White Balance and Black Level Adjustments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM   #1
New Boot

White Balance and Black Level Adjustments

I was talking to a friend that is in televison and he was telling me each time they set up a white balance that thier cameras have a switch for the black levels also.

Is it fesable on the ex1 to adjust the black levels on each shoot, if so by how much?

Last edited by Dustin Gray; April 3rd, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: cant spell
Dustin Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Major Player

This may be a good place to start

HOW TO: Manually White/Black Balance with a Vectorscope by Art Adams on PVC.

The title actually mentions the use of a Paintbox, but you use the camera matrix controls for that (Picture Profiles).

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; April 4th, 2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Oops... wrong credit! Corrected.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Major Player

The black balance is not something that is carried out every day as a general rule. Presumably the PP settings will ensure correct black balance on the EX1 depending on the one selected.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #4

yes, the BLACK level can be adjusted in PP. Whether it's wise to do so, without a waveform monitor, is another matter, entirely.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Gray View Post
I was talking to a friend that is in televison and he was telling me each time they set up a white balance that thier cameras have a switch for the black levels also.

Is it fesable on the ex1 to adjust the black levels on each shoot, if so by how much?
Black level, the point considered true black does not directly relate to white balancing which is a color adjustment to take account of the temperature of the light. The black level on the EX1 (not the black gamma) needs be set for every changed lighting condition while white balance may stay the same.

Having now put the EX1 to good use I can tell you it is absolutely necessary to set the black point for every shot for the best results. The histogram works fine for this. Read up on what Randy has written on how to do this with the histogram. It was Randy who put me onto this and it is the best piece of advice I have been given here.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
New Boot

Randy Link

Could you please give the link for the Randy article?
Paul Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Having now put the EX1 to good use I can tell you it is absolutely necessary to set the black point for every shot for the best results. The histogram works fine for this. Read up on what Randy has written on how to do this with the histogram. It was Randy who put me onto this and it is the best piece of advice I have been given here.
Hi thanks for the info everyone, can someone direct me to Randys info on the histogram, thanks.
Dustin Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Black Balance is different to Black Point. Black Balance is where the black or dark output level of the 3 sensors (CCD's or CMOS) is matched by adjusting the pre-amp gain or off-set. The Black Point is an adjustment that takes the combined output of the 3 sensors and allows an offset to be applied that raises or lowers the combined dark signal level.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds