First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #301
Trustee

I have heard no news about the release date slipping in the UK, but then again the EX1 was a bit late.

The EX3 I reviewed was pretty complete apart from a new SxS door needed to be fitted, something more sturdy. All the camera features were there so it looks like it shouldn't be that long.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #302
Inner Circle

I have one on order. Delivery promised as being July some time.
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #303
Trustee

I have finally bought an EX3 and I have done a follow up review.

You can read it here and see my test short film

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Production EX3 Review/ Windsor Waltz
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #304
Regular Crew

Flip Module Redundant?

So, seeing as the EX3 has the "Flip LCD Image" function do you think Letus will release a version of the ultimate or extreme without the Flip Prism Module? It would save space, weight and money.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #305
Trustee

No chance Alex

It only flips in LCD doesnt record so lots of rendering to flip image in post, so it would be like going back to the bad old days!
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #306
Major Player

Phil - now that you have had the chance to exchange the Fuijinon with a "real" pro Canon lens. What are your conclusions on optical quality on the Fuijinon? Apart from the benefits of the extra zoom range on the Canon - how much sharper is the actual image?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #307
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
No chance Alex

It only flips in LCD doesnt record so lots of rendering to flip image in post, so it would be like going back to the bad old days!
The nanoflash and XDRflash recorders apparently will flip prior to recording. Should be an excellent option when they arrive.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #308
Major Player

another good ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
The nanoflash and XDRflash recorders apparently will flip prior to recording. Should be an excellent option when they arrive.
another good reason to go Nanno!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #309
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Phil - now that you have had the chance to exchange the Fuijinon with a "real" pro Canon lens. What are your conclusions on optical quality on the Fuijinon? Apart from the benefits of the extra zoom range on the Canon - how much sharper is the actual image?
the stock lens really is a superb lens, almost no breathing. its is made for the camera so really works incredibly well with it
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #310
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
As I am buying the NanoFlash, it's a very interesting idea to me as well - even though I only have the EX1, so no flip on the LCD. However, as I'm planing to buy a good external monitor (possibly with the flip functionality), I believe I'd be good to go with this rig - right?

If so, is there a way to strip the Letus Extreme off the flip module, thus making it more compact and lighter - or am I dreaming? Or, perhaps Letus will be offering a compact version (i.e. without flip) for those (mainly EX3) users who also use the Nano/XDR units...

Speaking of Letus, they have recently come up with this upgrade module for the Extreme:

Letus35 Elite Upgrade Module*::*Letus Accessories*::*LetusDirect

Anyone uses it? Is it worth the price? (sorry for being off topic here).
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #311
Major Player

The "Elite" is just for those who change lenses frequently and need the quick backfocus adjustment; then it's a timesaver.

George/

B.T.W. Are you coming to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks for IBC?
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #312
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
As I am buying the NanoFlash, it's a very interesting idea to me as well - even though I only have the EX1, so no flip on the LCD. However, as I'm planing to buy a good external monitor (possibly with the flip functionality), I believe I'd be good to go with this rig - right?

If so, is there a way to strip the Letus Extreme off the flip module, thus making it more compact and lighter - or am I dreaming? Or, perhaps Letus will be offering a compact version (i.e. without flip) for those (mainly EX3) users who also use the Nano/XDR units...

Speaking of Letus, they have recently come up with this upgrade module for the Extreme:

Letus35 Elite Upgrade Module*::*Letus Accessories*::*LetusDirect

Anyone uses it? Is it worth the price? (sorry for being off topic here).
worth it, fixes the nightmare that is backfocus fixing on the extreme.

You need the flip as it provides the distance needed between the lens and the GG. Seriously the flip is essential, as someone who used to flip images on his m2 all the time its a 'mare. The nano flash is a nice idea but if we are keeping things compact then adding a separate recording device instead of the letus flip makes no sense.
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #313
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
The "Elite" is just for those who change lenses frequently and need the quick backfocus adjustment; then it's a timesaver.

George/

kind of, the elite, or just the fix really is essential as the backfocus if you have ever tried to, is such a nightmare to fix if it goes out.

Yep coming on the Saturday, I will be part of the Apple Supermeet for Red Giant Software then going home Monday afternoon. If anyone is around and wants to buy me a drink and more than keen, never turn down a free drink me
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #314
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post

George/

George, - I don't change lenses frequently (and all of them use the same mount), and yet I just HAVE to repeat the back focus adjustment on my Extreme pretty often, which - as Phil just said - can be a nightmare. Additionally, pulling/pushing those 3 GG's stands often leaves me with increased noise/vibration, and/or uneven edge-to-edge sharpness due to the GG not being parallel to the "film plane"...So, if I could perform a very precise GG adjustment with the minimum resulting vibration and best possible flatness in mind, rather than a proper back focus (which could be fine-tuned later with the Elite upgrade), I guess it would be a great improvement.
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #315
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
The nano flash is a nice idea but if we are keeping things compact then adding a separate recording device instead of the letus flip makes no sense.
But if one is into the CD Flash for all different reasons (50/100 Mbps, 4:2:2), then the added bonus of flipping the image could be taken advantage of...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds