Macro Hints at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Macro Hints

I have been using the macro but do feel I'm really using it right. I'm never sure at what distances it works. There seems to be a large distance between where regular focus ends and macro begins. I'm never sure at what zoom I should be and I find focusing with either MF or AF difficult.

Can someone give a short macro primer.

Thanks
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I find that you have to put the lens into manual focus mode, but not "full manual", that is, not by pulling the focus wheel back so it clicks and you engage the lens elements physically. Then, with macro mode on, I basically focus the lens as close as it will go, compose the frame, and move the camera back and forth a bit while adjusting the zoom slightly to see where the sweet spot is between subject distance and focus. In my experience it has not been a precise process if thats what you're looking for but I haven't used it for anything other than experimenting.
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That seems like good advice Akira.

Michael, might want to ask this guy too.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117787
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Major Player

In my use I keep the focal length not longer than 25mm. Works fine for all shorter focal lengths.

Last edited by Serena Steuart; April 1st, 2008 at 02:55 AM.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

25mm and under seems to be ideal, 40mm is about the top end of any useful macro. Beyond that you're out to the minimum set by the stop in full manual (2.7 feet).

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Zoom out to full wide, remove the lens hood and provide plenty of light. Now how close can you focus? Right up to the front element, or within a centimeter or two?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds