external battery with PMX-EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

external battery with PMX-EX1

I will be using the EX1 on a 5 week expedition at high altitude and will be taking a large solar array. I am still concerned about the daily use of the camera due to cold and would like to use an external battery such as the Kanzen powerhouse 200wh under my jacket to keep it warm. Has anyone got any suggestions or experience with this or other external systems?
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Hollywood Studio Rentals

External power solutions for the EX1

Within about an hour of receiving out first EX1 I had created a simple but super effective external powering system. First I cut the DC side power cord from the charger in half, identified the (+) and (-) conductors and soldered 4-pin XLR connectors on them (recall the EX1 is a 14 volt DC system). I then took a set of 28in rods and ran them through one of our universal rod supports. I then grabbed an extra Anton/Bauer - to - XLR plate, drilled and tapped the rods to accept the A/B plate bolt spacing and bolted it on. The mount is now to the rear of the camera. In my first test I grabbed a Hytron 120 (a big battery, smaller would have worked too) and ran the EX-1 for 22 continuous hours; smaller batteries like a Dionic 90 would run less time proportionately. Cool thing is our Chroizsel, Vocas, Petroff and Cinetech matteboxes line up fine on the other side. So does our follow focus and Cinetech on-camera gear. Balance is great even with our Sony wide angle or 16x9 telephoto (with a 77mm - 72mm step down ring, (my Century tele isn't built yet). IDX and other V-mount solutions should be as easy. Or use a battery belt, or a Pelican battery, or.......
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Robert, could you please attach some photos of your solution? I'm thinking of adapting my PAGlock plates/batteries to work with the EX1 and, in the near future, the Flash XDR box...
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

external power supply

Hi Robert
Thank you for your interesting reply. I would also like to see a pic of the setup. Just one thing, The external supply from the power source is 12 V DC as marked on the charger and measured by me. The battery is marked as 14.4 V. In the specs it gives 12V as the power requirement. Is this difference just to ensure that the camera is receiving a minimum of 12V from the battery compared to a constant 12V from a charger or could one do some harm by supplying 14 V from a large external battery into the charger port?
Cheers
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Anton Bauer website has a downloadable battery handbook that explains the ins and outs of battery voltage.

http://www.antonbauer.com/downloads/2002Handbook.pdf
Clark Peters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds