First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
i was told £1500 more than EX1...
Why is it even one penny (or pence) more than the ex1?

It has a shoulder mount and now you can remove the fujinon lens that was once permanently affixed. Am I missing some other monumental changes to the EX3?

I do NOT think this camera will be embraced by indie filmmakers. To really do this Sony would have to launch a cam with a full sized CMOS chip (35mm) at a price point under 10k. (and this should be very doable considering the new 35mmCMOS chips being produced for DSLRs) Otherwise there are just too many other better options at the moment. The EX3 will NOT capture their attention any more than a slew of other cameras.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #182
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
I think the true value of the EX3 will come into play when someone comes out with a 35mm adaptor that mounts directly to the body. With the stock lens out of the way I imagine the 35mm lens images would be even better wouldnt they?
This is the feature that could persuade. And there was a large number of people who bought the EX-1 that would have wanted this feature.

However NOW a large number of those people have instead invested in the EX-1 trying to get them to cough up a second time may be hard especially if the same picture quality is to be had from an adapter. As for pro use I cant see most pros would care that much for this feature especially when the new full size XDCAMS come online. Even if the EX-3 is more aestheticly pleasing. There is a limit to peoples finances. In fact many who waited or thinking of buying now and in this camp may still plump for the EX-1 Because of price weight size and popularity. I think there will be some who may see the marketing strategy as a little unfair in its tactics.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #183
Regular Crew

Thank you for your review Phil. Did you see any buffering of video in the camera? I use DR60 with buffer a lot. That unit have saved me a lot of tapes since it came on the marked. And I cant use it on EX3. Or perhaps it can be used on the EX3 in HDV mode? Have you heard if the new recorder have a buffer recording?

/Arnt
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #184
Regular Crew

Thanks for the review Phil - it was good to see the offical one ;)

I am interested in buying one (and selling my EX1) solely for the viewfinder.

I travel alot in my work and I am interested in the weight of the cam and how big a bag it will need! I like to travel with my cams in backpack (helps on long walks) but they have to be allowed on a plane.

I am assuming it has the same bayonet mount at the frount so will take the upcoming 1.6x extender from Schiender. That is until I can afford and replacement long lens - any recommendations?
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #185
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
With the stock lens out of the way I imagine the 35mm lens images would be even better wouldnt they?
In as much as Philip Bloom thinks we are birds-of-a-feather look-a-likes (at Vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/879872#top), and heaven knows his vision is not too shabby, but he might be right, I seriously doubt it as from my perspective you are unique, like everyone around there, and here. In any event the question that niggles is if the 35mm lens delivers a better picture, so to speak, then why on earth didn’t Sony put one on the front of the EX1 in the first place, instead of this Fujinon piece of, seemingly, crap. This I don’t understand. I mean, why not build the (Letus Extreme for instance) 35 mm adapter into the camera with a 35 mm coupling device on the front…and Bob’s your Uncle…choose your weapons.

Why not!

Is it perhaps that the Fujinon delivers a ‘better picture’, for most people who buy this camera?

And you, dear gently-outrageous 35 mm adaptor unnatural art freaks, are in-organic invaders from another planet!

Keep up the good work while you’re at it.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #186
Major Player

Phill,

Maybe the US price is inflated by the weak dollar. But the US list price is $13,000 which is $5,000 more than the EX1. I see it listed in the UK for 5,900 pounds which a 2,000 pounds premium over the EX1.

I still think that is a lot of money for something made out of plastic.

I really like these cams but not when they start to fall in the pricerange of 2/3" professional cameras. But hey, let's wait for the RED announcement and see the whole industry being flabbergasted by some guys from Texas. Fun.

I think the EX3 is an improvement but the price is enormous.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #187
Major Player

The cost of the "film look" is now about the cost of an Arriflex - I'm about to break out my old Cannon Super 8 - now that's what I call organic!

I somehow feel peeved, or is it jelous, no, I know what it is, it's dull.

That's enough Sony hype for now, thanks.

Paul
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #188
Major Player

Great review Phil very well done with the presenting! Perhaps your talents are in front of the camera too.

Even less keen on the viewfinder now I realize its fixed.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #189
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
Phill,

Maybe the US price is inflated by the weak dollar. But the US list price is $13,000 which is $5,000 more than the EX1. I
Not sure if the actual price has been officially revealed yet!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #190
Major Player

Guys, Adam Wilt put up the first pictures of the Sony booth at NAB on PVC with some EX3 configurations and general info.

Floris, it's not just 'plastic'. The sensor block and the encoder/recorder may be the same but the electronics should be quite different. There are other outs as well as other controls, so not just a cosmetic fixup. That is even ignoring the the lensmount and lens controls.

As for pricing; 'street' is about 20% below list for the EX1 in the US. That should hold true for the EX3 too. But whatever the price in the US, I hope we'll get a good deal in Europe ;)

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #191
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
Thanks for the review Phil - it was good to see the offical one ;)

I am interested in buying one (and selling my EX1) solely for the viewfinder.

I travel alot in my work and I am interested in the weight of the cam and how big a bag it will need! I like to travel with my cams in backpack (helps on long walks) but they have to be allowed on a plane.

I am assuming it has the same bayonet mount at the frount so will take the upcoming 1.6x extender from Schiender. That is until I can afford and replacement long lens - any recommendations?
the weight is similar to the ex1...you asking recommendations for new lenses? i wouldn't get the exteneder, a lot of money. you can get some v nice 1/2" sd glass that looks pretty much the same as some of the hd stuff out there for about £2500...
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #192
Major Player

Adam Wilts photos show the EX3 with a 2/3rds lens. It will be interesting to see what other adaptors appear. However because it's a prism block camera 35mm still lenses probably won't work directly, or at least not provide ideal results. DigiPrimes would work though, it would be great to see some stills from one of those on the EX3.

One thing no one else has mentioned is a remote control port. There's a photo of an external remote control unit as well on Adams blog. This is quite interesting. Does anyone have any other info about it? It seems to have a screen on it. I wonder what the remote output actually provides.

An EX3 with a portable HDSDI recorder and some decent fast lenses could be an interesting solution for some.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #193
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
the weight is similar to the ex1...you asking recommendations for new lenses? i wouldn't get the exteneder, a lot of money. you can get some v nice 1/2" sd glass that looks pretty much the same as some of the hd stuff out there for about £2500...
Phil do you think that if I use my Canon SD lens (18x with extender) that I currently use with my DVCAM DSR 300 (1/2 inch lens) would produce very good results even though this lens was made for SD and for 4:3 format? The lens alone costed me more that the price of the EX1. Or is it better to stick to the Fujinon stock HD lens? Who will produce the better result?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #194
Regular Crew

Paul, I've made several posts about the remote port as well. In Adam Wilt's photos he shows an RMB-750 and says it is "one of the remote panels that works with this camera". VERY exciting to me. An EX3 with an SRW-1, and I'll no longer have to fight with the iconix cameras...
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #195
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Phil do you think that if I use my Canon SD lens (18x with extender) that I currently use with my DVCAM DSR 300 (1/2 inch lens) would produce very good results even though this lens was made for SD and for 4:3 format? The lens alone costed me more that the price of the EX1. Or is it better to stick to the Fujinon stock HD lens? Who will produce the better result?
the stock fujinon lens is superb, and it works with all the auto features...it is just not very long. That lens may well work very well to be honest. Let me check and get back to you...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds