signal out if your Mac (through a DVCAM deck for example) you can get use TC filter without rendering (assuming your Mac is fast enough) - and then record it on a DVD recorder.

Jac Chesson March 16th, 2008 11:52 AM

Thanks, Eric.

I'm an AVID guy and rather new to the processes in Final Cut. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Jac

Alister Chapman March 16th, 2008 01:47 PM

Copy the BPAV folders from the cards to a USB hard drive, download the EX clip browser and give that to your client. saves you having to burn or render anything and your client can log the footage by either clip numbers of TC. Your client could even select the takes/clips he wants and copy them to a new folder saving you time in the edit. Your client will have instant non-linear access to the files with thumbnails and he can even view the clips at full resolution. The browser download includes both the Mac and PC versions.

Peter Kraft March 16th, 2008 03:05 PM

No more render time necessary for TC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli (Post 843345)
The only issue is render time - it pays to have a fast Mac.

Eric, forget rendertime to add time code to your Quicktime movies.

A little app by the name "QT Sync" does the trick.
Instead of adding the TC figures pixel by pixel into each frame's
visible content, QT Sync adds a QT track to the movies. This track
happens to be some kind of a text track. So adding it is fast as snipping
with one of your fingers. Just save the movie with the added TC track
and you are done.

What's more, the little app comes for free
Download it from here: www.qtsync.com

Hope this helps. Pete

Peter Kraft March 16th, 2008 03:07 PM

No render time necessary for TC

Sorry message unintentionally posted twice