DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Would you still buy the EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117417-would-you-still-buy-ex1.html)

Vito DeFilippo March 20th, 2008 08:10 AM

Would you still buy the EX1?

Hey all,

I was all gung ho to upgrade when I first read about the EX1, but now with the vignetting and backfocus issues, I'm pretty leery. I'd hate to order one and have to send it back, perhaps more than once.

I know we hear all about problems on a forum, but does anyone have any sense of how widespread the problems are? I figured Sony would have fixed the problem but people are still posting about receiving brand new cameras that show the vignetting.

I think my Z1 might have more life in it than I anticipated...

George Kroonder March 20th, 2008 08:58 AM

If you tally everyone here in the "problem" threads you will get a few hand-fulls. A lot of the initial problems seem to have been handled by QA, although some still seem to seep through.

However, serial numbers are in the thousends. So if that is anything to go by, serious problems should be rare indeed.

George/

Sean Donnelly March 20th, 2008 09:05 AM

Just received mine yesterday. It was SN 1789, a very low number for this late after the release. It has the vignetting problem in two corners, however the back focus is fine. I just spoke to someone at sony and I'm going to try to swap it with another one from the dealer rather than send it to them. Once this gets sorted out, I'll have very few complaints about this camera, especially considering what you get.

-Sean

Michael Maier March 20th, 2008 10:10 AM

Mine has neither back focus or vignetting problems.
I would buy another one in a heart beat.

Craig Hollenback March 20th, 2008 10:40 AM

Yes, I would get another

My camera had a back focus issue which I fixed using the camera's internal software...no problem. Also, no problem with vignetting. I would purchase another because it produces a better picture than any other camera that I could hope to afford.
Best, Craig

Bill Ravens March 20th, 2008 10:41 AM

no brainer....YES!

Vito DeFilippo March 20th, 2008 10:42 AM

Most reassuring, you guys. I guess I got overwhelmed by all the attention on the vignetting and back focus.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 845645)
Most reassuring, you guys. I guess I got overwhelmed by all the attention on the vignetting and back focus.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would buy it 3 more times. :)

Bruce Rawlings March 20th, 2008 11:08 AM

Absolutely yes. Will probably get another. I feel for the guys who have bad ones but I am sure Sony will sort them out. The fact that we have good ones means that Sony must come up with the goods for all.

Piotr Wozniacki March 20th, 2008 11:18 AM

No only would, but most probably will - as soon as the dust settles...

Kevin Walsh March 20th, 2008 11:20 AM

I wouldn't jump in again until I was SURE all of the issues had been resolved. I took a chance getting in early and I got burned. Mine has horrible back focusing probs (SN# 101581) and it will drain a full batt. in 24 hrs with power off.
It cost me $170 to ship this thing to San Jose CA because (according to Sony) that is the nearest service center that can fix it. :(

I'm hoping to have better luck with the HVR-Z7U that I just purchased.

Mike Mona March 21st, 2008 12:53 AM

Mine is for the second time in 4weeks (since I own it) back to San Jose for a faulty auto white balance and they told me, is not only my camera, but a problem with EX1 nobody seems to care. Well, excuse moi, I do expect that a 7k camera will do at least what my 2k PDX10 does perfectly.

Thank you,
Mike

Sebastien Thomas March 21st, 2008 03:23 AM

My EX1, delivered mid-december, is working perfectly. It's a great camera.
Maybe the besti thing to do is go to your reseller and ask to try it before you buy it, then you can check for white, backfocus or vignetting issues.

I love this cam and would'nt wait for another model, which may be far more buggy :)

Sean Donnelly March 21st, 2008 06:02 AM

I'm exchanging mine today for a higher SN so the dealer can handle returning this one for vignetting. It's annoying, but there are plenty of cameras without this problem. There are some bugs with this camera, but it seems all of these are slowly being worked out. Other than the few issues we've been talking about here, it's a fantastic camera. I seriously doubt that sony would have a replacement at NAB. It seems panasonic will have a new camcorder next month, but that's more of a DVX replacement than an HVX replacement (AVCHD, $2500 roughly).

-Sean

Gerald Loidl March 21st, 2008 08:27 AM

I would not buy it again! Not now before all the problems are settled.
See my post here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=644

Jac Chesson March 21st, 2008 10:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

For what it's worth, if you're on the bleeding edge of a revolutionary camera introduction, you're going to have to expect some glitches. Please enter this process with your eyes open.

I had to send my first EX-1 back to the reseller to get a replacement because of a bad back focus issue. Now I couldn't be happier.

I admit that I'm a camera snob. I've shot well over 100 projects with the Sony F900. Using a camera like that every day you get spoiled. But I'm here to say that the EX-1 offers superb picture quality. Absolutely comparable to the F900!

Sure there are functionality issues compared to a professional camera. I wish it was full-sized with a real viewfinder on the side, BUT this camera costs less than 1/3 of the price of a professional HD LENS!!

How Sony can do all this for a sub $7k price point, I don't know. But I have gladly purchased one and am enjoying the benefits.

Dennis Joseph March 21st, 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jac Chesson (Post 846192)
Hi Everyone,

For what it's worth, if you're on the bleeding edge of a revolutionary camera introduction, you're going to have to expect some glitches. Please enter this process with your eyes open.

I had to send my first EX-1 back to the reseller to get a replacement because of a bad back focus issue. Now I couldn't be happier.

I admit that I'm a camera snob. I've shot well over 100 projects with the Sony F900. Using a camera like that every day you get spoiled. But I'm here to say that the EX-1 offers superb picture quality. Absolutely comparable to the F900!

Sure there are functionality issues compared to a professional camera. I wish it was full-sized with a real viewfinder on the side, BUT this camera costs less than 1/3 of the price of a professional HD LENS!!

How Sony can do all this for a sub $7k price point, I don't know. But I have gladly purchased one and am enjoying the benefits.

it is always comforting to hear this coming from someone who has shot with the F900.

John Hedgecoe March 21st, 2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh (Post 845670)
It cost me $170 to ship this thing to San Jose CA because (according to Sony) that is the nearest service center that can fix it. :(

Something is wrong here. I had the vignette problem with my EX1. I phoned Sony and they sent me a prepaid FedEx label to send the camera to San Jose Ca, from Florida. The FedEx label even arrived overnight!

As for the vignette problem, fixed 100%.

Not only would I buy another Ex1, I am planning on buying another in a few months.

Steven Thomas March 21st, 2008 11:40 AM

John,
consider yourself lucky! There are some who have sent it in only to come back the same or worse, including me.

Raymond Schlogel March 21st, 2008 12:54 PM

Would absolutely but it again, and would buy a second one if I had the budget.

- Ray

Akira Hakuta March 21st, 2008 01:27 PM

I'm not sure- thankfully my company paid for mine. My current camera seems to have several odd problems, shot transition doesn't work, I definitely have the vignetting issue, and my sound is messed up (see my previous postings) to the point where I have to send it back to San Jose for them to look at it. Hopefully, they'll be able to fix all these issues, and if they do, I will definitely think the camera is worth having. Mine's a fairly early production (serial number starts with 101) so I guess later models don't have any of these issues, I would hope not at least.

Mike Mona March 31st, 2008 08:54 PM

Mine is one month old and ready to go back to service a third time. Not only but the unbalanced grip and the weight of it, makes it impossible to use it without a tripod.
No way, I would not buy it again.

Thank you,
Mike

Akira Hakuta March 31st, 2008 10:27 PM

Mike, check out the Anton Bauer Egripz which was recommended to EX1 users somewhere else on this forum. I got one and it makes a big, big difference with regards to hand holding the EX1. Granted, it doesn't make it balance perfectly, but it goes a long way towards making it manageable. My camera was sent off today to San Jose for various repairs, hopefully they will fix everything I listed in my note to them.

Mike, what did they not fix after they got your camera and sent it back to you twice already??

John Hess April 2nd, 2008 12:28 PM

I've had a 90% positive experience with the EX1 now that the workflow is figured out.

The first EX1 (serial in the 500s) I had fell off a dolly and really messed up the iris mechanics. I sent it to Sony for repair and after 2 harrowing weeks of back and forth with those guys, I get the call that they can't repair it and were sending me a brand new camera (serial in the 2000s) with brand new accessories!!!

Got it back, shot several projects with it and I am very happy with it (with the exception of the rolling shutter issue when shooting in strobby environments like strip clubs - which I did an ad for)

I recently did a 2 camera shoot with the Z1u and the EX1. Set the camera on the 60i CBR mode and I'm telling you the EX1 still outperforms the Z1u - even in similiar bitrates. And I really love my Z1u...

Vito DeFilippo April 2nd, 2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mona (Post 852068)
Not only but the unbalanced grip and the weight of it, makes it impossible to use it without a tripod.

I don't know if it deserves a separate thread, but what about Mike's comment? I do a lot of hand held work. Is that enough of an issue to actually make the camera unsuitable?

John Hess April 2nd, 2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 853036)
I don't know if it deserves a separate thread, but what about Mike's comment? I do a lot of hand held work. Is that enough of an issue to actually make the camera unsuitable?

I'll be quite honest... I do okay when shooting handheld- actually about as good as the Z1u. The rotating grip actually makes it easier to cradle.

But if you do a lot of handheld (which I don't) then I would buy a shoulder mount setup for it.

Mike Testin April 2nd, 2008 01:00 PM

Just buy a $50 dollar shoulder mount off ebay for it. They work great. Other than that, the camera is easily the best available under $17,500 for me.

Sean Donnelly April 2nd, 2008 01:41 PM

It's really not that bad to handhold. It's no HV20, but then again it's a much different camera. I don't think that the grip is that far off of the center of gravity, I love the rotation feature, and I very rarely use it for more than a minute or so without two hands.

-Sean`

Ian Smith April 2nd, 2008 04:41 PM

Would I buy it again? Yes. Absolutely.

But that's not to say it doesn't have its flaws.

And the cost of the camera is just a small part of the cost. People talk about the cheap shoulder mount (my dealer added a large mark up :(), but omit to mention the cost of getting a good mounting plate solution that enables speedy switching from tripod to shoulder mount. My tripod maker (Miller) is currently quoting close to £200 for a shoulder mounting plate solution that might be available in a couple of weeks time (fortunately there are cheaper solutions!). The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, and the extra SxS cards needed it's worked out a LOT more expensive than I'd originally planned.

Having to remember to take batteries off the camera because they drain even when it's off is a pain.

The lettering on the camera shouldn't flake off after just a few weeks.

Oh and tonight, on its fourth outing, the plastic external microphone mount snapped off.

But there's so many pluses I forgive it its flaws, and yes, I'd buy it again!

Barry J. Weckesser April 2nd, 2008 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=Ian Smith;853183] The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, QUOTE]

The external microphone mount is not the same as say the Sony Z1 of V1?? I didn't know that. I was thinking of using this microphone if and when I finally buy the camera: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...30f/index.html
It is 21mm (.83") but states it comes with a threaded adaptor. I am using this same microphone on the V1 with no adaptor.

Ian Smith April 3rd, 2008 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=Barry J. Weckesser;853308]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Smith (Post 853183)
The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, QUOTE]

The external microphone mount is not the same as say the Sony Z1 of V1?? I didn't know that. I was thinking of using this microphone if and when I finally buy the camera: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...30f/index.html
It is 21mm (.83") but states it comes with a threaded adaptor. I am using this same microphone on the V1 with no adaptor.

Can't comment on the Z1 - this is my first video camera. But before I bought it I read a lot of people complaining about the "Non-standard" mic holder ring size. My supplier sold me the camera with a Sennheiser K6/ME66 mic combination which just rolled around loosely until they found a plastic ring adapter I could add to "fill out" the mic to the PMW-EX1 size.

With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out, the cost of the adapters to fix that problem (can't get hold of mkemml here but supplier is saying look at Rode), and now the original mount having snapped off (the plastic "baseplate" is so flimsy it's a joke) I'm not sure what to do next re having an on-board mic that's better than the camera's own mic.

Matt Davis April 3rd, 2008 02:28 PM

I am besotted by my EX1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 845515)
I think my Z1 might have more life in it than I anticipated...

I have 2x Z1s, and they do what they do. For 2.5 years, they have done what they do.

The EX1 is a big hairy chested camera in a pint sized format, and it doesn't like auto anything, and it makes many demands. My Metaphor du Jour is that, if you're a Z1 user moving to an EX1, it's like a cat owner getting a dog.

Remeber this: you've never heard of a guard cat, or a guide-cat for the blind, or a sniffer cat. In this case, the EX1 is a DOG. Technically, physically and metaphorically, it's a bitch. And I love her.

I'm sold on 720p50 as a Corporate/Infomercial format. I'll buy another when 32 GB cards become cheaper. The SxS format is such a peach for Candids (especially compared to my experience with P2, where I'd not shoot enough because of the fear of filling a card too quickly). There are some serious wrinkles in the technicalities, but because my clients - and even my wife - can tell the difference between Z1 and EX1 rushes, I'm sticking with EX1.

The Z7 and the HVX200 is where a real scrap exists.

Vito DeFilippo April 3rd, 2008 02:38 PM

Great descriptions, Matt!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 853762)
I have 2x Z1s, and they do what they do. For 2.5 years, they have done what they do.

It sure does do what it does, and does it well. It's been a great camera for me. But it's a whole new world out there...

Cory Trepanier April 3rd, 2008 05:21 PM

Chiming in here from Canada. Long time follower of the site, first time poster, Thanks to all who take the time to share their findings! Spent far too many hours here!

Just picked up an EX1 in Toronto. Ran tests for vignetting and backfocus found here and came up clean as a whistle. Was told that all Canadian EX1's are opened by Sony Canada and inspected before being passed along to dealers. Serial number high 4800's.

Taking it up to the Canadian High Arctic this summer for a month as I paint and film one of the most incredible places on earth (OK, so I'm biast). Excited about having a camera that will give the freedom to capture such incredible images, and that I can still backpack for weeks.

Again, thanks fro this site Chris!, and all who contribute to it.

Vaughan Wood April 3rd, 2008 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out"

Ian,

The Rodes mic holder SM5 forces the mic up and back if you slide the holder slotfrom the back (reversed). The you can keep a wind sock on the senheiser
at it will never be in shot.

Works well, although my mic holder has also broken from rubbing on its bag with the windsock on!

EX? despite paint coming off, broken holders etc, just bought a second one for all our 2 camera work. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers Vaughan

Buba Kastorski April 3rd, 2008 07:08 PM

Would you still buy the EX1?

I would.
picture quality, low light, tapeless flow - I don't miss my A1

Dean Gill April 4th, 2008 03:11 AM

Yep! Definitely

Bob Grant April 4th, 2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood (Post 853912)
"With the problems with that K6/ME66 showing up when I zoom out"

Ian,

The Rodes mic holder SM5 forces the mic up and back if you slide the holder slotfrom the back (reversed). The you can keep a wind sock on the senheiser
at it will never be in shot.

Works well, although my mic holder has also broken from rubbing on its bag with the windsock on!

EX? despite paint coming off, broken holders etc, just bought a second one for all our 2 camera work. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers Vaughan

The SM5 is way too heavy for the mic mount.
If you take the shock mount off the heavy aluminimium tube you can then attach it to the camera directly. Only takes a small piece of aluminium with 4 holes and a couple of 3mm screws.

Some details here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....80&postcount=6

Leonard Levy April 4th, 2008 12:41 PM

The ME66 is probably just way too long for a camera like this and it frankly has pretty crappy sound. You are much better off with an Octava as it is much high quality and small & light.

Charles Young April 4th, 2008 12:51 PM

I just love the images that come out of this camera. I would buy it again in a NY second.

SN 1386
no vignetting
no back focus problem
image beats the pants off a Z1