Orangie Reds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Orangie Reds

Why am I getting Reds that are too Orange? I am white balancing and using picture profiles from this list. The only way I get a red jacket that is cherry red to look right is to color correct for this color. Then my oranges look pink. When I bring up the color bars the red color bar looks orange. Any ideas?

Don Deignan
Don Deignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It sounds like an image processing function, but PP settings should only affect the image, not color bars. Have you changed anything in the maintenance menu? If not, I'd suggest trying a full reset of the camera and see if it persists.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have found that some RED can blow out and plum becoming orange or pink - especially in the HI SAT settings. I have switched to subtle cine color settings and will add saturation back in post rather than blowing it out while shooting. Also, like the RED camera, the EX1 is capturing IR that can overexpose the REDs -especially at sunset. So you might want to get an IR filter too... see other threads and RED for the IR problem.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Major Player

I've found that reds are the achillies heel for cmos imagers. It is very difficult to get accurate reds - for whatever reason. I don't believe it just applies to the EX either. I've done a few comparisons between ccd and cmos and this is one of the more obvious differences.

Some times you can correct afterwards but sometimes it's pretty difficult. It's a situation by situation call

cheers
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Don, can you post a still or two? Perhaps even a still of a scene and one of the color bars showing the problem. That would help a lot in finding a cause. The fact that the bars look too orange makes me think this isn't purely the IR problem we've seen.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Also, please post a grab of the color bars - it's easy to figure out if red is red from a digital file.

It's very curious that the color bars look wrong.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #7
New Boot

Orangie Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Don, can you post a still or two? Perhaps even a still of a scene and one of the color bars showing the problem. That would help a lot in finding a cause. The fact that the bars look too orange makes me think this isn't purely the IR problem we've seen.

-Sean
I am beginning to think that my problem is more with my cam monitor. My reds look alot better when I show them on my Sony LCD and even my viewfinder shows better reds.

Don
Don Deignan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds