Backup options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Chong Lor

Backup options

What are some of the best options for backup footage from the EX1 camera? I'm thinking solid state drive is the best way to go but it's pricey. If buying an old fashion hard drive, what brand has less problems or prone to defects? I'm also thinking about backing up into double layer DVD. The problem is all my MP4 files are in one folder. How do I split those files into multiples of 8.5GB folders? I know that I can't just copy and paste the files. Do I then use the Sony Clip Browser to split those files?
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Clip Browser on Intel Mac or Windows will split BPAV. No way to split on PPC Mac. I'm using Intel Mac and splitting 16GB folders to 8GB for backup. I think DL-DVD is good (Verbatim 2.4x) but others will suggest hard drive.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I have this device and I love it - combined with $140 750GB drives it's an unbeatable way to archive (with the usual caveats of archiving to hard drives)

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_i...roducts_id=650
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
I have this device and I love it - combined with $140 750GB drives it's an unbeatable way to archive (with the usual caveats of archiving to hard drives)

That is really cool. I take it that it works well?

I archive to external drives (in matched pairs). Its cheap and fast. To start I bought 3x500 GB hitachi drives and 3x500 GB Seagate drives and 6 USB enclosures. (You can get a better price/performance/warranty building your own drives). I then have 3 x 500 GB Hitachi/Seagate pairs that hold the same data. One set in a shelf. The other in a safe.

I think DL DVDs are a great backup to hard drives too, but they take a while and I know I won't keep up with it for myself.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

It works perfectly - as advertised.

I have not found any way to buy it other than direct from Japan (through the above link) and the shipping time/price is big. But well worth it.

I found some plastic boxes to hold the mechanisms and so far so good. It's great to take all of those huge files off the computer.

And this method is, of course, very fast.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Chong Lor

Thanks for the response. Initially, I was thinking of hard drive, but then I noticed that hard drive do die often (at least those that I have used before). And for archived, I want something that is a little less expensive and prone to problems.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Chong Lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post

That is quite a product! For sure I'm going to buy it. I think this will solve my problems as far as backup.

Many thanks for the suggestion and link.
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Chong Lor

Okay, I just finished purchasing that product for a total of $80.04. All I needed is USB 2.0 and eSATA port so I didn't go with the combo version.
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Major Player

this appears to be the same thing, available from a US supplier
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817707127
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Chong Lor

Allen, I wished you could have posted a bit earlier. That would have saved me 30 bucks. Any way, it appears that the one in newegg.com has a StarTech.com logo on the front while that one from Japan does not. I'm not sure if it is the same. I also found a Logic version too.

http://www.techfresh.net/gadgets/com...dd-stage-rack/

Not sure if it is the same either.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Major Player

It looks the same to me - good find, Allen.

Chong, you may want to consider canceling your order, not so much for price, but for the time it will take to be delivered. It took almost two weeks to get mine.

Edit:

To clarify, the New Egg unit is the same as mine, but the Logic version is not. Though perhaps just as good while losing the stupidly elegant simplicity of mine.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Major Player

the logo could just be a sticker, however, after I posted, I noticed the newegg one didnt seem to mention esata, only sata.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Plowman View Post
the logo could just be a sticker, however, after I posted, I noticed the newegg one didnt seem to mention esata, only sata.
Yep - it looks like it can take SATA drive, but its transfer speed of just 480Mbps suggest the interface is USB2.0 only.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Major Player

There's one on the original Japanese website that takes Firewire as well - both 400 and 800.

Much more expensive, though:

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_i...roducts_id=691
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Chong Lor

Thanks for the reply. I'm not in a hurry to get mine unless there is one in the US with eSATA and USB 2.0.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds