EX1 reader and OS 10.5 and QT 7.4??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Excellent sleuthing on your part, Chris. Yes, I would love to know the name of that utility program so I can get it to the person with the issue.

Thanks in advance.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Don

Pacifist 2.5.2, from download.com here:

http://www.download.com/Pacifist/300...-10135915.html

It's a little complicated if one is a computer beginner, so perhaps it's best to reinstall OS 10.4 from the install disks under "options" then "archive and reinstall".

That option will re-install OSX but before doing so, it will archive all her previous folders, applications and settings (save the OS itself), re-install QT7.3, and then afterwards she can recall all her original folders back on top of the new system.

Naturally she will then have to use Software Update to get her back up to 10.4.11 with all the updates, etc., but she MUST remember NOT to update QT 7.3 into anything other than 7.3.1 - because, of course, Apple Update will want to update QT 7.3 into 7.4 again, which is probably how we all end up in this situation in the first place.

So when the Update to QT 7.4 option comes up, then she should make sure that's unchecked.

Also, another gotcha is that one has to run Apple Update, then install the updates, and then restart. That will then update the existing version of the OS INTO THE NEXT VERSION UP ONLY. From that version, you have to run Apple Update again, which will then know to ask for the next update in the line.

In short, you have to Update, restart, Update, restart, Update... until Update says your computer is fully up to date.

Except for Quicktime, of course. That stays at QT7.3.1 to go with OS 10.4.111.

HTH
Cheers
Chris
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks very much, Chris. I'll forward this info along to her. I'm not at all aware of how advanced her computing skills are, but I'm sure she'll be able to get the job done or have someone close by do it for her.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM   #19
Inner Circle

For doing an Archive/Install of the OS the best thing to do is go to Apple Support site and download the Combo Updater to 10.4.11.

Software Update can cause some issues with the OS by not cleanly replacing some things.

After using the Combo Updater runs software update and install the various things you need minus QT 7.4.1.

I also find that after doing something like this it's a good idea to reinstall the ProApps (Final Cut Pro, etc) because there can be QT based issues otherwise.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #20
Major Player

Go figure...

What Craig said.
My buddy did the same thing with the reader and the drivers - he used the Sony factory CD or DVD-ROM that came with the camera, reinstalled from there, and...
voila - full functionality.

My friend's ecstatic, his $4k lump of doorstop just went back to being a useful investment, he's discovering that FCP is "kinda like Vegas", and other relevations, and me...
I'm still scratching my head, sorta.

So what actually happened?
Prolly what Craig just said. Apple Update just isn't giving 100% clean installs/replacements all the time.

The same goes for the downloaded Sony stuff, apparently...

And yes, the last thing I did was to reinstall the ProApps again, so that might have had something to do with it as well.

Ah well...
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #21
New Boot

A message for people still stuck;

Hi - very useful thread as my EX1 has been practically redundant after having real issues with this. After picking up the pieces from my last attempt I went against the advice on this thread to re-instal an older QT and went for the latest of everything - and it works! Finally.

Here's what I'm running which now works;

MacBook Pro with 2Gb
OSX 10.5.2
QT 7.4.5 (25)
FCP 6.0.3 (updated from 6 using the basic update software in system preferences - though you may need to update several times)
The latest XDCam browser software from Sony.

And finally everything runs as smoothly as I thought it should have on day 1.
Ashley Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Ashley
Good deal. At least we all know that your setup works for you now. I was aware that 6.0.3 has fixed some more hiccups in the system but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the update!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds