Transcend 32GB Express Card Solid State Drive? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Has anyone tested this with other disks or is just a "thought"?
Because this could be a no no for buying the camera. My vendor said to me that it can accept Sandisks. So he could be wrong.
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Sandisk will definitely have an SxS card that works in EX1. They've announced it. They worked with Sony on the technology.

Sony has said there will be a firmware update and cheaper cards will be certified to work with the EX1. I've heard this first hand face to face from Sony reps. The question is WHEN. Of course they could always backtrack on that too.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Let's hope the firmware could be done by files loaded at an MS and not in services.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi George,

Good to see you over here from the Liquid forum. Does this mean that you have purchased the EX1 - or that you are thinking about it? The good news is that liquid works very well with the EX1 - so it will be an easy transition for you.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #20
Major Player

I have a Transcend 8 gig Express card, supposed to be pcie but behaves like a usb device, even when in the Express card slot of my laptop, alsoit is not recognised by the EX1.

Paul
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Angeludis View Post
What do you mean by that? How an EX1 will know that is not sony's card?
Simon Wyndham pre-release review
http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/xdcam-pmw-ex1.html

"Some people have been asking about the use of third party Express cards. The official line is that no, third party cards will not function with the EX. However we did try a third party card with the prototype EX1. The results were mixed. The camera *did* record the footage. However to playback the camera required a switch-off first. This could have been down to the camera being a prototype, so experiment with the third party cards at your own risk"

I wish Simon would have stated which brand worked in the prototype.Agian this glitch my have been corrected by Sony on the production models.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Angeludis View Post
What do you mean by that? How an EX1 will know that is not sony's card?
Years ago i had a Sony cam which recorded directly to DVD,the small DVD,s,when i put a DVD in other than Sony branded,a message popped up telling me to use a genuine sony dvd,how does the cam know ?
Same thing can happen with batteries,i had another Sony cam,put a non sony battery on and it would shut down.
That's sony for you.

Paul.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
[...snip...]when i put a DVD in other than Sony branded,a message popped up telling me to use a genuine sony dvd,how does the cam know ?
Same thing can happen with batteries[...snip...]
There is an identifier on all recordable DVD's so burners can use the correct write strategy amongst other things.

For the rest, most things are "intelligent" now, from printer cartridges to batteries. They all contain a chip for management and such.

In Europe it is (often) not legal to use these to ward off competition. There have been (successful) suits against printer manufacturers to "open up" the (ink) market to 3rd party compatible products in the past.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried reformatting a transcend card? I believe the SxS cards use the FAT32 file system. Probably more complicated than this, but it might be worth a shot...

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM   #25
Regular Crew

The camera does not recognize the card, so you cannot format it in the camera.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I was thinking actually of formatting it via software in a computer to match the SxS cards, not unlike tricking a tivo box to accept 3rd party drives.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I don't think even SxS cards will work that way. I think you HAVE to format in camera.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds