DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX autofocus issues: problem for (moving) handheld interviews? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117322-ex-autofocus-issues-problem-moving-handheld-interviews.html)

Malcolm Hamilton March 19th, 2008 08:11 AM

EX autofocus issues: problem for (moving) handheld interviews?

Hi there,
I often shoot interviews handheld... bit of movement in all directions; not MTV-style, but definitely not wanting it to look like a tripod shot (which I do as well).
I'm usually wide-open most of the time.
With the Z1 I've been using, I use autofocus for these interviews, and it works fine. Will autofocus work fine with the EX as well, for these situations?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Steven Thomas March 19th, 2008 09:23 AM

If your using 1080i on the EX1 framing wide, it works fine.

Malcolm Hamilton March 19th, 2008 09:25 AM

Thanks so much Steven...
Malcolm

Bruce Rawlings March 19th, 2008 02:36 PM

Why autofocus on an interview? Whatever the camera I would be worried sick that the system is going to wander off and back and ruin the shot.

Mike Barber March 19th, 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 844932)
I'm usually wide-open most of the time.
With the Z1 I've been using, I use autofocus for these interviews, and it works fine. Will autofocus work fine with the EX as well, for these situations?

By "wide-open most of the time" do you mean a wide angle or an open iris?

Either way, I would consider going to manual focus regardless of which camera you use. Autofocus isn't very reliable on any camera, unless both your subject and your camera is stationary -- and your subject is dead center, as this is where autofocus is looking.

Brett Sherman March 20th, 2008 08:22 AM

I agree. Never use autofocus in an interview. Since the interview subject stays pretty much the same distance from the camera there is no reason for it. I've seen many interviews (not ones I've shot) ruined by auto-focus problems. Also since you are wide open (wide angle I assume) exact focus isn't as critical. Zoom in, focus, zoom out and don't change it.

Malcolm Hamilton March 20th, 2008 11:55 AM

thanks so much... I'm learning a ton here (I don't mind admitting I'm very new at this). My thinking was (past tense) that since I was moving the camera during the interview, the focus might be changing a bit, and I didn't want to have to manually change it, while rolling.
But from what I've just read, if I'm zoomed out wide, I might not have to change the focus anyway... I'm not moving more than a couple feet in this direction or that, anyway. So I'll zoom-in, focus, zoom-out, and leave it alone.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Bruce Rawlings March 20th, 2008 12:03 PM

Basically Malcom ignore all the gimmicks autofocus/auto iris/atw. All these things have there place but can easily wreck your pictures.