EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM   #46
New Boot

Tom,
Thanks for clearing that up. Looking at my other cameras you are correct about the absence of a macro mode. So this just leaves the issue of vignetting.
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #47
Inner Circle

And that's quite an issue. You've not got any filters between the CO and your Fuji, have you? No step-up rings involved here? Vignettes with Steadyshot on or off?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #48
New Boot

Tom,
I have no other filters attached to the camera and no step-up rings. And the vignetting occurs regardless of the Steadyshot bring turned on or off.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:14 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Zunow Wide Angle Released in Japan.

Hey Guys, Here in Tokyo my local Shop now have a Wide Angle Lens made by Japanese Company called ZUNOW. Its supposed to be the first distortion free Wide Angle for the EX1. It was just released here last week. It retails here for 100,00 yen which is about $900 US I think.

The model Number is WEX-075a. Maybe ask your local dealer about getting some in. Its wider, distortion free, and has removable hood so you can attach Matte Box etc.

Looks good. These guys know what they're doing.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Great to hear Alexander, can you possibly post some screen grabs or vid of the same shot with it and without it? Yea, sorry for sounding like a broken record. =)

- Ray
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:14 AM   #51
Inner Circle

A 0.75x wide-angle converter for the EX1 without barrel distortion Alex? Full zoom-through do you know? Should sell well, but pitty it isn't just a bit more powerful.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM   #52
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
Tom,
I have no other filters attached to the camera and no step-up rings. And the vignetting occurs regardless of the Steadyshot bring turned on or off.
Doug,

Please post images of your vignette or email them to me. We have shipped hundreds of .6x attachments with no complaints including use on major feature films. If you wish, we can look at your lens for you but images would be faster to assess the problem to begin.

Ryan Avery
Schnieder Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Hi, Ryan!
Don't you know when the Schnieder Optics will ship semi-fisheye 0.55 and fisheye 0.3? I can't wait to purchase them! :)
Thanks!
Artem Kudrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
A 0.75x wide-angle converter for the EX1 without barrel distortion Alex? Full zoom-through do you know? Should sell well, but pitty it isn't just a bit more powerful.
Raymond, Tom, I'm told it is distortion free 0.75x wide angle with full zoom through. detachable hood. It weighs 840grams. The Sony weighs 630g. I didn't buy it because its a little more than I can afford at the moment. I have asked the shop to send me stills/screen grabs to pass on to the forum. I'm told that Zunow is a well respected small lens manufacturer here. I only know that one other wide angle lens they make for the z1 which can also be used with the HVX is a big seller in Japan.
They build all lenses in Akita, Nothern Japan.
They were at NAB this year but I cant believe that when you google them in English my post from yesterday is third in the list. Unknown outside Japan! Strange.
Will let you know if I hear any more.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Certainly known here in the UK. I took my Z1 to the Video Forum 18 months ago and attached it to the front, but didn't like the barrel distortion then. Hopefully it's improved.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #56
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Doug,

Please post images of your vignette or email them to me. We have shipped hundreds of .6x attachments with no complaints including use on major feature films. If you wish, we can look at your lens for you but images would be faster to assess the problem to begin.

Ryan Avery
Schnieder Optics
Ryan,
Here is a still from the camera with the .6x lens attached. The camera is at full wide (5.6mm). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-ps010075_01_sm.jpg  
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #57
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
Ryan,
Here is a still from the camera with the .6x lens attached. The camera is at full wide (5.6mm). Thanks.
Sometimes we experience vignetting in underscan but doesn't show in the final output to tape or webcast. Your issue seems a whole lot like CCD placement issues that we often expereince only from Sony (no knock on Sony intended, just facts).

Please bear with us as we formulate a solution to the unique challenges presented by this particular camera. We have never seen this much inconsistency from one model to the next in CCD placement. We will verify these issues and have an official solution in the coming weeks.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #58
Tourist

Just got the 0.75 wide angle adapter from Schneider. Nice piece of glass, fits perfectly with the Vocas Mattebox but......There is a major distortion issue with it and the edges are really soft. For me it is totally unusable. I contacted the service department over a week ago. Got a reply saying they would look into it, but since then nothing......Sent a couple of emails...nothing. This is really frustrating especially since I returned my Sony adapter for this one.
Nicolas Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #59
Regular Crew

1.6 tele

Hey Paul,

Any chance you have some examples from your tele? Would love to see full zoom without and with the 1.6.

From my calcs, it should be equivalent to about a 700mm 35mm still image at full zoom with edge crop beginning somewhere around 370mm 35mm equiv. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #60
Inner Circle

David if the weather clear this weekend I will be doing some shooting with the telephoto and will post some stills with and without. You are correct at 50% the image is full frame.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds