Letus Ultimate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Letus Ultimate

What's the situation on the letus Ultimate? Will it finally be meant to work for 1/2 chip cameras?? I question the letus extreme and the rest of the 35mm adapters currently on the market besides the P+S Techniks' Pro 35 1/2.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Trustee

What do you mean Dennis? The extreme works so well with the EX1 with the new achromat. I have used the Ultimate on the EX1 and it was great.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
What do you mean Dennis? The extreme works so well with the EX1 with the new achromat. I have used the Ultimate on the EX1 and it was great.
I don't know what Dennis means, but I am pissed off by both Sony's AND Letus' marketing strategy, Phil. I have spent a fortune on someting which is plagued by flaws, and...

...obsolete soon!
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Disjecta

Letus doesn't have a "strategy" to do anything other than make their adapter work with as many cameras as possible. Your post suggests they are doing something deliberately unsavory when the complete opposite is true.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
Letus doesn't have a "strategy" to do anything other than make their adapter work with as many cameras as possible. Your post suggests they are doing something deliberately unsavory when the complete opposite is true.
I never stated that they had a "strategy" or were doing something "deliberately unsavory" . If you go out and buy one for your 1/2 inch chip it's because you choose to do so. Do you think you can take that adapter and interchange it between a 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 chip camera and have all the results the same? There are some pieces of equipment that are "one size fits all" but I just question if this one is one of them. That's all.

I have seen some footage shot on the letus extreme that had some focus issues on the sides and then when asking this question to a professional at a camera dealer which I won't name, whether it is a good idea to put an adapter like the letus extreme on a 1/2 inch chip, he could not really answer me.

If I am wrong please do explain in full detail to me how an adapter like the letus or M2 are one size fits all.

Don't just tell me "your wrong and they work fine on all sizes" I want to know the lowdown just for educational purposes. :)
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Disjecta

Dennis, I was referring to Piotr Wozniacki's post, not yours. I should have put quote from him to make that clear.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The EX1 is far from obsolete. The EX3 is significantly more expensive, and has many features most EX1 users don't necessarily need (TC, Genlock, CCU port, etc.). Technology changes quickly, but the EX1 definitely still has a strong place in the lineup. From what I can tell the letus ultimate is the same sort of thing, a higher end model. I for one would love to have a lot of the features of the EX3, but the EX1 was (and still is) the right price for what I'm doing with it. There is not diabolical plot, no one is scamming you with inferior products, and I for one am happy that they are expanding the EX line. Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about. :)

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The reason an adapter will work regardless of chip size is the stock lens (or relay lens in the case of a Pro35). By framing up on the ground glass, you are balancing the equation. All that changes is for the different chip size is the focal length of the lens required to fill the imager with the ground glass from the adapter. With interchangeable lens cameras the adapter contains a specifically designed relay lens, which is usually designed to cover a specific sensor size. The letus achromat for the EX1 is added to help the lens ensure consistent focus across their ground glass, a difficult thing to do with a stock lens at that image size.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
Steven, I didn't imply any "deliberately unsavory" strategy at all. Also, having been in the hi-tech business for some 25 years now, I perfectly understand no investment in the newest technology can be bullet-proof.

Nevertheless, I feel - to say the least - very disappointed. I spent almost a year trying to convince myself (and many others) that what was considered the Sony's V1 PAL model "flaws" was not a flaw at all. Then, I sold it half-free to be on time on the tapeless-workflow wagon, and bought the EX1 (my story with the particular UK dealer deserves another couple-of-bears chat...).

Then - being sure I was lucky enough just beacuse my EX1 wasn't vignetting (sic !!!), I spent a fortune (to my standards) on the Letus Extreme, and got a unit plagued with all possible kinds of flaws.

And now, I learn all the short-comings of the EX1 to be rectified in the EX3 have been kept secret when I was investing in the EX1. Also, Letus seems to have been developing the new Ultimate model, while neglecting trying to make their Extreme trouble-free.

Well, I hope now your understand why I feel so low.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Don't feel too bad... Acording to Phil Blooms report n the ultimate it will be a lot more expensive and a 'spinner' (i.e. not a vibrating GG). The EX3 isn't even out yet and will cost more as well.

Something that could be an advantage is being able to mount a 35mm adapter straight on the EX or B4 mount, but such options are even further away and would also need a (small?) lens between the GG and the EX, so I don't expect that to be a 'cheap' option.

I believe with the EX1 and Letus you can shoot footage that is on par fully with the EX3.

I see the EX3 as great for multicam, (live) broadcast/studio and traditional ENG work. And that is not to say that you can't do any of that with an EX1, it's just that the 3 interfaces better in such situation. But then again that will cost you.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Major Player

Can someone please answer my last question? I'm just trying to get a detailed explanation about how 35mm adapters can fit on all size chip cameras and look perfect.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
And now, I learn all the short-comings of the EX1 to be rectified in the EX3 have been kept secret when I was investing in the EX1. Also, Letus seems to have been developing the new Ultimate model, while neglecting trying to make their Extreme trouble-free.

Well, I hope now your understand why I feel so low.
Piotr,
Myself, I'm not really having an issue.
It's looking like the EX3 is close to twice the price of the EX1.

Also, just like the EX1, you will still need to buy all the same extras for the EX3, memory, batteries, reader,ect... Also, I imagine one main reason (of course) to own the EX3 over the EX1 would be the possibility of fitting other lenses. This brings the price far beyond an EX1 price point.

If I had the option today to buy the EX1 at $6.5K or the EX3 at $12K, I'd go with the EX1 for sure. Also considering it takes the same quality footage.

Having said that, I wish Sony would get the EX1 issues worked out.
I'm on my second camera which is now at their service center.
All I want is a working EX1.
I'm hoping Sony offers a downloadable software upgrade for end users with a disclaimer to upgrade at your own risk. I know they are swamped with EX1 repairs.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I don't know what Dennis means, but I am pissed off by both Sony's AND Letus' marketing strategy, Phil. I have spent a fortune on someting which is plagued by flaws, and...

...obsolete soon!
That is the silliest thing i have heard today, although I have just got up mind!

Come on Piotr. Neither the Extreme or the EX1 are obsolete or will be for some time.

In my review I clearly state the EX1 is still an amazing camera and I will continue to use it for many years I am sure. The Extreme too is wonderful. Look at my drama Confession, shot of those two. Wait till you see my Death Valley short shot on those two.

You have two incredible tools, stop complaining about them being replaced...they haven't, just two additions in the line up, and get out there and shoot some lovely pictures for us all to see!!!
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Piotr,
Myself, I'm not really having an issue.
It's looking like the EX3 is close to twice the price of the EX1.

Also, just like the EX1, you will still need to buy all the same extras for the EX3, memory, batteries, reader,ect... Also, I imagine one main reason (of course) to own the EX3 over the EX1 would be the possibility of fitting other lenses. This brings the price far beyond an EX1 price point.

If I had the option today to buy the EX1 at $6.5K or the EX3 at $12K, I'd go with the EX1 for sure. Also considering it takes the same quality footage.

Having said that, I wish Sony would get the EX1 issues worked out.
I'm on my scecond camera which is now at their service center.
All I want is a working EX1.
I'm hoping Sony offers a downloadable software upgrade for end users with a disclaimer to upgrade at your own risk. I know they are swamped with EX1 repairs.
Steven, that was very well put. You are having a simple case of "wanting what you can't have" syndrome. I bet any money that if the EX-1 and EX-3 both came out on the same day, over 70% of the folks who bought the EX-1 now would have still gone for the EX-1 for the price. I don;t think that all these folks would have waited for the EX-3 which will be price around 11-13k to purchase it as they would have gone for the RED or maybe even the F-350.

Once you start piling all the equipment and lenses with the EX-3 it easily becomes a 20k camera.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
Can someone please answer my last question? I'm just trying to get a detailed explanation about how 35mm adapters can fit on all size chip cameras and look perfect.
they can't! it takes work to get the adaptors to work with them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds