HD-SDI Output 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I still don't quite believe it. He says that it is still 420, but I think he was confused and thought the question was directed at the recorded color space. It has been confirmed by numerous sources that the HD-SDI is 422 in live mode, and 420 when playing back from media.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM   #32
Major Player

I'd also say he got confused because the interviewer first blurted out 4:2:0. The response was delayed a bit before the Sony Exec answered and I could see him trying to develop an answer. Then a bit latter he mentions that the EX1 will be firmware upgraded to the same EX3 capabilities.

The EX1 has been confirmed to be 4:2:2. Sony is not going to take a step backward with the planned firmware update. Stop and think about it. The EX3 is intended for studio work which today relies heavily on chroma keying.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM   #33
Regular Crew

It would not be the first time an Exec did not fully know the capabilities of a product, thats not really their job, more a marketing and product management job.

However if you're going to be interviewed make sure you know your stuff or pass it to someone who does to avoid confusion.

I actually agree that it would be unlikely that Sony would downgrade the spec if the EX1 has already been independently confirmed as 422 and 10 bit.

But when you get it from the horses mouth you gots ta wonder!!!

Pretty fine camera it is too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
I'd also say he got confused because the interviewer first blurted out 4:2:0. The response was delayed a bit before the Sony Exec answered and I could see him trying to develop an answer. Then a bit latter he mentions that the EX1 will be firmware upgraded to the same EX3 capabilities.

The EX1 has been confirmed to be 4:2:2. Sony is not going to take a step backward with the planned firmware update. Stop and think about it. The EX3 is intended for studio work which today relies heavily on chroma keying.
Dean Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM   #34
Major Player

wikipedia ...

"Several color encodings are possible in the serial digital interface. The default (and most common case) is 10-bit linearly sampled video data encoded as 4:2:2 YCbCr. (YCbCr is a digital representation of the YPbPr colorspace). Samples of video are stored as described above. Data words correspond to signal levels of the respective video components, as follows:
The luminance (Y) channel is defined such that a signal level of 0 mV is assigned the codeword 64 (40 hex), and 700 millivolts (full scale) is assigned the codeword 940 (3AC hex) .
For the chroma channels, 0 mV is assigned the code word 512 (200 hex), -350mV is assigned a code word of 64 (40 hex), and +350mV is assigned a code word of 960 (3C0 hex)."
It looks like the rep. misspoke unless Sony is doing something odd.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Wrangler

With all due respect to Bob, I believe he mis-spoke in the heat of the interview.

At NAB, he's got about a million things on his mind so I'd give him a pass on this. I can get clarification on it.

You can pretty much believe that it's 4:2:2 when taken live from the camera head.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #36
Wrangler

It's 4:2:2 when output live. Bob says he is going to contact them to clarify.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #37
Regular Crew

The only way to solve this...

I would love to see actual footage of this method, with a cross comparison to capturing 4:2:2 live from camera, versus just capturing to card.

Anyone find any footage taken at this point?

Peace and Blessings,
Hidalgo
Danny Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hidalgo View Post
I would love to see actual footage of this method, with a cross comparison to capturing 4:2:2 live from camera, versus just capturing to card.

Anyone find any footage taken at this point?

Peace and Blessings,
Hidalgo
I really would like to see a comparison video on 422 vs 420
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #39
Trustee

Video segment updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
With all due respect to Bob, I believe he mis-spoke in the heat of the interview.
Thanks for raising this question, Greg. We spoke with Bob Ott once more, and he confirmed that the EX3 outputs 4:2:2 from the spigot. The interview video segment has been re-edited to reflect this correction.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #40
Major Player

Remember what was said earlier in this discussion - 4:2:2 is somewhat meaningless at this point. What really matters is how many color pixels are actually recorded, since even poor color can be packaged into 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4. I am an HVX-200 user, partially because of the incredible color quality. It will be instructive to have some blinded observers look at video from several sources, including perhaps the EX-1, the EX-3 and the HVX (or the new HPX-170, which has HD-SDI output as well).
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell View Post
What really matters is how many color pixels are actually recorded,
Which is all the reason full 1920x1080 raster SDI 4:2:2 10 bit out of the EX1 is decent.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #42
New Boot

1080p25 ex1 hdsdi out is actually 25psf

from the manual page 116
so that's why my aja iohd "sees" a 1080i25 signal when i haqve a ex1 1080p25 preset

gues for doest mather quality wise because the psf is only a way to store the progressive signal in a interlaced wrapper so both the uper and lower field are taken in the same time
as for the 8 or 10 bit 422 or 420 stil waiting for an answer from sony

cheers

martijn
Martijn Scholte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds