Advise on Return at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Advise on Return

So, I just received my Second EX1 after returning the first one to B&H for backfocus problems....the second...has the issue again....should I return to B&H or ship to Sony....I just called the service center to ask them some questions....and needless to say....they make me a little nervous....it doesn't seem like an official operation....more like someone working out of their basement.
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would agree with this, the service center in San Jose, while helpful, does not seem like its run by a company that really cares about professionalism. I am the guinea pig tester so to speak for my entire company and will determine whether or not we go with EX1's in the near future (we are looking to upgrade to better cameras than the Z1U) or other solid-state offerings like the Panasonic or anything new they come out with, and I have to say I have not been crazy about quality control and, as of late, customer service.
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Trustee

It's your call on this one. Like myself, you're on your second camera.
If you really want the camera, try once more with your dealer, or return it to Sony to have them upgrade the sofware to v1.05 and perform the BF adjustment. Having said that, you may already be at 1.05.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #4
New Boot

Return To Dealer

Just called B&H and they have agreed to exchange the camera again and pay shipping....so I am going with them...the camera I just got was a lower serial number than the first one I sent back....both with FW 1.03.....I asked BH if they would send me one with a higher serial number....I am crossing my fingers....if this doesn't work....anyone want to buy a slightly used 16gb card and a BPU60 battery.....:(
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Sorry to hear this Ryan.

If it doesn't work out, you may want to wait until Sony delivers cameras that do not have issues. I believe it's possible based on a few who have posted here. I'm on my second camera and plan on having it looked at by Sony for the 1.05 upgrade / BF adjustment and a closer look at horrible CA when focusing near infinity on the tele end
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sony service in Teaneck NJ is IMO superb. I've sent 2 cameras to them in a 6 month period and have had nothing but absloute great and FAST service.

Just a thought.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can you tell us your serial numbers?
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Major Player

What IS the warranty on this camera?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

B&H has exellent customer service. I've mailed them once for information about something, technical question, without any sign of wanting to buy from them (I live in Belgium, it isn't always as handy) and I got a very detailed email back with an answer to my question.
That's customer service.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #10
New Boot

Serial #

The first camera I had had serial number 2575.....the second one 875....and as far as shipping to Sony....has anyone gotten them to give you a shipping label or anything like that.....I guess the most annoying part is that they want me to pay to ship these things to them when the camera had an inherent problem....frustrating.
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds