DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   B&H won't sell EX-1 to customers outside lower 48???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117267-b-h-wont-sell-ex-1-customers-outside-lower-48-a.html)

Gabe Strong March 18th, 2008 12:44 PM

B&H won't sell EX-1 to customers outside lower 48????

I was trying to buy an EX-1, and just got the following email from B&H.

"B&H is not permitted to sell the PMWEX1 outside the continental USA(48states)"

I'm sorry and trying to be nice but this royally pisses me off. I know it's not B&H's fault but just wow.....I guess because it's a cinealta camera they (Sony) is restricting the areas it can be sold. All I can say is...WOW! Sony is not making me happy with this one.

Wish I could edit the title of this thread to
"B&H ISN'T ALLOWED to sell EX-1 to customers outside lower 48"

Bill Pryor March 18th, 2008 12:46 PM

That defies stupidity. (Also, Alaska is on the same continent, hence continental). Sheesh.

Do you have a relative in the lower 48? You could buy it for that person, have him send it to you. Just a thought.

Gabe Strong March 18th, 2008 12:52 PM

Bill,

Ya, I may do that....it just makes quite inconvenient for me, although I can have it shipped to someone I know in the lower 48. But first, B&H told me to email Sony and tell them that I would prefer to buy from B&H directly and have it shipped to me. Sounds like B&H has their hands tied on this one as I was told they'd love to sell me the camera but Sony won't allow them too. Just WOW!!!!

Dean Sensui March 18th, 2008 02:11 PM

FYI, for anyone in Hawaii (Oahu): Check out Video Life on Ward Ave. near Sports Authority. Hui, Jun and Jimmy are very helpful. Prices are fairly competitive with what you'd get at B&H. And you can check the camera out in "real life" in the shop before committing.

I know this forum has specific sponsors, but this is a PSA for those who live on this tiny rock outcropping in the middle of the Pacific.

David Hadden March 18th, 2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 844577)
I know this forum has specific sponsors, but this is a PSA for those who live on this tiny rock outcropping in the middle of the Pacific.

Seems to me if the sponsors can't sell this to those in Hawaii, then it shouldn't be a problem post stuff for other areas of the country/world where it won't affect them, so I'm guessing it's probably fine that you posted that for this cam that is having its sales restricted by the manufacturer.

Dave

Gabe Strong March 18th, 2008 06:35 PM

After spending all morning on the phone trying to figure this out, I was really not happy. I was actually hung up on by one Sony guy as I was trying to ask him exactly what my options are. To be fair, many of the Sony guys seemed baffled by this and didn't really know what to tell me....I found this strange as I was wanting to spend money with them! I finally got through to a very helpful Sony rep who asked me for my zip. I gave it to him and waited as he searched for my 'local' retailer......(which as I told him there ISN'T one!). He widened the search area to 500 miles from my zip code. Still nothing. Widened it to 1000 miles from my zip. Still nothing. Finally he gave me the names of two places.

Professional Video and Tape in Tigard Oregon and
VMI in Edmonds Washington.

These places are allowed to sell the EX-1 to us in Alaska. A big thanks to Mike at Sony for sticking with me and helping me figure out where I could purchase an EX-1. Sorry if this breaks forum rules....I know there are sponsors here, but it doesn't help people in Alaska much if we aren't ALLOWED to buy from those sponsors!! So I thought I'd list the places we CAN buy from just in case any one else from Alaska is looking at this.

Only another Alaskan can appreciate a place located over 1000 miles away being our 'local' dealer.

Keith Rollinson March 19th, 2008 09:52 AM

Hi Gabe,

Just to confirm your "choices" -- Professional Video & Tape are but a mere 10 miles from me, and are an excellent dealer, competitively priced, w/ their own service dept. Believe ours was the 1st EX-1 in the PW, and it was purchased from them. Brent Knight is a great contact should you need one there.

Keith

Gabe Strong March 19th, 2008 01:01 PM

Thanks Keith,

I just talked to them and they are absolutely great. They quoted me a great price too, same as you would get from B&H or any other real (not gray market) Sony dealer. Good guys for sure.

Wayne Zebzda March 20th, 2008 10:53 PM

Aloha Gabe,
Like Dean said ,Video Life in Honolulu set me up with the competitive price and xtra card too!

Wayne Zebzda March 22nd, 2008 11:47 PM

Registration

Aloha Gabe,
Alaska does have one up on Hawaii here.
When you go to register the camera online it says only the lower 48 states can do but it will let you select Alaska ... not Hawaii (I tried and it is NA).
Well, you guys are attached to the continent at least.
Aloha,
Z

Gabe Strong March 23rd, 2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Zebzda (Post 846948)
Aloha Gabe,
Alaska does have one up on Hawaii here.
When you go to register the camera online it says only the lower 48 states can do but it will let you select Alaska ... not Hawaii (I tried and it is NA).
Well, you guys are attached to the continent at least.
Aloha,
Z

Really? Thanks for the heads up I'll check into that. So OK, maybe we have you there,......But you still have us on the weather I think....
:-)