Century Optics/Schneider matte box advice please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Century Optics/Schneider matte box advice please

Hi - has anyone used the Century Optics range of matte boxes now supplied by Schneider? I'm thinking of buying this one : http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1390&IID=1766 which I can use on both my Z1P with Century Optics 0.7 w/a and my EX1 with the Sony w/a. All matte boxes I've tried so far such as Chrosziel, Petroff & Cavision are unusable with the Z1P/Century w/a combination as the lens is so wide you can see the inside of the matte box. Ultimately I plan to buy the Century 0.75 w/a for the EX1 as Century make awesome glass but I may find it has the same issue. I need to be able to use the matte box with both cameras as I can't afford two matte boxes. Sadly there isn't a local dealer here with one in stock that I can go and check out - we're a bit isolated down here sometimes!
They're pretty good value for money compared to some other brands so I really just need to know if they look like they'll fall to bits within a week or will they go the distance!
Thanks for your help!

Cheers Mal
Mal Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Williams View Post
Hi - has anyone used the Century Optics range of matte boxes now supplied by Schneider? I'm thinking of buying this one : http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1390&IID=1766 which I can use on both my Z1P with Century Optics 0.7 w/a and my EX1 with the Sony w/a. All matte boxes I've tried so far such as Chrosziel, Petroff & Cavision are unusable with the Z1P/Century w/a combination as the lens is so wide you can see the inside of the matte box. Ultimately I plan to buy the Century 0.75 w/a for the EX1 as Century make awesome glass but I may find it has the same issue. I need to be able to use the matte box with both cameras as I can't afford two matte boxes. Sadly there isn't a local dealer here with one in stock that I can go and check out - we're a bit isolated down here sometimes!
They're pretty good value for money compared to some other brands so I really just need to know if they look like they'll fall to bits within a week or will they go the distance!
Thanks for your help!

Cheers Mal
Mal,

All of our Matte Boxes that we distribute for Vocas are designed to work with our wide angle lenses.

The .7x for the Z1P and the .75x for the EX1 both have a 105mm outside diameter which any Matte Box you buy from us will clamp directly on to it. To fit the Matte Box directly onto the camera, you need to buy a 105mm clamp-on to 72mm (and later 77mm) screw-in ring.

We offer the following kit below which comes with the 72mm ring and the Matte Box:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1390&IID=6309

The 105mm to 77mm ring you need when you buy your EX1 will be available from Vocas in couple weeks.

We also offer the following kit which comes with the rail support system which will clamp onto your .7x or .75x attachments but it doesn't come with the 72mm ring for mounting direct to the camera without the rail system:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1390&IID=2065

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I did not want to ask this question in any other thread but thought it might be fitting in this one. Is there a reason that the matte boxes on the market are so expensive?

I looked at this one that you are talking about and the Chrosziel on b&h and am trying to figure out why they are so over priced. Besides reducing lens flare and holding filters, is there any other significant purpose it serves that makes it so darn expensive?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
I did not want to ask this question in any other thread but thought it might be fitting in this one. Is there a reason that the matte boxes on the market are so expensive?

I looked at this one that you are talking about and the Chrosziel on b&h and am trying to figure out why they are so over priced. Besides reducing lens flare and holding filters, is there any other significant purpose it serves that makes it so darn expensive?
Yeah, they hate us! Years ago I wanted a fiberglass darkroom sink. It was gray and beautiful but it cost $375.00. I later found the identical sink except for color (white) at a plumbing supply store. This "laundry" sink cost me $58.00. These vendors must think we are ALL as crazy as they are. I have been in manufacturing and I know what it costs to produce a simple product (mattbox). There is no justification.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Personally, I am waiting for Redrock to release their matte box, shortly after NAB. I have used a Vocas before and returned it. Vocas, Pertroff , Chrosziel, are way overpriced. The Redrock unit most closely resembles the Arri box, with a swing away feature. This unit, with the proper rail system, should be able to be used on multiple cameras.
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Watch out on Vocas! Make sure you see a picture of it fitting the EX1. I was told by Zacuto that it will NOT fit and bought the Chrosziel instead - and it just barily fits. Also, the filters must be put in upside down. Check to make sure you can close the lcd!

Also, with any wide angle attachment, you will need a 6x6 mattebox as the 4x4 just works with the EX1 without any wide angle lenses.

Make sure you know and see that it works before you buy!
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Major Player

http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=27

This is how much a mattebox should cost and no more.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky View Post
Watch out on Vocas! Make sure you see a picture of it fitting the EX1. I was told by Zacuto that it will NOT fit and bought the Chrosziel instead - and it just barily fits. Also, the filters must be put in upside down. Check to make sure you can close the lcd!

Also, with any wide angle attachment, you will need a 6x6 mattebox as the 4x4 just works with the EX1 without any wide angle lenses.

Make sure you know and see that it works before you buy!
Our Vocas version does fit the EX1 but you have to remove the filters from the bottom because the microphone gets in the way. I cannot speak for all Vocas models because we only import the 4X4 size.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post

I have the Chrosziel and have been quite pleased with it. It does what it should and is very nicely made. You are correct that all it does is shade the lens, hold fiters (and allows the 4x4 to rotate). Oh, and it fits on our camera, although not without some specific placement choices.

In our mass production world where you can buy 4 iphones for the same amount, it is a bit startling, but at least it works wonderfully for the unarguably high price.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds