Letus Ultimate - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Major Player

It's like shooting a movie screen

Dennis,

It's like taking your camcorder to the movie theater and perfectly framing up the screen. Any camcorder, when shooting a film at the movie theater, will be able to capture the image "perfectly" with the original depth of field of the 35mm motion picture camera (used to shoot the movie) intact.

A 35mm adapter creates an image in front of the lens that is "rephotographed" by the video camera. As long as your camera can photograph that image, it will look fine.

There is a groundglass in there which is essentially a rear screen for projection of the image that is rephotographed.

In practice, 35mm adapters have some tricks to allow camcorders to photograph such a small object at a 35mm groundglass uniformly in focus. But in theory, the above paragraph is how it works.

Also, the groundglass inside the adapter moves quickly (spins or vibrates) to prevent your camera from seeing the granularity of the groundglass.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
In my review I clearly state the EX1 is still an amazing camera and I will continue to use it for many years I am sure.
Sure thing, Phil, it *IS* amazing. Just like my old, good V1E has been.

However, you seem to be forgetting that you have been one of the very few to get the EX1 (two of them, actually) that don't exhibit any of the flaws that - while the other adopters were using their time, money and patience to come to terms with - have in the meantime been *SILENTLY* addressed by Sony, preparing the EX3.

And this is the *ONLY* thing that causes my frustration; other than that I know better than complain that mine is not the "best camera" under the Sun.

So maybe it sounds silly to you, because - as you have stated - you are *JUST* going to sell one of your *AMAZING* EX1's and buy the EX3; it's an issue to me, though.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Trustee

one of my ex1s does exhibit minor vignetting in certain conditions but I have never sent it in to be fixed as it was so minor and you had to do certain things to make it happen.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Here are some pics with Ian and Quen teaming up with Philip Bloom and Steve from Zacuto @ NAB today with the new Letus Ultimate with back focus adjustment. Same form factor as the Letus Extreme, Philip was very impressed with the new adapter, and has already shot some items with it. To be posted by Philip.

I was impressed with the back focus adjustment, very nice feature you just unscrew 2 screws and turn to get the back focus adjusted, very smooth.

The Ultimate was set up on a HVX 200 and the image it produced was very very SHARP. Philip will report further on his experience with the EX1. At the moment there was not a EX1 to mount it on. Philip has used it on the EX1 with outstanding results.

The unit it self uses the same housing as the Extreme, except for the backfocus adjustment, it looks much the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Letus Ultimate-img_9173.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9181.jpg  

Letus Ultimate-img_9188.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9192.jpg  

Letus Ultimate-img_9205.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9210.jpg  

Letus Ultimate-img_9211.jpg   Letus Ultimate-_mg_9148.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Cahill; April 14th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Steve Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #20
Major Player

More Pics. Philip and Ian meet Mr. Barry Green
Attached Thumbnails
Letus Ultimate-img_9212.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9216.jpg  

Letus Ultimate-img_9218.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9222.jpg  

Letus Ultimate-img_9223.jpg   Letus Ultimate-img_9228.jpg  

Old April 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #21
Trustee

Met loads of people i know from forums etc including Steve today. Highlight of NAB for me!
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Dennis, if my explanation wasn't clear enough, I think Eric's was. If his wasn't, please let us know and I'd be happy to break it down farther.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Letus at Zacuto...

Saw the ultimate at the Zacuto booth today...what's the ETA on being able to purchase one of those bad boys?

Phil, you still headed to Red Rock during your stay?
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #24
Trustee

Hi Nathaniel,

I was loathed to give up the Ultimate today, I am grabbing it back on Wednesday to get some shots of the city. I went to Redrock with Hien and the Ultimate on Saturday. Footage looks great.

You should come along if you are free

Phil
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Would love to Phil, keep me posted on when you're thinking of going - If it's in the morning, pretty much any time before 2pm, I'm available. My afternoons are booked up.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #26
Trustee

sorry it's definitely the afternoon and evening. Need the transition from bright sun to bright lights of the city
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #27
Regular Crew

No worries, I figured as much - Vegas at dusk is a lot more interesting than Vegas at noon :) When do you leave town? If you want some grittier (is that a word?) looking stuff, you might try near Fremont street - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Street_Experience - sorry for hijacking this thread guys lol, but "dusk" here is probably from 6-8, so I would love to meet up with you Phil around 7 somewhere. you did fly across the pond, the least I could do is drive 20 minutes to down town.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #28
Trustee

yeah was there last night but security is high and you need a $500 filming permit for it!
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #29
Regular Crew

EX3 and Nikon adapter

Wondering if you know of any adapters for the EX1 or EX3 that will accept Nikon lenses, but without the glass. Reason is that I'm interested in shooting wildlife and have enjoyed the 7.2x field-of-view/mag.ratio with my JVC HD-100 1/3" in the past (Les Boscher adapter). I was hoping for the increased mag. ratio that 1/2" would have with the EX1 or EX3. I know I won't gain the DOF benefit with adapters like the Letus, however I'm looking more for the increased mag. ratio . I see that Century Optics makes a Sony 1/2" bayonet mount lens adapter for Nikon lenses--I'm wondering if that mount would fit the EX3. Thanks for your input.

Steve Harryman
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned a price for the new Letus?

Thanks
Robb Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds