Would you still buy the EX1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #31
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Barry J. Weckesser;853308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, QUOTE]

The external microphone mount is not the same as say the Sony Z1 of V1?? I didn't know that. I was thinking of using this microphone if and when I finally buy the camera: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...30f/index.html
It is 21mm (.83") but states it comes with a threaded adaptor. I am using this same microphone on the V1 with no adaptor.
Can't comment on the Z1 - this is my first video camera. But before I bought it I read a lot of people complaining about the "Non-standard" mic holder ring size. My supplier sold me the camera with a Sennheiser K6/ME66 mic combination which just rolled around loosely until they found a plastic ring adapter I could add to "fill out" the mic to the PMW-EX1 size.

With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out, the cost of the adapters to fix that problem (can't get hold of mkemml here but supplier is saying look at Rode), and now the original mount having snapped off (the plastic "baseplate" is so flimsy it's a joke) I'm not sure what to do next re having an on-board mic that's better than the camera's own mic.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #32
Trustee

I am besotted by my EX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I think my Z1 might have more life in it than I anticipated...
I have 2x Z1s, and they do what they do. For 2.5 years, they have done what they do.

The EX1 is a big hairy chested camera in a pint sized format, and it doesn't like auto anything, and it makes many demands. My Metaphor du Jour is that, if you're a Z1 user moving to an EX1, it's like a cat owner getting a dog.

Remeber this: you've never heard of a guard cat, or a guide-cat for the blind, or a sniffer cat. In this case, the EX1 is a DOG. Technically, physically and metaphorically, it's a bitch. And I love her.

I'm sold on 720p50 as a Corporate/Infomercial format. I'll buy another when 32 GB cards become cheaper. The SxS format is such a peach for Candids (especially compared to my experience with P2, where I'd not shoot enough because of the fear of filling a card too quickly). There are some serious wrinkles in the technicalities, but because my clients - and even my wife - can tell the difference between Z1 and EX1 rushes, I'm sticking with EX1.

The Z7 and the HVX200 is where a real scrap exists.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #33
Trustee

Great descriptions, Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I have 2x Z1s, and they do what they do. For 2.5 years, they have done what they do.
It sure does do what it does, and does it well. It's been a great camera for me. But it's a whole new world out there...
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #34
New Boot

Chiming in here from Canada. Long time follower of the site, first time poster, Thanks to all who take the time to share their findings! Spent far too many hours here!

Just picked up an EX1 in Toronto. Ran tests for vignetting and backfocus found here and came up clean as a whistle. Was told that all Canadian EX1's are opened by Sony Canada and inspected before being passed along to dealers. Serial number high 4800's.

Taking it up to the Canadian High Arctic this summer for a month as I paint and film one of the most incredible places on earth (OK, so I'm biast). Excited about having a camera that will give the freedom to capture such incredible images, and that I can still backpack for weeks.

Again, thanks fro this site Chris!, and all who contribute to it.

Last edited by Cory Trepanier; April 3rd, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add signature at bottom
Cory Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM   #35
Major Player

"With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out"

Ian,

The Rodes mic holder SM5 forces the mic up and back if you slide the holder slotfrom the back (reversed). The you can keep a wind sock on the senheiser
at it will never be in shot.

Works well, although my mic holder has also broken from rubbing on its bag with the windsock on!

EX? despite paint coming off, broken holders etc, just bought a second one for all our 2 camera work. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers Vaughan
Attached Images

Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM   #36
Trustee

Would you still buy the EX1?

I would.
picture quality, low light, tapeless flow - I don't miss my A1
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Yep! Definitely
Dean Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
"With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out"

Ian,

The Rodes mic holder SM5 forces the mic up and back if you slide the holder slotfrom the back (reversed). The you can keep a wind sock on the senheiser
at it will never be in shot.

Works well, although my mic holder has also broken from rubbing on its bag with the windsock on!

EX? despite paint coming off, broken holders etc, just bought a second one for all our 2 camera work. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers Vaughan
The SM5 is way too heavy for the mic mount.
If you take the shock mount off the heavy aluminimium tube you can then attach it to the camera directly. Only takes a small piece of aluminium with 4 holes and a couple of 3mm screws.

Some details here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....80&postcount=6
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #39
Trustee

The ME66 is probably just way too long for a camera like this and it frankly has pretty crappy sound. You are much better off with an Octava as it is much high quality and small & light.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I just love the images that come out of this camera. I would buy it again in a NY second.

SN 1386
no vignetting
no back focus problem
image beats the pants off a Z1
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #41
Trustee

i have two of the things so I would say yes, but don't think I will buy another one!!!
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
yes, but don't think I will buy another one!!!
Because NAB is almost upon us and EX3 might offer better ergonomics?

Or is the EX1 the PD-10 and you're waiting for the PD-150 rather than the PDX-10?
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Because NAB is almost upon us and EX3 might offer better ergonomics?

Or is the EX1 the PD-10 and you're waiting for the PD-150 rather than the PDX-10?
because 2 is enough! Dont understand the PD10 stuff etc as never had those cameras! NAB will be interesting, am expecting Panasonic to bring out something new and JVC

Last edited by Phil Bloom; April 6th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #44
Major Player

And Red will unveil the Scarlett whatever it will turn out to be.

So yes, exciting times ahead.

The one thing that turned me away from the EX-1 (and basically other handheld cameras before it) is the handling/ergonomics. I have a XL-H1 (which is not too great either in that department) but much better then all those handheld cameras (and the EX-1 is the worst of all handhelds).
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #45
Trustee

yeah handheld is a mare without the shoulder mount I have. hate holding the ex1 without it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds