Paint peeling off! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Trustee

Paint peeling off!

My EX1 is about a month old and already the paint is coming off. My sel/set letters are about rubbed off, and the paint on my handle is starting to peel. I was astonished that I can very easily scrape off the paint with my fingernail and there is shiny bare aluminum underneath. Anybody else has this problem?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Any pictures?
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Wouldn't that be covered under the warranty?
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Trustee

I can't take any photos now as my wife took the camera to work this morning. Will post some photos when she gets home. I'm sure warranty will cover it, but it's such a heartbreak when something like this happens. I'm also quite sure that if I wanted to, I could take off all the paint if I tried. If you look at the handle from the side, you'll see that it's in 3 parts; upper, middle, and lower. The problem is the upmost piece. Right where the upper and middle sections meet. I guess it's easier if I post a pic....:(
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Wouldn't that be covered under the warranty?
First of all, i'm not saying that you have been playing football with that camera, but for that paint to be chipping off in a month , what have you been doing with it?

Thank god I got that 3 year extended warranty. Very well worth it and at a good price.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Trustee

The camera hasn't been abused at all, it's been out on only 3 weddings so far. Nothing has been spilled on it. I just noticed the bare spot on the handle this morning and when I tried rubbing it, more paint loosened. Then I scraped it with my fingernail and saw how easily it peels off. There is no primer, just a coat of black paint on aluminum!
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Major Player

It's been noted in a few reviews that the paint rubs of quite quickly in particular spots, especially the select dial. It's a shame but i think its prone to happen after a certain amount of use.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Major Player

I would probably wait till after summer and send it in to warranty and get a new camera. By then you would probably get a flawless camera
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Can one use the waranty in those cases? a friend have de camera for 3 weeks now and have the leters nearly to disapear. I have tried to cover them with a trasnparent film (like the ipod protection). its not so beautiful but Its does the work.
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If my experience with a Sony laptop is anything to go by they won't accept this as warranty. Six months in and several of the keyboard letters had completely wiped off. Then the screen went so I returned it under warranty. They replaced the screen but said the keyboard was normal wear and tear and not covered.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
My EX1 is about a month old and already the paint is coming off. My sel/set letters are about rubbed off, and the paint on my handle is starting to peel. I was astonished that I can very easily scrape off the paint with my fingernail and there is shiny bare aluminum underneath. Anybody else has this problem?

Notice this on the back of my cam profile text is fading
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
First of all, i'm not saying that you have been playing football with that camera, but for that paint to be chipping off in a month , what have you been doing with it?

Thank god I got that 3 year extended warranty. Very well worth it and at a good price.
Dennis,
I also got the extended warranty early last week from my dealer.
I have received no paperwork regarding this warranty.

Did you receive any documentation with your warranty?

I'm going to call my dealer next week.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The ND# "2" and the "set/sel" is printing on the camcorder looks very used for me allready. Just did a few shootings with it. So I think the painting quality isn't very good (have they forgotten the clear coat?). But who cares. A camcorder has to make good pictures and not have a high quality painting. This cam has more problems than it's painting!
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Dennis,
I also got the extended warranty early last week from my dealer.
I have received no paperwork regarding this warranty.

Did you receive any documentation with your warranty?

I'm going to call my dealer next week.
Yes I got a cardboard like envelope with a sticker with phone numbers and a certificate number where I went online and registered with the certificate number.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Major Player

You may be covered by warranty if this is not normal but defective paint. I tried hard to rub my paint off with no success.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds