Premiere Pro CS3 on Mac / Sony PMW-EX1 Import Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Premiere Pro CS3 on Mac / Sony PMW-EX1 Import Workflow

The company I work for wants to use the Ex-1 and take the footage straight to a Mac desktop using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

I've plugged the USB cable from the camera to the Mac, it recognizes the drives on the camera, I can transfer the clips to the Mac and of course when you put them in Premiere, there is video, but no audio.
I expected that much.

If I install the Sony Clip Browser software for Mac, will it wrap the Ex1 files so Premiere will be happy with them? I've been led to believe it's not that easy.

I know at least with Final Cut Pro there is a Sony plug in that makes everything work.

Will an expensive third party solution like Cineform have to be used?

The company has a copy of FCP, but having to import into FCP, then export to PrPro isn't a smooth workflow.
Michael Canion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Adobe is far behind. This is coming from a ex-Adobe Fanboy. I still use the software. but have bought MainConcept's plug-in. Which works great if your projects are less than 9min long and you have less than 7gig of refrence video. (currently in the middle of a long talk with them about this)

So if you are strictly filming :30 spots... its fantastic.

My temp solution is this (by no means should this need to be done). Start a project, edit sections 1, 2, 3, 4, (maybe 2min each).... render out the sectoins... then do 5-8, etc.... then im going to start a master edit and pull in all the rendered chunks. Normally these would just be other sequences... I hope this works.
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No idea if it's in your budget or not, but we use Matrox Axio hardware and software combined with PPro CS3, and it handles all of the EX1's files in realtime after they've been converted to the MXF file format (legacy XDCAM).

Outside of that, I would try to get in touch with Adobe and see when they plan to support the EX1's file structure.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

There is always Cineform.

I use Prospect HD on a PC with PPro CS3, but it also works on Mac OS too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds