Backfocus before and after pics. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM   #16
Trustee

On a few of my old/original EX clips before backfocus was fixed and before i noticed,i've noticed,after looking at them in the last few days that the 720/50p stills were even more out of focus.
I'm sticking with 1080/50i from now on,it's good for all round shooting,unless the 25p film look is needed or asked for,in which case i'll shoot 1080/25p.
Or obviously 720 for slo-mo or fast-mo.

Paul.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
What about from a distance though ? Can you focus on something far away then zoom out,then post a screengrab of that.
http://www.mdma.tv/ex1/fb2.html - same again, roll over to switch.

This one was at 1080i SQ whilst I was testing the Z1 and EX1 side by side. Note these are square pixel images so it looks squashed, which it isn't. This is what's being recorded.

That's the last time I'm using 1080i50 at SQ!

Distance is about 15 meters to the office then it's to infinity and beyond.

As I did Flange Back adjustments on Sunday, I didn't think there'd be much to show, but there is a little more 'oomph' in the detail.

BTW, didn't use a chart this time. just used the edges of the office door.

PS: FWIW, the Z1 images looked coarse by comparison, thereby cheering me up no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
hmm...I wonder if it really does make a difference to switch formats. If anyone has any facts and figures please do tell.
Interlaced is a funny Frankenstein format for HD. It was a brilliant cheat for sluggish phosphors on CRT screens over half a century ago. There is no such thing as an interlaced LCD or Plasma. What you're getting for the extra motion costs you a 25% reduction in resolution at best - worst case, a halving of resolution as the display reconstitutes the video to its own needs.

The very reason for going with the EX was that I've had it with interlacing and tape. Progressive from beginning to end from now on. 720p50 looks to be a stunning web/data format for the next few years. It will be 1080p50 in the future, so my long term EX1 footage will be 1080p25.

But no interlacing.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
[url]720p50 looks to be a stunning web/data format for the next few years. It will be 1080p50 in the future, so my long term EX1 footage will be 1080p25.

But no interlacing.
I completely agree!
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I used this test chart setup yesterday to do the flange back routine. Positioned the camera 10 feet away from the wall, zoomed in 14x and then let 'r rip. The result was an improvement for ND Clear setting. ND1 and 2 are better but not as good as I'd like to see. The camera is still going to Sony next week to fix other issues but I'll still get them to look at the back focus thing at the same time.

Serial# 0100569
FW - v.1.02_0337

Camera showed up in the middle of December.

- Don
Attached Thumbnails
Backfocus before and after pics.-test_chart_array-1.jpg  
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #20
Trustee

Don,which order did you perform the test,ie did you do ND off then ND1 then ND 2 ? Because if you did then ND 2 should've been the best IF the cam only remembers the last adjustment !!
Can you post some screen grabs ?

Paul.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I will later. But I don't have any before pics. Just after the fact. I started the routine using ND2 and worked my way back to ND Clear.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Don,which order did you perform the test,ie did you do ND off then ND1 then ND 2 ? Because if you did then ND 2 should've been the best IF the cam only remembers the last adjustment !!
Can you post some screen grabs ?

Paul.

Paul,
There's been no real documented proof how the EX1 sets its ND settings.
It may only use one calibration setting, or it may use individual, or maybe two (with ND, or without).

I realize you may of been told one setting from a Sony service tech, but I would not believe that until we see some sort of documented proof.

There have been several reports from some who stated ND off is sharp and ND 1, or 2 are soft. But, after they tried it using what Gerald suggested, all three settings were good.

Also, like you mentioned, Adam Wilt originally reported it appears to save the last calibration. But, Adam is now reporting all three ND settings are now good.

Since there ARE cameras that do not have BF problem regardless on ND setting, I own one, I believe there is a correct calibration procedure.
I realize this latest procedure has not worked for all, but it sure has for some.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'm hoping Sony will help us understand this issue. I realize that this adjustment is normally done in house, but just to relieve this large burden, Sony should release customer field notes offering the correct Back Focus adjustment direct from Sony Japan. Sony Japan could provide this information with a disclaimer to perform this adjustment at you own risk.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds