telephoto options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 28th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

telephoto options

Anyone found a telephoto extender solution beyond the 1.6x Century??

I'm a big wrap for my EX1 an love the width and quality of the lens.

However I'm wanting to find a solution at the long end. Preferably 2X or greater.

Anyone come up with a solution??

cheers
wes
Wes Thomas Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Major Player

My inquiries into longer options lead me nowhere.

The Century 1.6X that I have on order was delayed until at least mid April (according to Zacuto). Lets hope that is it.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

mmmmmmm frustrating

I find it hard to imagine the demand wouldn't be great enough for someone to come up with a quality option.

mmmmmmmm
thinking
Wes Thomas Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Can't you use a 72mm 2x lens for the z1 and put on screw on in stead and a step down ring to 72mm? Use some rods to hold it up.

I guess you would have to zoom even some more to get rid of the vignette, but then you have more telephoto at least.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any news on what's the hold up on the Century? Was orginally meant to be about in March...

My EX1 is gathering dust :(

Anyone bought one of their sunshades for the telephoto lenses? The website has no info on it...
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
Any news on what's the hold up on the Century? Was orginally meant to be about in March...

My EX1 is gathering dust :(

Anyone bought one of their sunshades for the telephoto lenses? The website has no info on it...
We have experienced a few minor glitches that have delayed the delivery a couple weeks. We originally intended to deliver the lenses in late March but things were pushed back about two weeks.

We should be caught up on all back orders in the next two weeks. If anyone out there is waiting to place an order, I wouldn't wait until stock hits store shelves because the stock we will be providing in April will likely sell out given the fact that we are the only manufacturer (aside from Sony) offering a lens that is specifically designed for the EX1. For the short-term, there are plenty to go around.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ryan, I'm still waiting on some screen caps from the EX1 with some of your wide angle lenses.

- Ray
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ryan.

Does that mean you have shipped some? Or will be shipping in the next couple of weeks? I have been in contact with the main uk dealers for them (months ago) but I can't say I am 100% confident about getting one.

What's the lens hood / sunshade like? The reason why I ask is that, as i said in a previous post, I am not really into the fact that the Century polarisers dont rotate. I have found some 105mm polarisers and I can find a 105 -102mm stepdown ring and I would like to use this setup but I can't find any details of on the sunshade so Im not sure if it will fit etc.

thanks.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
Ryan, I'm still waiting on some screen caps from the EX1 with some of your wide angle lenses.

- Ray
My IT people continue to let me down on this one. I have to go and reshoot the footage and with NAB coming around, its going to be another couple weeks. I will get something as soon as I am able.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Ryan.

Does that mean you have shipped some? Or will be shipping in the next couple of weeks? I have been in contact with the main uk dealers for them (months ago) but I can't say I am 100% confident about getting one.

What's the lens hood / sunshade like? The reason why I ask is that, as i said in a previous post, I am not really into the fact that the Century polarisers dont rotate. I have found some 105mm polarisers and I can find a 105 -102mm stepdown ring and I would like to use this setup but I can't find any details of on the sunshade so Im not sure if it will fit etc.

thanks.

We have shipped a couple but the quantities are limited at this time. We will be getting them out to dealers on a first come first served basis. This means the people who ordered the day it was announced in November (a good number) will get theirs first.

The 1.6x are particularly limited but we will hopefully be caught up on all back orders this month.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
We have shipped a couple but the quantities are limited at this time. We will be getting them out to dealers on a first come first served basis. This means the people who ordered the day it was announced in November (a good number) will get theirs first.

The 1.6x are particularly limited but we will hopefully be caught up on all back orders this month.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
mmm im sorry but this is slightly upsetting - I have been after one of these for ages! Are you saying that people who called Scheider direct and ordered one have a priority then (doesnt this mean US customers only) ?

I have called your UK dealer listed on your website (Ortus Media) several times about this and they have failed to call me back and I have no confidence that they have one coming for me.

I have been a great customer of Century / Schneider over the years - Ive bought at least 4 lenses from them. The service one receives from still lens purchases is much better (Nikon & Canon) and the price isn't that different!
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
mmm im sorry but this is slightly upsetting - I have been after one of these for ages! Are you saying that people who called Scheider direct and ordered one have a priority then (doesnt this mean US customers only) ?

I have called your UK dealer listed on your website (Ortus Media) several times about this and they have failed to call me back and I have no confidence that they have one coming for me.

I have been a great customer of Century / Schneider over the years - Ive bought at least 4 lenses from them. The service one receives from still lens purchases is much better (Nikon & Canon) and the price isn't that different!
All orders no matter how they were recieved (dealer or direct, USA or International) are all given out on a first come first served basis. Schneider is concerned with fair and even distribution of our products. We are doing our best to get these out the door. Trust me that it is not in anyone's best interests, including ours, to withhold product.

I am sure you will get your lens very soon and I appreciate your patience in waiting.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks.

i managed to speak to the correct chap today and i am definately on the waiting list and they thought they should have some from around 21st april. i leave for New Calendonia on 25th so maybe ill have it to go with... if you hear about the lenses shipping or being delayed could you let me know? at least i can be prepared then.

any info - size, how it attatches etc on the lens hood?
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Ryan thanks for your help. I have been on the list since late January.
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Ryan thanks for your help. I have been on the list since late January.
I know Paul. You were one of the first to order. I think I saw yours going into QC today so they should leave later this week or early next.

Again, everyone has been very patient with us and I know everybody will be happy with thier accessories. I know I want one. :)

I will also be shooting some screen caps right after NAB. Somebody shot some already but they were in the wrong format and shaky. I will do it myself after NAB and post up ASAP.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds