DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   If I understand this correctly, I can't edit HQ EX1 footage in FCP 5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119066-if-i-understand-correctly-i-cant-edit-hq-ex1-footage-fcp-5-a.html)

Akira Hakuta April 10th, 2008 02:48 PM

If I understand this correctly, I can't edit HQ EX1 footage in FCP 5?

Currently we are using Final Cut Pro 5 on all our video editing stations. If I understand this correctly, I can't edit footage shot in HQ mode in FCP 5 because we don't have the XDCAM Plugin for Final Pro, which as I understand it only comes with FCP 6? Is this accurate?

Don Greening April 10th, 2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira Hakuta (Post 857845)
Is this accurate?

Yes it is. You need FCP v.6.0.2, QT v.7.3.1 and Mac OS v.10.4.11 for it all to work. These are the minimum requirements to transfer and edit XDCAM EX footage on a Mac. You can use a PowerPC or an Intel machine. It doesn't matter which, other than the fact that the Sony Clip Browser software is Intel only. The important Sony Transfer Tool Software is cross platform, which is what you need to transfer the EX clips from the SxS Pro Memory card to the Mac.

- Don

David Hadden April 12th, 2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Greening (Post 857911)
Yes it is. You need FCP v.6.0.2, QT v.7.3.1 and Mac OS v.10.4.11 for it all to work. These are the minimum requirements to transfer and edit XDCAM EX footage on a Mac. You can use a PowerPC or an Intel machine. It doesn't matter which, other than the fact that the Sony Clip Browser software is Intel only. The important Sony Transfer Tool Software is cross platform, which is what you need to transfer the EX clips from the SxS Pro Memory card to the Mac.

- Don

It's the mac mantra, upgrade. :)

ok, ok, I'm not gonna flame this up, and I've got nothing against OSX (pronounced OS Ten, not OS EX... or so i was informed the other day, so don't make this mistake around someone who's a true diehard) I just had to make a funny :)

Chris Leong April 12th, 2008 02:50 PM

Akira
All you need is one.
You have one Mac with FCP 6.0.2 in it, ingest into FCP and use Media Manager to convert your clips into ProRes, AIC, or another format that the earler FCPs can see.
Then move the clips over into your other (older) machines.
I currently have two modern and four older machines.
I keep one modern machine for log and ingest and the other (with Kona card, etc) for render mastering, tape outputs and other deliverables (and to show off to the producer/clients).

FYI most of my VFX stuff gets bounced out of Mac into PC for Boujou, Matchmover Pro, Maya/Lightwave and Adobe SC3 on two high end (but lower priced) PCs. I'm building a skulltrail PC machine right now for VFX too.
Then back into the (older) G5s for editing. And some of them are even Avids, not FCPs. All the Macs are Qmastered together, all the PCs are Lightwave Renderfarmed together.
File transfers are handled with a simple Ethernet router system and backups are 1TB NAS drives.

Cheers
Chris

Evan C. King April 12th, 2008 03:40 PM

Also fcp 6.0.3 has hit which seems to add full support, but I haven't got a chance to test it yet.