Adam Wilt: "Three three-letter cameras: EX1, F23, RED" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #16
Major Player

The El Cheapo is an amazing find.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Bill, if I under expose, I'm not finding the EX1 very noisy. There's more noise, but I'm not sure if I 'd call it very.

The JVC footage I'm working on now I'd call that "very" compared to any under exposed EX1 footage. Well, in the HD100 camera's defense, it was low light concert footage
I definitely agree with that with my EX-1.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #18
Major Player

I agree with Bill Raven's earlier posting. The EX1 is a cheap camera in professional terms, it should not be compared and then knocked down for so called failings. Sony have raised the bar for this type of camera.

I use the EX1 as a B Roll camera in conjunction with HDCam material and it stands up very well. But since the HDCAM's Fujinon broadcast lens cost more than double the EX1 what should I expect from the $7,500 spent?

On a daily basis the EX1 is superb. I feel guilty that for once in life I have a winner, a trouble free unit (so far) compared to others who have problems. But once you get a good one and just use the camera and forget its so called design failings you will be rewarded with fantastic pictures that your clients will be happy with.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #19
Trustee

After reading Adam's article I'm trying to figure out how to put a B4 mount on my EX1 so I can use those Digiprimes. That should cure the vignetting problem.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
with the el cheapo shoulder mounter it is absolutely brilliant for run and gun. I have been shooting for long days with it all handheld and I barely got tired.
I fitted a Manfrotto MN-577 quick relase plate and adaptor to my el cheapo (i presume you're talking about the ebay £18/Prestons £65 plastic folding job)
shoulder mount,my manfrotto 503/hdv head uses the exact same plate (501 pl) so now i can swap from tripod to shoulder mount quickly,without unscrewing the mount and screwing on my tripod plate.
To me,the shoulder mount is now complete,mine has now cost me around £70 in total,rediculously cheap for what it does and how well it works.

Paul.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

In my tests the Ex1 worked fine for hand-held use when fitted with a "mini-rover" bracket on the left side, which provides both better stablity and an extra spot for mounting accessories. I did have concerns about the autofocus performance and awkward shutter speed controls, but overall the EX1 seems like a decent camera for the price. Surprisingly, many event videographers are leaning toward the new Z7U as a more practical "run and gun" camera, for what that's worth.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #22

Steve...

My definition of VERY noisy: If I have to use a noise reduction tool like NeatVideo, in post, to smooth over quantization noise and blockiness in the shadows, then it is VERY noisy. However, I agree that the noise is not as bad as what I've experienced with the HD110.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #23
Major Player

Could someone please remind me of the "El cheapo" ebay site for the shoulder mount. Thanks.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
with the el cheapo shoulder mounter it is absolutely brilliant for run and gun. I have been shooting for long days with it all handheld and I barely got tired.
What shoulder mount did you buy Phil?
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #25
Trustee

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/camera-shoulde...em310032167386

This is the support that me and i think Phil are using. Copy and paste it into your address bar.

There's quite a few similar items in ebay now.
If you type in "shoulder support" in the ebay search bar you'll find them.

Paul.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #26

There is also a very similar shoulder support available from Cavision, which I use. It's quite inexpensive, attaches to the standard 15mm rail system; and, by drilling 3 small holes, will easily mount a v-mount adapter and battery brick, which greatly improves the balance for run and gun. I'm now running my EX1 thru the 12v power port to an IDX battery brick. Anyone interested in a picture of the rig, I'll be glad to post one.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #27
Trustee

Yeah go on then Bill,let's have a look.

Here's mine with the Manfrotto adaptor fitted.
Manfrotto part number MN-577. It also comes with the plate for the bottom of the camera but obviously i just needed the reciever assembly.This fits the plate from my 503hdv perfectly.

paul
Attached Thumbnails
Adam Wilt: "Three three-letter cameras: EX1, F23, RED"-manfrotto-mn577-shoulder-2-.jpg   Adam Wilt: "Three three-letter cameras: EX1, F23, RED"-manfrotto-mn577-shoulder-3-.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Kellett; March 18th, 2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: pictures
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #28
Major Player

I use exactly the same setup. Works great.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #29

here's my rig. after two hours of shooting, my arms aren't too tired...LOL...the rig balances quite well for one handed support while the second hand makes adjustments.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Any suggestions on how to do the "matching quick-release" trick with a Sachtler FSB-6? Sachtler doesn't seem to sell the release assembly separately. Does anyone know if it is the same size as one of the two Manfrottos (or something else readily available)? The plate I have is a fairly standard looking sliding plate that loads by tipping one side into the head then snapping the other down, although it looks like the side loading mechanism is part of the receiver, not a feature of the plate - the plate could also slide in to a different receiver from behind, or even drop in flat and clamp in place.

-Dan
Dan Wells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds