EX autofocus issues: problem for (moving) handheld interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

EX autofocus issues: problem for (moving) handheld interviews?

Hi there,
I often shoot interviews handheld... bit of movement in all directions; not MTV-style, but definitely not wanting it to look like a tripod shot (which I do as well).
I'm usually wide-open most of the time.
With the Z1 I've been using, I use autofocus for these interviews, and it works fine. Will autofocus work fine with the EX as well, for these situations?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Trustee

If your using 1080i on the EX1 framing wide, it works fine.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks so much Steven...
Malcolm
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Why autofocus on an interview? Whatever the camera I would be worried sick that the system is going to wander off and back and ruin the shot.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
I'm usually wide-open most of the time.
With the Z1 I've been using, I use autofocus for these interviews, and it works fine. Will autofocus work fine with the EX as well, for these situations?
By "wide-open most of the time" do you mean a wide angle or an open iris?

Either way, I would consider going to manual focus regardless of which camera you use. Autofocus isn't very reliable on any camera, unless both your subject and your camera is stationary -- and your subject is dead center, as this is where autofocus is looking.
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Major Player

I agree. Never use autofocus in an interview. Since the interview subject stays pretty much the same distance from the camera there is no reason for it. I've seen many interviews (not ones I've shot) ruined by auto-focus problems. Also since you are wide open (wide angle I assume) exact focus isn't as critical. Zoom in, focus, zoom out and don't change it.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks so much... I'm learning a ton here (I don't mind admitting I'm very new at this). My thinking was (past tense) that since I was moving the camera during the interview, the focus might be changing a bit, and I didn't want to have to manually change it, while rolling.
But from what I've just read, if I'm zoomed out wide, I might not have to change the focus anyway... I'm not moving more than a couple feet in this direction or that, anyway. So I'll zoom-in, focus, zoom-out, and leave it alone.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Basically Malcom ignore all the gimmicks autofocus/auto iris/atw. All these things have there place but can easily wreck your pictures.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds