First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #196
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Adam Wilts photos show the EX3 with a 2/3rds lens. It will be interesting to see what other adaptors appear. However because it's a prism block camera 35mm still lenses probably won't work directly, or at least not provide ideal results. DigiPrimes would work though, it would be great to see some stills from one of those on the EX3.

One thing no one else has mentioned is a remote control port. There's a photo of an external remote control unit as well on Adams blog. This is quite interesting. Does anyone have any other info about it? It seems to have a screen on it. I wonder what the remote output actually provides.

An EX3 with a portable HDSDI recorder and some decent fast lenses could be an interesting solution for some.

cheers
paul
Sony will also have an adpator to let you mount their 35mm digital SLR lenses onto the ex3, a bit pointless due to the large magnification factor that will happen with them. I did say to them why bother!!?
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #197
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Sony will also have an adpator to let you mount their 35mm digital SLR lenses onto the ex3, a bit pointless due to the large magnification factor that will happen with them. I did say to them why bother!!?
Canon did that when they introduced the XL1. It ended up being mostly useless. But for those people wanting longer lenses, it will be a good low-priced option.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #198
Major Player

Sean, i didn't see that. But im with you on that one.

a cmount adaptor would be amusing too. afterall they're about the right image circle coverage and there are some nice lenses out there (might look a little odd sizewise on this camera though). Plus also same deal with the prism block. Would be interesting to experiment though.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #199
Major Player

Phil, why are you awake and blogging at 5:30AM? I would expect you to still be cuddling up to some Vegas dancer, or coming off a 10 hour stint at the poker tables.

Sheesh!
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #200
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn View Post
I don't think it's worth every penny of 13k especially when you can get a HPX500 for $9500 at B+H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Mounted.html

That shoulder mount must be really, really good.
Yes, but you are neglecting the fact that the HPX500 is body only - no lens.

A business partner of mine has the EX1 and I have used it fairly extensively so far, and it really is an amazing camera for the price. Now the EX3 has everything I pretty much wanted in a camera, but yes, if it is 13k, then it isn't so tempting to me now.

I love the Canon XL series, and may have to relook at the H1s or a used H1 if this is the case. Just wished they'd make the viewfinder as crisp as the Sony'
s ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #201
Regular Crew

I was looking at:

Canon KH20x6.4 KRS - 128mm at the long end and Canon do a 1.5 extender for it.

anyone have any comments on this lens?
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #202
Trustee

Yes, its awful.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #203
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Yes, its awful.
thanks! Excellent response.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #204
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Yes, its awful.
Don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #205
Inner Circle

Firmware (firm where?) anyone

Is there any reports at all about firmware changes or maybe there are none. With all the past comments from Sony to hear nothing is surprising to me. Maybe there are no announcements, maybe there's been some quiet changes, maybe no changes at all.

We had a loooong list. Has or will anyone ask these questions to Sony. I, for one, was really wishing for a cache record buffer. This may well be something that could be part of the hard drive record feature at least.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #206
Major Player

To those of you who have had some sony contact:

Has anything been mentioned about some add on Fujinon for EX lenses? Specifically, any long options? If no, can someone suggest a great long lens for sport or nature use that is a reasonable match for the quality of this cam?

I am very satisfied with my EX1 and although I can appreciate the value in features like better shoulder ergonomics, genlock, timecode, remote, a better EVF, those are features that I will never use, and would prefer not to have.

BUT, I would love interchangeable lens capability, and adjustable frame rate on body. In truth, I would have greatly prefered an "EX-0", the EX-1, stripped of integrated mic, offered with interchangeable lens setup, and with the 50 cent port covers replaced with bomber weather resistant covers.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #207
Major Player

From all the folks that are going to the show and will be in contact with the folks over at Sony. Will someone please ask about any firmware updates and when they are thinking of releasing them. Also, will we be able to update them ourselves or ship them for update?

Thanks
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #208
Regular Crew

I have to try again:
Thank you for your review Phil. Did you see any buffering of video in the camera? I use DR60 with buffer a lot. That unit have saved me a lot of tapes since it came on the marked. And I cant use it on EX3. Or perhaps it can be used on the EX3 in HDV mode? Have you heard if the new recorder have a buffer recording?

/Arnt
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #209
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Phil, why are you awake and blogging at 5:30AM? I would expect you to still be cuddling up to some Vegas dancer, or coming off a 10 hour stint at the poker tables.

Sheesh!
The Vegas Dancer was very understanding when i told her than I need to quickly replied to a couple of posts. I am dedicated to you guys. I explained to her about the review and the EX3. She asked if it was still 4:2:0 and if they had fixed the rolling shutter. Sheesh!!
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #210
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
From all the folks that are going to the show and will be in contact with the folks over at Sony. Will someone please ask about any firmware updates and when they are thinking of releasing them. Also, will we be able to update them ourselves or ship them for update?

Thanks
You will be able to update yourself through the USB connection of your computer. There were a couple of things they needed to work on so I think it has been delayed about 3 months.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds