DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   LCD Gone Down! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/118183-lcd-gone-down.html)

Vaughan Wood March 31st, 2008 02:29 AM

LCD Gone Down!

Yes folks,

During my wedding on Sunday the LCD slowly died during the day and now I only get a faint ghost of a picture. Camera at 145 hours. (December baby)!

First time since owning Sony cameras sicne the VX 2000's came out that I've lost an LCD!

Luckily I rarely use it except for replay, and as I'm in the middle of nine days filming I can't do anything about it until next week.

As I just bought my second EX last week, I must admit matching two Ex's is wonderfully easy after busting a gut matching it with an FX 7!

Cheers Vaughan!!

Alexander Kubalsky March 31st, 2008 02:51 AM

wow, First time Ive heard of that happening on the EX. Rebooting couldnt save it? Should be no problem replacing the camera, or the LCD screen atleast. Let us know how it turns out.

Keith Malone March 31st, 2008 04:14 AM

Vaughan, I'm not being smart here, but are you sure that you didn't accidently hit the LCD backlight switch to "off" on top of the camera underneath the carry handle? When this is switched to "off" it displays a "faint ghost" as you say.

Steven Thomas March 31st, 2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Malone (Post 851450)
Vaughan, I'm not being smart here, but are you sure that you didn't accidently hit the LCD backlight switch to "off" on top of the camera underneath the carry handle? When this is switched to "off" it displays a "faint ghost" as you say.

I was wondering the same thing..

Don Greening March 31st, 2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 851481)
I was wondering the same thing..

But wouldn't unknowingly hitting the backlight switch be sort of an immediate "on-off" thing? Vaughan said his LCD "slowly died during the day." But for Vaughan's sake I hope he did hit the switch by mistake.

- Don

Vaughan Wood April 1st, 2008 01:19 AM

Thanks Guys,

I checked the + and - during my wedding with no effect, but missed the small switch next to it, (wasn't carrying my glasses!!!!).

I keep knocking those little display on\off switches all the time when I'm carrying the camera, now I know something else I can knock!

Thanks again.

Vaughan

Raymond Schlogel April 1st, 2008 02:12 AM

Soo glad ta hear it, was dreading another issue!!!

Congrats on figuring it out. =)

- Ray

Don Greening April 1st, 2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel (Post 852166)
Soo glad ta hear it, was dreading another issue!!!

Congrats on figuring it out. =)

- Ray

Amen to that.

- Don

Craig Seeman April 1st, 2008 08:55 AM

BTW has anyone actually been in such a bright area that one actually found a reason to turn off the LCD backlight?

I've yet to have been in a situation where turning it off made sense.

Sean Donnelly April 1st, 2008 02:26 PM

I've been in situations where I could turn it off, but never did. I do that pretty often with the SRW-1 control panel which has the same function, but that's just a control readout, not an image display.

-Sean