DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/118266-firmware.html)

Michael H. Stevens March 31st, 2008 10:52 PM

Firmware

My camera only recently bought from B&H was number 133 when they said they were selling in the 1000+ range and came with the original firmware. As there have been successive new versions how do I get them?

Don Greening April 1st, 2008 12:29 AM

As far as I know the FW update can only be done at a Sony repair facility.

- Don

Michael Mann April 1st, 2008 01:08 AM

Same info from Sony technicians from Germany and the UK.

Michael H. Stevens April 1st, 2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Greening (Post 852148)
As far as I know the FW update can only be done at a Sony repair facility.

- Don

This is so, but should I get it done? What does it do the newer versions?

Dennis Joseph April 1st, 2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens (Post 852111)
My camera only recently bought from B&H was number 133 when they said they were selling in the 1000+ range and came with the original firmware. As there have been successive new versions how do I get them?

That's very odd. I purchased mine about 2 weeks ago from Abel and my s/n is the latest I have seen from anyone on the boards at 4700. My FW is also the latest- V 1.05.

Should'nt you be getting a higher s/n?

Don Greening April 1st, 2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens (Post 852369)
This is so, but should I get it done? What does it do the newer versions?

Only if your camera has issues, otherwise "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I have no idea of the differences between FW versions, but when I take my camera in to Sony repair next week I'm certainly going to ask if the FW updates are to address current issues or were they always part of some previously scheduled grand plan.

- Don

Sean Donnelly April 1st, 2008 01:19 PM

Does anyone else think it's a little ridiculous to have to send in our cameras for a firmware update? I personally would like to stay on top of these sorts of things, but I don't want to give up my camera for 7-10 business days for a firmware update. Panasonic does it, JVC does it, why not Sony?

-Sean

Mathieu Ghekiere April 1st, 2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 852514)
Does anyone else think it's a little ridiculous to have to send in our cameras for a firmware update? I personally would like to stay on top of these sorts of things, but I don't want to give up my camera for 7-10 business days for a firmware update. Panasonic does it, JVC does it, why not Sony?

-Sean

I think it's strange, and I'm really curious to what Sony's reason is for doing this... If the firmwares are only bug fixes for certain camera's and not extra features, then of course it's less interesting.

Phil Bloom April 1st, 2008 03:40 PM

that's odd. I heard firmware was going to be updated by users using a program that downloads with the firmware. You connect the USB cable to the computer and the program updates the firmware.

Heard this from senior source at Sony.

Don Greening April 1st, 2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 852591)
that's odd. I heard firmware was going to be updated by users using a program that downloads with the firmware. You connect the USB cable to the computer and the program updates the firmware.

Heard this from senior source at Sony.

Since I'm betting that Phil has bent the ear of more Sony people than most of us, I'm thinking that this procedure will become the standard way Sony gets FW updates to the masses. It also sounds like the most logical way to do it.

- Don

Sean Donnelly April 1st, 2008 04:36 PM

I just posed the question to a sony rep, and they said at present you need a jig to do a firmware update, as if perhaps it needs to do a back focus adjustment...

-Sean

Bill Ravens April 1st, 2008 06:11 PM

I think Phil's confused with XDCAM HD, which just issued an update