MOVIETUBE JR...NEW 35mm adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Major Player

MOVIETUBE JR...NEW 35mm adapter

http://www.movietube.com/press/MovietubeJR.pdf

Price tag will be about $4,500 I think. Whats your thoughts?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Why is it ~4x the cost of a Letus Extreme, which looks almost the same, or other competitors like the Brevis35 or Redrock M2?

Am I missing something?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Why is it ~4x the cost of a Letus Extreme, which looks almost the same, or other competitors like the Brevis35 or Redrock M2?

Am I missing something?

George/
That's what i'm trying to figure out. I think somewhere on the bottom fine print it says that it comes with 1 Czech model. I may be mistaken.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post

Am I missing something?

George/
Probably because it's well engineered, rightly collimated with a back focus that works out of the box for example and made to work without giving you headaches in front of your clients on the set, while all the cheaper adapters have some sort of compromise? The Letus Extreme for example doesn't come with the back focus adjusted from the factory even though they say it does and some people are having a heck of a time trying to adjust it themselves without any success. Professionals will pay a premium for piece of mind and things that actually work.
Also, as it's made in Germany the weak dollar is to blame for the high price in the U.S.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Probably because it's well engineered, rightly collimated with a back focus that works out of the box for example and made to work without giving you headaches in front of your clients on the set, while all the cheaper adapters have some sort of compromise? The Letus Extreme for example doesn't come with the back focus adjusted from the factory even though they say it does and some people are having a heck of a time trying to adjust it themselves without any success. Professionals will pay a premium for piece of mind and things that actually work.
Also, as it's made in Germany the weak dollar is to blame for the high price in the U.S.
If you are correct and this adapter is as flawless as you or they say it is then I would say it is justifiable that they charge more, I dont know about twice as much but you know.... thing is, you have not tried it so how can you make such claims, or did you just go by the brochure and the tech specs?
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
If you are correct and this adapter is as flawless as you or they say it is then I would say it is justifiable that they charge more, I dont know about twice as much but you know.... thing is, you have not tried it so how can you make such claims, or did you just go by the brochure and the tech specs?
Do you know what the word "probably" means? :)

But judging that the Mini35 is very professional and works as it should and the same can be said about the normal movietube, I would say the same would apply to the Jr.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Do you know what the word "probably" means? :)

But judging that the Mini35 is very professional and works as it should and the same can be said about the normal movietube, I would say the same would apply to the Jr.
With or without the "probability" I think 5 grand for an adapter is a tad high.
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Major Player

static screen ...

To have achieved a usable static screen is, in my opinion, the grail of the 35mm adaptor designs. It's a bit pricey no doubt but I'd be interested in a sturdy and hassle free adaptor. None on the market at this point can be said to be hassle free.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Movietube does make some great products. I really like their ST model, although it's a bit pricey it does have arri power connectors, and is very well made. I'm interested to see what they do with the JR. $5000 for a quality adapter is pretty reasonable I think, especially one with a static screen. There are many options available, ranging from homemade to $14000 US for the movietube ST so it really depends what your budget is, but in optics you usually do get what you pay for.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Trustee

yeah it's a lot of money. But it's way cheaper than the old model. Let's see what it is like when it comes out...who fast it is, will it have same issues with the EX1 that all the other adaptors have.

We all want a maintenance, non moving adaptor adaptor that loses very little light.

This was announced quite some time ago. Any idea when it actually might come out?
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

the deal breaker though is.... NO PL MOUNT.
Damn, I knew it was to good to be true.
Michael Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:10 AM   #12
Trustee

I'm sure if the demand is there they will introduce a PL mount too.
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm sure if the demand is there they will introduce a PL mount too.
yeah that's what I was thinking too.
Hey if anyone is listening at Kinomatic / Movietube.

I don't think I'm speaking for myself when I say the demand for a PL MOUNT for the MOVIEtube Jr. is HIGH ! Based on what I know of your company the quality will be top notch on this adapter... and the light loss seems to be as good or better than the others. It's static too ! The specs are measuring up nicely.

If you build it, they will come.
Michael Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Its not THAT much better than my Letus Extreme. I'll use the difference to buy quality glass.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Inner Circle

My guess is the distortion artifact is related to CMOS imagers and a rolling shutter effect when a moving groundglass is operating with the camera set to higher shutter speeds.

My second guess is that the Movietube's fixed groundglass should not provoke any additional artifact beyond what the camera does on fast moves, except maybe for a fixed pattern in adverse lighting conditions.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds