EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Has anyone tried the 0.6X Century yet? I noticed that it was available on the B&H web site - in stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I was able to get one jpg to upload the tif will still not go. I will keep trying for the 24' and 48' along with the shots with out WA.

Sorry I could only get the one file to go but you see the problem. And this is not random it is in all 6 clips which was on both cameras.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; July 22nd, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #18

I see a fair bit of CA.....not too pleasant.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #19
Major Player

The upper lefthand corner makes me seasick! ;)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #20
Major Player

I have to say that the shape and color of the distortion in the corners is pretty horrible.

Is that full wide?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #21
Major Player

I sure hope that is just a defective WA cause that looks very very bad...I have a Century WA on my SD camera right now and it looks great! I wanted one for the EX1 as well but if this was tested at released for shipping??? Bad news.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I agree I hope this is a defective unit and not normal. My dealer is very slow getting back to me on a RA # which is not good news. I sent them pictures and they said they would talk with Century.
Yes Eric it is full wide. There is 20% of the outer edge of the frame that would not focus at any zoom or settings.
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Not sure how or why but I was able to upload the rest of the stills in jpg.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; July 22nd, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Not quite sure what we're seeing here Paul. All shot with the w/a in place and the camera moved? All shot at max w/a? All shot at f/4 or thereabouts?

I think it would be better to shoot something more 'test-chart' such as a brick wall or side of your house - that way barrel distortion would be more easily assessed and the CA inspected. The camera needs to be perfectly perpendicular to the wall of course.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Tom this was posted earlier.

Here is my test of the Century WA lens for the EX1.

I did a test this morning and thought the results were flawed then I did a second test this afternoon with the same results. The morning test was two cameras side by side with better background so I will post the results of that test. In the next post I will put the pictures from the afternoon test. All pictures are .tif right from FCP 6 to keep as much information as possible.

There are six pictures three with stock lens and three with wide angle from 12 feet, 24 feet, and 48 feet all perpendicular to the wall with in inches.

Settings:
MF
ND2
1080p 30P
-3db
1/60
3.4-4.0

I am focused on the left door in the middle of the wood. I did try the WA option in the menu but there was no change in the results.

I am very disappointed with the distortion of the WA. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the outside edges of the frame in focus. And at 12’ the distortion is huge just look at the upper left corner. I don’t know if I have a flawed unit or not. But why have a WA if you can’t use the whole frame. My lens is going back to the dealer.

This surprised me since my last three WA lens from Century were excellent.

The lens is on the way back I do not need to do more test to prove it is not worth having in my bag. I prefer to do test in real world situations and we do some interviews in front of this building with boats set up behind.

Sorry I can't do more detail test but I am on the road for two weeks as of tomorrow.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; April 19th, 2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: move old post forward, add a few comments.
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #26
Major Player

That's a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I agree I hope this is a defective unit and not normal. My dealer is very slow getting back to me on a RA # which is not good news. I sent them pictures and they said they would talk with Century.
Yes Eric it is full wide. There is 20% of the outer edge of the frame that would not focus at any zoom or settings.
Paul. I have the Sony.8x WA and while it does introduce a slight overall curve to the image, it doesn't cause the riple effect of the Century Product. I only wish I could find a way to remove the built in sunshade.
I was really hoping to purchase the Century.6 as I own 3 of their other adapters, but not if the image quality is that bad. It's really unuseable.
Thanks for posting and good luck with your return.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Craig I would not base the .6x Century on my finding with my .7x Century. Also mine could just be a defect in the first run. I agree I have always had great success with the Century adapters so this was a real disappointment.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #28
Major Player

Can't belive the Century adaptor is that bad. They are normally excellent. Looks to me that something has gone seriously wrong because a WA released like that would detrimentally affect their business.

I also own the Sony EX1 WA and its great value for the oney, though perhaps not quite wide enough and the fixed on shade is a pain.

But it gives far better results than the Century, for a third of the money.

Get onto Century. I am sure they will sort it for you.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I agree Century will sort it out and they will keep putting out a great product. I am not worried since I know they will send a RMA # along and as I said the telephoto is great with a fisheye coming.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #30
Major Player

Paul, I can't wait to see the fish eye...Please post when it arrives as that is on my list too. Did you go for the Extreme? or the cheaper version?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds