DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   S x S reader and other info (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117315-s-x-s-reader-other-info.html)

Greg Hawkes March 19th, 2008 05:57 AM

S x S reader and other info

I have purchased an Express card to PCI-e Adaptor

http://www.lindy.co.uk/expresscard-a...ess/51195.html

and it works fine reading and importing S X S cards. It is not hot swappable as I am using the XP operating system . When it arrived the notes with it said that hot swappable only with Vista! but OK it will do for now.

Very good results now with SD DVDS PAL to CRT. Using HQ/720/50P
picture profile PP6 set to cine2 for theatres / school plays and detail -40 as previously suggested then in Vegas after edit and just before output unsharp mask set ot light.

I intend to archive all my new projects for Blue Ray DVD when more compatible bearing in mind filmling 720/50P which main concept Blue Ray setting should I use to archive to hard drive?

Paul Kellett March 19th, 2008 06:11 AM

Greg.
How quick is the transfer speed for say a whole 8gig card ?
And also are you transfering only or rewrapping aswell with this reader ?
Can this card reader "read" like the sony card reader does or just transfer the whole BAPV ?
How long did it take to arrive through the post ?
Thanks.
Paul.

Greg Hawkes March 19th, 2008 07:30 AM

Hi Paul

To transfer 14.6giig (16 gigg card) less than 5 mins.
tranfers the whole folder BPAV.

Open in clip browser and exactly as captured from the camera with USB lead (which is what I wanted to get away from as the USB socket is fragile.

By comparison the time via camera USB is around 17 mins.

Delivery took around one week.

You need to install the driver for the s x s cards as I am sure you realise after installing the card.

I have no experience of the Sony Card reader.

As I said it is not hot swappable in XP but the documentation says it is using Vista.

Paul Kellett March 19th, 2008 08:35 AM

Thanks Greg.
Regarding vista,yeah i can believe what your saying about hot swap,vista seems to be better/ahead when it comes to things like that,i've only installed 1 or 2 drivers manually with vista,everything else i plug in and a little icon pops up saying "installing device driver",seems vista takes care of it all. I've got the sony card reader and didn't need to install the sxs card driver,i just plugged it in and it installed itself.

Thanks,Paul.

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2008 08:51 AM

You have to understand that ExpressCards can either use USB2.0 interface (slow, but self-installable and hot-swappable), or PICe (much faster, unfortunately not quite hot-swappable; need Sony SxS driver to even see the card).

I have just installed the "PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Drive
Read-Writer Front" device (see http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...drive_03.html). However, I'm disappointed that neither under Windows XP, nor Vista is the device hot-swappable with Sony SxS cards:(

Once I remove a card, upon another insertion it cannot be seen (Windows says I need to format it before use). I have to use Device Manager to manually UNINSTALL the device first, then SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES each time after re-inserting an SxS card.

My reader doesn't probably differ in this department from those many PCIe->ExpressCard readers like Greg's; the only advantage over it being the front access I'm having. If somebody finds a way to automatically unmount/remount SxS cards, I'm all ears ...

Greg Hawkes March 19th, 2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 844952)
You have to understand that ExpressCards can either use USB2.0 interface (slow, but self-installable and hot-swappable), or PICe (much faster, unfortunately not quite hot-swappable; need Sony SxS driver to even see the card).

I have just installed the "PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Drive
Read-Writer Front" device (see http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...drive_03.html). However, I'm disappointed that neither under Windows XP, nor Vista is the device hot-swappable with Sony SxS cards:(

Once I remove a card, upon another insertion it cannot be seen (Windows says I need to format it before use). I have to use Device Manager to manually UNINSTALL the device first, then SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES each time after re-inserting an SxS card.

My reader doesn't probably differ in this department from those many PCIe->ExpressCard readers like Greg's; the only advantage over it being the front access I'm having. If somebody finds a way to automatically unmount/remount SxS cards, I'm all ears ...

Piotr

My card does not give me the problems you mention.

To use, before booting pc insert card in reader (yours might work this way too. Try it.) boot pc . Xp reccognises the card so you can double click the
S x S symbol and then copy the BPAV folder or, open the clip browser software navigate to the new drive (the card) and decide which clips you want to copy , export as MXF.

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes (Post 844998)
Piotr

My card does not give me the problems you mention.

To use, before booting pc insert card in reader (yours might work this way too. Try it.) boot pc . Xp reccognises the card so you can double click the
S x S symbol and then copy the BPAV folder or, open the clip browser software navigate to the new drive (the card) and decide which clips you want to copy , export as MXF.

Greg, mine does the same - i.e. when booted with a card in the drives, Windows can access it just fine (and indeed very fast).

Howver, what I'm complaining about is what happens when I remove the card, and want to mount another one. Then - even though the SxS mass storage is still visible in the Device Manager - I need to first remove the device from the Device Manager and than scan for HW changes so that it re-freshes it with the new card contents. This is very cumbersome (at least I don't need to reboot, like the Mac users do).

Can YOU just hot-swap the SxS cards?

Jason Bodnar March 19th, 2008 10:24 AM

Piotr, have you tried right clicking and selecting the Eject device option?

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar (Post 845004)
Piotr, have you tried right clicking and selecting the Eject device option?

Yep - this would be the most logical solution, but unfortunatley the right-button menu does NOT contain the Eject option like it does with most removable storage devices/

Greg Hawkes March 19th, 2008 12:28 PM

Piotr. No I can not hot swap the cards. To mount a second card . Just eject the card and power down the pc, insert the second card and re-boot. This is of course not perfect but 1. Does not involve using the fragile mini usb socket and 2 . Transfers the data very quickly.